Are you using Light Flow - How well does it work on the 6P (Marshmallow)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've heard mixed things about Light Flow. I went to check it out and they have a regular version and a "Legacy" version. If you are using Light Flow, can you tell me how it is working for you and which version you are using?

(I know what it does, just curious if it's working right for you)

Thanks!

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Works just fine for me, using the current version. The persistent notification is not ideal but I got used to it

Holo was bad and you should feel bad

Attachments

• 14398.jpg
    14398.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 298

Chase Nelson1

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I am using legacy because I don't like the persistent notification icon. As far as I know, that is the major difference. According to the developer, legacy means you don't get access to certain features of marshmallow, but for the life of me I don't know what those features are.

Lightflow works great, unless you want to use Ambient Display along with it. For me, if I have Lightflow enabled, Ambient Display constantly comes on and off, whether I have notifications or not. I tried to report the problem but I think the developer sort of dodged it. Some would argue there isn't much point to Ambient Display if you use Lightflow. I see their point. But in an ideal world, I would like both.

TL,DR: it works great!

jorGeorge

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Lightflow works great, unless you want to use Ambient Display along with it. For me, if I have Lightflow enabled, Ambient Display constantly comes on and off, whether I have notifications or not. I tried to report the problem but I think the developer sort of dodged it. Some would argue there isn't much point to Ambient Display if you use Lightflow. I see their point. But in an ideal world, I would like both.
Same issue here and such a shame they won't fix it (at least yet) because I would have really enjoyed the ambient display feature but having it constantly turn on and off was driving me nuts.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

TL,DR: it works great!

I have to decide if I am using the ambient display or not - it hasn't sunk in. I think I've glanced at it a few times.

What's TL, DR?

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit that Lightflow has been buggy for me on the 6P: it won't work properly with my business Exchange email account (set up through the native Gmail client); I can't get it to give notifications for SMS or MMS consistently, even when I switched to Hangouts; and it is eating up my battery. I could be imagining things, but it seemed to get ever worse after the 6.0.1 update. I take that back: my battery life absolutely suffered after the OS update and Lightflow was consistently listed as the single biggest drain over the past few days but, after I uninstalled Lightflow yesterday and replaced it with the Light Manager app my battery life has rebounded significantly. Light Manager is not as full-featured as Lightflow (just using the free version while I try it out), but it provides the basic notification functionality I was looking for flawlessly and it does not adversely affect my battery life ... so far.

Last edited:

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
i dont have a persistant notification. i disabled i on settings and it works fine i guess

I assume you meant Android App Settings for light flow? If so I did that also but stopped working a couple of weeks ago. You can no longer block the notification.

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have both the Legacy version and the full version installed. I have the icon for the Legacy version hidden and use the full version. Read the app description, and also the link to the reasons. It may be of some help. Lightflow seems to be doing exactly as I want it to. And as Chase Nelson1 said in a previous post, "According to the developer, legacy means you don't get access to certain features of marshmallow, but for the life of me I don't know what those features are."

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....android.lightflowlegacy&hl=en&token=aJhgpIZ5

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It's been working okay, but not as good as it was on previous version/phones. The persistent notification is fine in theory, except that the icon will appear in the status bar for a split second and then disappear. It's annoying seeing that every time you wake your phone.

Also I've noticed that the cycling of notifications doesn't always work properly. I'll see the LED flashing for one particular notification, but when I unlock my phone, I'll actually see many more notifications that LightFlow wasn't cycling through.

Lastly is that not all selectable LED colors are functioning on the 6P. I'm limited to RGB, Cyan, Yellow and a few others, but I know Pink and Orange do not work and default to one of the working colors.

I've been using the paid version for years and I'm dealing with these quirks, but I'm close to trying Light Manager to see if that's any better.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I use the regular version and it works fine MOST of the time. The persistent notification bar presence is a bit annoying but you'll get use to it.

The Legacy version is good, if you only need the notification to work from select few apps. I had to switch back to the regular version because of the app support was extremely limited.

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Not working for me on 5X (Marshmallow). Worked well on Nexus 4, so I know how to set it up.

But now :
- Incoming call displays green light when LF is set to red
- SMS sometimes no light or sound, sometimes wrong colour of light, sometime right light and sound
- Missed Call set to clear when Notification Removed - but removing the notification from the Android Notification bar doesn't remove the notification within LF so you have to go there and remove it too.

Have sent 2 emails to developer and not heard back. He used to be very responsive. About ready to give up on it.

- R.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Used Light Flow for years until the 6p. Finally switched to Light Manager and it works much better. The developer of LF just doesn't seem to care about his app anymore.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I use it, love it, actually. With respect to previous comments about the developer.... Me, I've gotten personal emails from him.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I actually just heard from the developer. Apparently he was on holidays. I've sent him some background he requested so we'll see where this takes us now. As an FYI, I've always found him very responsive and helpful in the past.

- R.

Sparky1306

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the Legacy version and it has worked well for me. I use Hangouts (and Messenger before that), Google Inbox, Facebook, and the default dialer and everything works well for me. I had to go with Legacy cause I couldn't stand the persistent notification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45