AR 4G LTE Markets

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Little Rock/Central AR LTE

I was returning from Little Rock last night, and 4G was displayed even near the Old Military Rd. exit (I couldn't speed test or anything, since I was driving). Either they're testing the sites or they're about to launch areas of Saline County from Benton and areas south. Benton was all 3G, though. I still have not seen any LTE antennas in my city. Sheridan and Bismarck (which is in my county) definitely have LTE antennas, according to American Tower's website images.

palmdroid1

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

I was disappointed with all the rollouts thusfar until this latest. It's obvious they're back at it, just a slow start to the new year. Although they're claming, what, around 27 new markets? Siloam Springs is an expansion on the Ft Smith market. Pine Bluff is more like an expansion on the Little Rock market...closer to a new market than Siloam... But call it an expansion, or a new market, either way, it's growing a lot faster than it was earlier this year. Now they either need to "expand" on Jonesboro's market, or "activate" the Paragould and Blytheville markets! Memphis's area seems to keep getting a little bigger each time I'm over that way, little by little. The 4G signal stayed strong south of Memphis, so all through the city and all around it is now thorougly covered. 4G comes on around Marion now, instead of West Memphis. It keeps getting better, just hope they keep up the faster pace. At this rate (and calling expansions new "markets") they'll easily surpass their 400 market goal this year.

cincyfan

May 8, 2012
Visit site

The Tuesday announcements have come out and not only are no new markets in Arkansas included, but the announcements are for the 17th, not the 10th. So it seems that there's no hope of LTE being turned on in Benton, Malvern or Hot Springs within the next two weeks. I know that Verizon was doing LTE testing in Benton over four months ago but still no service. Everyone I've talked to from reps (they usually are given misinformation) to RF engineers and they've all been "sure" that Benton would be lit over a month ago. It's disheartening at best and maddening at worst.

Another helping of insufferable patience, please.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I looked again on Monday to see if anything changed since the last time I saw the towers. Unless the LTE antennas are being installed in different locations other than the cell sites I know have VZ in Malvern, it's not going to happen here this month for sure. None of them have the antennas, yet. I feel like we're being ignored.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Okay, it appears that the cell site off of Interstate 30 near the Ouachita River got upgraded, but it wasn't easy to see, since the skies were overcast. I took a shot (I know it's not impressive), and it appears that more antennas were added. I will use my camcorder later this week and get a better zoom in on the site.

This is how it looked before.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I got a better shot of the structure. They definitely added antennas, and they removed a few parts, too, below the top antennas. What you can't see is that it appears that another microwave antenna was added well below (I guess it's for the backhaul). Take a look at a better shot of the additions. You can see what it looked like before from the previous post's link.

cincyfan

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Verizon today announced a slew of LTE being added (even on Cape Hatteras) up and down the Eastern seaboard for next Thursday, so I'm still hopeful that there will be some announcement(s) to come out of our region.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

looks like we will have to wait at least another week :(

I think it's going to be July or August until more of areas within an hour of Little Rock that currently do not have LTE will get activated. There's still another site in my city that does not have LTE antennas. I don't live in a community with a bunch of cell sites (I get served by maybe 2-3 sites). When I called customer service complaining about losing my grandfathered unlimited data and how LTE is still not activated yet, I was told originally, more of Central Arkansas was to get it by 1Q of this year, but something happened that delayed the launch.

palmdroid1

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

I was in Paragould over the weekend, the entire town is served by 2 sites. They originally put a 2nd sector on each tower last March, around the same time a lot of the towers in northeast AR got additional equipment added, some equipment taken down from some of the sites. I was assuming at that point, they were adding LTE equipment, however I'm not so sure now, since that was 14 months ago and they still don't have LTE in Paragould. Probably something to do with the Alltel to Verizon conversion. However, I did notice the tower on the northwest corner of town looked different from a distance, so I drove over to it. Sorry, I wasn't thinking to get pictures to post, but I had no before photo, so it wouldn't have been a good before/after comparison. They'd made several changes. Prior, there was no microwave antennas on this tower, at all. And only 2 sectors, one near the top to get north of town, and a lower sector to get the northwest corner of the town. This is a Verizon owned tower site. Now the site has 2 microwave antennas and 3 sectors, with a lot more panels in the sectors, so it looks like they may be close to having LTE in Paragould. If I get over there again, and get a chance, I'll get some pictures, cause us geeks love our cell site pics!

Reactions: One Radical Dude

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Hello again, I have another update to post. The other cell site I know that provides service in Malvern have LTE antennas (on the eastern side near Perla). It's a great sign, and I hope LTE is coming to more areas of Arkansas within the upcoming month or so.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

End of july for Hot springs. city would not release the permits... that is the reason it hasn't been turned on yet

How did you find out? Any reasons why the city wouldn't release the permits? If it weren't for this mess, more places in the state probably would have had LTE by now.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

talked to a guy who has worked for verizon for years. said it has been ready in HS area for a while now, but they haven't been able to turn it on because of the city permits. i imagine when one city does this they don't turn it on for anyone in the surrounding area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia