Are Android tablets dead?? Future of Android tablets!

Are Android tablets dead??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunAFC3

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I know this is an Android forum so I most probably get hate for saying this.... Obviously the iPad definitely has a very bright future ahead because due to it's Apple's ecosystem and the lots of tablet apps that is made for the iPad in the App Store and lastly the huge potential of replacing laptops and desktop in the far future!

But on the other hand it is a completely different story quite opposite actually for Android tablets because:

1. Lack of tablets apps in the Play Store so most of the apps that you run on your Android tablets are blown up phone apps and it is so much worse when it is displayed especially on a big screen Android tablet.

2. The lack of support from manufacturers(Samsung, LG, Asus, etc).

3. Manufacturers are putting more focus on making Windows hybrid/2 in 1 tablets then making Android tablets.

4. Android tablets that being used are 100 pounds sub cheap and underpowered that is only used for watching videos or a mini TV(mainly in poor countries) and are perfect for young kids.

5. Unfortunately the current trend Flagship Android tablets are usually 1 generation behind in hardware to there flagship smartphone except for Google with the Pixel C which I think it should definitely be the other way round so hopefully this trend will reverse it self for very obvious reasons.

6. There is no high end Android tablets that got announced yet so far this year 2016 unfortunately.

So which makes you think are Android tablets dead?? Do they even have a future?? Particularly a bright future??....

I know with Android N will have split screen multitasking just like IOS 9 and Windows for tablets but I really don't think it will make much of a impact for Android tablets in general unfortunately....

I think all Google need to do is to push developers to make more tablets apps for Android tablets and Apple have done it for the iPad so why can't Google do the exactly the same??

Unless Google does something about Android tablets and pushing developers to make lots more tablet apps/games for Android tablets if they don't do something about it then I'm' afraid it is bye bye Android tablets personally I think Android tablets are dead and we will see and have only the fantastic iPad and Windows hybrid/2 in 1 tablets in the tablet market which I think iPad definitely has a very bright future and the same goes for Windows hybrids/2 in 1 tablets and and we will see Android only on smartwatches, and smartphones and phablets.

So what do you think tech lovers?? Are Android tablets dead?? What is the future of Android tablets?? Should Google push developers to make lots more tablet apps in the Play store for Android tablets??

I have owned quite a few Android tablets the Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 9, Sony Xperia Z4 tablet and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 they all was great and definitely high end but not as competitive compared to the iPad and ever since I got my iPad Air 2 back in December all my Android tablets are now collecting dust in my basement, the iPad is definitely so much more better then Android tablets in every single way, I enjoy using iPad so much more then my Android tablets especially mainly due to the big buckets loads of apps/games that are designed for the iPad and other awesome things about the iPad and i definitely have no intention of getting another Android tablet again in the future, getting a iPad over a high end Android tablet or Windows hybrid/2 in 1 tablet is 100% definitely the way to go if you want the very(I mean VERY) best tablet experience!! :)

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The best tablet ever made (Pixel C) (IMO) was released on Android less than 6 months ago and Android N introduces additional features that make it even better in about 6 more months. There are TONS of apps that make good use of space by coding for larger screens, and some devs that need to catch up (including Google in a lot of cases). Samsung is actively making a ton of tablets every year for several different price points. The thing most people are missing is that Android apps, by default, are coded to scale appropriately for most screen sizes and resolutions. So there's no reason for every app to make additional changes - changes to the default only make sense if they have a better way to display more content, etc. than the default. And being a year behind on tech? That's flat out wrong. The Shield Tablet, Nexus 9, Nexus 7, etc. all leaders at their time when they came out with nothing comparable until after their push to prime time. So points 1-5 I would strongly contest and point 6 is one I'd have to check, but the tablets I'm most interested in always announce in Q3 or Q4, so not worried.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Plus... tablets are going to be, well, already are, HUGE in the business sector. Warehouses, restaurants, factory floors, delivery, hospitals.

So even if consumer demand flatlines, the commercial market is still a massive one.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
if you want the very(I mean VERY) best tablet experience!!
That may be true for the iPad Air 2, but I sure can't make that claim for my previous generation iPad Air. Ever since the various iOS 9 updates started showing up on that tablet, my user experience has been less than stellar. My guess is that the Force Touch software that Apple made a big deal of with the iPad Air 2 does not play well with machines whose displays are not Force Touch capable (or with apps that were created before FT became a reality). I also think Apple's swipe-from-the-right multitasking function is more annoying than helpful since swiping right to left is S.O.P. for a number of apps, like News 360 and iBooks. I inadvertently open that stinking multitasking panel nearly every time I use my iPad, and I have to wait for it to fill up with either an open app or app suggestions before I can get rid of it again. All in all, I'm not really willing to accept that the iPad is some sort of unattainable ideal for Android manufacturers.

Android N introduces additional features that make it even better in about 6 more months
Having used N on my Nexus 6 for the past month, I can definitely believe that. The beefed up version of Doze, the amped up notifications that seem to be really well integrated with Google apps, and the (maybe not quite ready for primetime yet) split-screen option in N should all be a shot in the arm for devs and OEMs looking to relax the stranglehold that Infotainment has on tablets (the iPad included) and turn them into a much more flexible medium for productivity apps of all kinds.

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I think Android tablets are at a minimum in a lull and at worst somewhat dying. Chromebooks and in particular 2 in 1 type devices are eating away at the tablet space (as much as Android aficionados don't want to admit).

Myself, I replaced a OG Note 10.1 (which had replaced an OG Nexus 7) with a Surface Pro 3 little over a year ago and haven't looked back. Simply put I get way more functionality (bang for my buck) with it than any Android or Apple tablet can provide (ex. neither can run full desktop applications with the option of using a pen, even in tablet mode!).

In the retail market, I've seen nothing but iPads or custom POS (point of sale) systems, not a single Android tablet! In a corporate environment, it's either Surface Pro's that can be joined to a corporate domain and fully administered/controlled, or iPad's that have similar capability and ZERO Android tablets. Take that how you want, but to me it speaks volumes as to what devices are accepted/being used in their respective environments. That leaves Android tablets to the consumer market where at best they're consumption devices and struggling to keep up as such.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
If anyone insists on getting an Android tablet, go with the RCA 2-in-1's. Both Android and Windows 10, very cheap entry level with decent specs but often cheap build. Very little reason to go with else other than the Fire (OS) tablets or the Surface Line.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think Android tablets are at a minimum in a lull and at worst somewhat dying. Chromebooks and in particular 2 in 1 type devices are eating away at the tablet space (as much as Android aficionados don't want to admit).

Myself, I replaced a OG Note 10.1 (which had replaced an OG Nexus 7) with a Surface Pro 3 little over a year ago and haven't looked back. Simply put I get way more functionality (bang for my buck) with it than any Android or Apple tablet can provide (ex. neither can run full desktop applications with the option of using a pen, even in tablet mode!).

In the consumer market, I've seen nothing but iPads or custom POS (point of sale) systems, not a single Android tablet! In a major corporate environment, I've seen either Surface Pro's that can be joined to a corporate domain and fully administered/controlled, or iPad's that have similar capability and ZERO Android tablets. Take that how you want, but to me it speaks volumes as to what devices are accepted/being used in their respective environments. That leaves Android tablets to the consumer market where at best they're consumption devices and struggling to keep up as such.
I'd point out that the surface line is basically ultra portable laptops with a tablet-ish form, running a desktop OS. They, because of Windows absolutely suck at being a tablet and excel at the things tablets suck at, because it's a laptop.

So for you it's more bang for your buck because that's what you want, a desktop OS with desktop functionality. For me, with my psycho PC setup and desire for an actual tablet, the surface is a paperweight.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If anyone insists on getting an Android tablet, go with the RCA 2-in-1's. Both Android and Windows 10, very cheap entry level with decent specs but often cheap build. Very little reason to go with else other than the Fire (OS) tablets or the Surface Line.
All of those sound horrible. Android only has two good lines of tablets right now, and Amazon isn't one of them and no knockoffs are. If you're decided upon Android, you go high end Samsung or Google. That's it. The rest right now is absolutely garbage. And if you want something that's not Android, iPad is the only choice. No one else makes a decent tablet other than Sammy, G and Apple.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd point out that the surface line is basically ultra portable laptops with a tablet-ish form, running a desktop OS. They, because of Windows absolutely suck at being a tablet and excel at the things tablets suck at, because it's a laptop.

So for you it's more bang for your buck because that's what you want, a desktop OS with desktop functionality. For me, with my psycho PC setup and desire for an actual tablet, the surface is a paperweight.

Yet what does that say about your beloved Pixel C? A device that doesn't really offer anything new over existing Samsung Note tablets such as my OG Note 10.1 (better screen resolution yes, but not compared to newer tablets)... :)

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yet what does that say about your beloved Pixel C? A device that doesn't really offer anything new over my old OG Note 10.1 than I still have... :)
I'm not following you. The pixel C would make a horribad laptop, but it's by far the best tablet out there. It still runs the same OS (just newer, better, more streamlined) and has similar features as an old note, but it's much better spec'd, built, the experience is much better and is most importantly, exactly what I'd want from a tablet.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
This is a great discussion about are Android tablets dead and what is the future of Android tablets.

Keep this thread going guys!! :D

I agree as I'm looking into purchasing my own Samsung tablet for work. I need to see documents on a screen larger than my Note 4. I want my devices to sync well which is why I rather not use my enormous iPad 2 or iPad mini. The tablet needs to be no more than 8 inches or so. It needs to be powerful enough not to slow down when I have 20+ tabs and apps open.

Posted via the Android Central App
no advertisements here.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree as I'm looking into purchasing my own Samsung tablet for work. I need to see documents on a screen larger than my Note 4. I want my devices to sync well which is why I rather not use my enormous iPad 2 or iPad mini. The tablet needs to be no more than 8 inches or so. It needs to be powerful enough not to slow down when I have 20+ tabs and apps open.

Posted via the Android Central App
no advertisements here.
If you don't love the sammy, the shield tablet is pretty awesome too. But if you're used to the Note 4, the Tab S2 is a very close match to it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... that article is almost 4 years old. Not going to comment on your motivations here, but it doesn't seem like you have any interest in having a discussion about this, just fanning some platform fire. Thanks for coming out everyone, this could have been an interesting discussion and I'm sure that we'll have more opportunities to rehash as more tablets are released this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.