Asus TF300 HORRENDOUS video playback? Is this a JOKE?

daveross

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Asus TF300 HORRENDOUS video playback? Is this a JOKE?

?Sorry, cannot play this video? WHAT????

So having been a long time buyer of Asus motherboards, and not a fan of the overhyping and over-priced Ipads, yet still searching for a better value than Samsung's tablets, I look at what seems to be decent reviews of hardware that SHOULD blow the Ipads away (except for the Ipads higher screen resolution) and certainly meet my needs for multimedia playback-I didn't want just a portable web browser.

I do some research and everything seems to look ok, but after receiving the TF300 and trying to play videos I come to find that apparently this tablet has extreme difficulty playing just about any video format, and contrary to one user?s suggestion size doesn?t matter. I start doing searches for ?TF300 Sorry cannot play this video? and find I?m not alone.

The worst part? ALL the videos in question play GREAT from start to finish on my Samsung Galaxy S3. I was first clued in during the file copy process. Had the TF300 connected via it?s cable and began copying over videos in Windows Explorer, was constantly greeted with ?the file cannot be copied? or something like that. This is copying to a brand new 32 GB MicroSD card-the same brand new 32 GB card I use on my Galaxy S3.

So I put the card into a card reader and everything copies fine. Put the card back into the TF300, and every movie I attempt to play will play for around 10 minutes max, then it will start choking (as if I was feeding it full uncompressed HD video or something) then freezes completely and I get a ?The video cannot be played? error message. This happens regardless of ?balanced mode or performance mode? setting, and as you?ll see below regardless of file size.

The videos:

? Are all DVD or Bluray rips that play fine on my smaller, only DUAL CORE cpu Samsung Galaxy S3.
? Usually 1 GB or less in file size. 1 is only 500MB and one is only 600MB.
? Are in mp4 format mostly, and created with Vidcoder (based on handbrake) (some mkv, and I?ve read others having the same issue even with .avi) I used the ?Android High? preset.

The apps used:

• Mx Player (on it?s own first, then installed ArmV7 codec pack per some suggestions-no change)
  • BS Player Free
  • Moboplayer (which seem to last a few minutes longer before it freezes and give the ?video cannot be played error)
  • The built-in stock video player
  • ES Media Player?s video player

Note that ALL these very same apps play these very same files just fine on my Galaxy S3.

I can?t FATHOM that anyone would buy a tablet, laptop, or any portable PC device and not expect to watch movies on it. This thing bills itself as a multimedia power house with quad core CPU etc. well multimedia is more than just games.

Anyone have recommendations for a better tablet that actually works properly besides the Ipad-(which is close to $700-800 last I checked with 64 GB memory!)

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I rip all my DVDs and BluRays to MP4 and they all play great either loaded right on the device or streaming from our server PC. Can't say I've run into your problem before.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You said you used MX... Did you get just the stock app or both the Armv7 codec as well?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

daveross

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes as I mentioned above I did try the arm7 codec as well with mx. Looks like this is all from a DEFECTIVE but BRAND NEW 32GB card that apparently had trouble reading (and sometimes writing to) Swapped the identical card from my GalaxyS3 and all is fine. Copied over the exact data, swapped the cards back and fortha few more times and had the same problem everytime.

kurosenpai

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes as I mentioned above I did try the arm7 codec as well with mx. Looks like this is all from a DEFECTIVE but BRAND NEW 32GB card that apparently had trouble reading (and sometimes writing to) Swapped the identical card from my GalaxyS3 and all is fine. Copied over the exact data, swapped the cards back and fortha few more times and had the same problem everytime.

Good for you.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Cherokee5150

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I heard Google play doesnt support flash player now on the 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. Is there something I can do to my Transformer TF300T to make it compatible with flash player ?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I heard Google play doesnt support flash player now on the 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. Is there something I can do to my Transformer TF300T to make it compatible with flash player ?

You have to download it somewhere else. I did that to mine and Flash runs smoothly. Would you like a link?

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali