AT&T 3G network shut down

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
OK, so it happened today. AT&T shut down my 4G Asus Z6. Can't make or receive calls. It still does everything else. Spent 4 hours on the phone with AT&T. Everyone I spoke to had a different answer. "We can make your phone work, your phone was locked because you switched your SIM, your phone will work because you switched your SIM back, (made 2 calls, then stopped working), you need to buy a new phone, you don't need to buy a new phone, you will get a call when it is fixed, etc etc etc!!

Later I got this text:
Hi, it's AT&T. Great news! You can now use your cell phone on our upgraded network. We hope you enjoy doing all the things you love - even faster. Thank you for choosing AT&T.

I made 2 calls, then it stopped again!!
My ancient S7 Active still works!! (Refurbished from Amazon ������)
I prefer not to switch AT&T, even though I'm furious with them, but I guess I need a new phone. I agree with your idea of buying a cheap one, but don't know which one. Does anything have expandable memory? I don't want to give up my SD card. ������ I love my Z6 and will probably replace it at a later date. Right now it's an emergency!!

Thanks for any advice!!

The Galaxy A13 5G is sold AT&T prepaid carrier locked for $199 at Walmart and in AT&T stores for $249 and would be my primary choice based on price value. The Galaxy A series had more elevated performance mid-tier devices if you're willing to pay more. I personally wouldn't because this whole 5G transition won't be optimized for 12-18 months so I'd save the flagship money on all carriers for another 12-24 months since the other carriers are behind AT&T with the actual shutdown.

Last edited by a moderator:

OTCHRussell

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
The Galaxy A13 5G is sold AT&T prepaid carrier locked for $199 at Walmart and in AT&T stores for $249 and would be my primary choice based on price value. The Galaxy A series had more elevated performance mid-tier devices if you're willing to pay more. I personally wouldn't because this whole 5G transition won't be optimized for 12-18 months so I'd save the flagship money on all carriers for another 12-24 months since the other carriers are behind AT&T with the actual shutdown.

Thanks, Chuck. I will probably go look at that one. My problem is that my current flagship phone (Asus z6) is the one they trashed. The Galaxy S7, that I keep in my car for emergencies, works fine (for a slow, out of date, miserable phone to use).
I may have to replace BOTH of them! 😥

PS I just had to recycle an old Motion that had a swollen battery. It lived in a drawer and probably would have exploded if I hadn't noticed it!! No more saving useless phones!! 😆

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Chuck. I will probably go look at that one. My problem is that my current flagship phone (Asus z6) is the one they trashed. The Galaxy S7, that I keep in my car for emergencies, works fine (for a slow, out of date, miserable phone to use).
I may have to replace BOTH of them! ������

PS I just had to recycle an old Motion that had a swollen battery. It lived in a drawer and probably would have exploded if I hadn't noticed it!! No more saving useless phones!! ������

AT&T has some great deals on flagship Galaxys and Pixels too but the A13 5G is 4/64 and I'll keep for 12-18 months at most. This is just a peculiar time where buying any flagship isn't as optimal as USA transitions off 3G and VoLTE isn't enough in all situations.

For the record, I really like my factory unlocked 5a too and it's AT&T supported as well but isn't guaranteed AT&T optimization.

OTCHRussell

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
AT&T has some great deals on flagship Galaxys and Pixels too but the A13 5G is 4/64 and I'll keep for 12-18 months at most. This is just a peculiar time where buying any flagship isn't as optimal as USA transitions off 3G and VoLTE isn't enough in all situations.

For the record, I really like my factory unlocked 5a too and it's AT&T supported as well but isn't guaranteed AT&T optimization.

Long day, but I made some decisions that I think will work for me.
I went to the ATT store and really lucked out with the sales lady that took care of me. More brains than most! And nice to boot. I said I wanted a cheap phone to hold me over till decided what flagship I wanted. She asked me why I didn't trade my S7 for a free S22. Then go to Best Buy for my second cheap phone as ATT doesn't carry old models. I didn't believe her that it was free!! The only downside is you have to have a 3 year contract. Since I have been with AT&T for 30 years I figured I could do that! They charge you about $45/month, but also credit you $45!! The only thing you have to pay is the tax.
That was for the 128 GB model. Since it has no SD I figured I could spring for $50 for the 256 GB model! It's out of stock but will be delivered in a few weeks.
Meanwhile, I ran over to Best Buy, but the only cheap phones they had were 4g.
Back to Amazon - ordered One Plus NORD N200 5G, but can't figure out if is GSM or if it will work on ATT!! The saga continues 😆. It is unlocked.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I went to the ATT store and really lucked out with the sales lady that took care of me. More brains than most! And nice to boot. I said I wanted a cheap phone to hold me over till decided what flagship I wanted. She asked me why I didn't trade my S7 for a free S22. Then go to Best buy for me second cheap phone as ATT doesn't carry old models. I didn't believe her that it was free!! The only downside is you have to have a 3 year contract. Since I have been with AT&T for 30 years I figured I could do that! They charge you about $45/month, but also credit you $45!! The only thing you have to pay is the tax.
That was for the 128 GB model. Since it has no SD I figured I could spring for $50 for the 256 GB model! It's out of stock but will be delivered in a few weeks.
Back to Amazon - ordered One Plus NORD N200 5G, but can't figure out if is GSM or if it will work on ATT!! The saga continues . It is unlocked.
That Nord phone is for T‐Mobile, not AT&T. https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-nord-n200-5g-4g-bands-carrier-support/

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much Laura. I was wondering where to find that list. My Z6 is not on the list.
I have ordered the Samsung A32 5G refurbished, as it is for a spare phone, and will cancel the one plus.
You're welcome, Russell. Good luck with your new phones.

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S10+. I've been happy with both. I've also used LG and Moto phones in the past. Unfortunately, LG has been discontinued, and Moto is terrible in terms of updates.

OTCHRussell

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
You're welcome, Russell. Good luck with your new phones.

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S10+. I've been happy with both. I've also used LG and Moto phones in the past. Unfortunately, LG has been discontinued, and Moto is terrible in terms of updates.

I can't wait till they come! S22 is backordered. So I'm carrying my S7 active so I can call people, but nobody but my husband knows that phone#, so I'm also carrying the Z6 for text and voice messages because that's my published # LOL.

Old time CrackBerry member here. Started with BlackBerry Bold!! Had many BBs, ended up going Android because BB did and happy they eased me into it as I don't like iPhone.
I learned so much from CrackBerry, did phone trades with members, had fun. Now enjoying Android Central.
My friends think I'm a Geek, I tell them, no, just a Crackberrian lol.
The saleslady at AT&T said nobody ever asked her how much RAM a phone had before!!
Judy

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I went to the ATT store and really lucked out with the sales lady that took care of me. More brains than most! And nice to boot. I said I wanted a cheap phone to hold me over till decided what flagship I wanted. She asked me why I didn't trade my S7 for a free S22. Then go to Best Buy for my second cheap phone as ATT doesn't carry old models. I didn't believe her that it was free!! The only downside is you have to have a 3 year contract. Since I have been with AT&T for 30 years I figured I could do that! They charge you about $45/month, but also credit you $45!! The only thing you have to pay is the tax.
Back to Amazon - ordered One Plus NORD N200 5G, but can't figure out if is GSM or if it will work on ATT!! The saga continues ������. It is unlocked.

The current deal is awesome. I've been with AT&T predecessor McCaw days, summer of '90 or so,, but I'm waiting to see how the 5G transition goes with TMO and VZW as well. I've got a long-time 10 line non-5G grandfathered account but I'm not using all the lines as much anymore. I have one daughter going off to school next year and one more daughter two years later. When they go off, I usually cut another line if they're not using.

For anyone here that will commit to current AT&T requirements, the current trade-in deal is really the best out there. It's best to setup a new 5G plan at same time if you don't already have one with them and remember 5Ge is not 5G with AT&T now.

OTCHRussell

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
The current deal is awesome. I've been with AT&T predecessor McCaw days, summer of '90 or so,, but I'm waiting to see how the 5G transition goes with TMO and VZW as well. I've got a long-time 10 line non-5G grandfathered account but I'm not using all the lines as much anymore. I have one daughter going off to school next year and one more daughter two years later. When they go off, I usually cut another line if they're not using.

For anyone here that will commit to current AT&T requirements, the current trade-in deal is really the best out there. It's best to setup a new 5G plan at same time if you don't already have one with them and remember 5Ge is not 5G with AT&T now.

Chuck, you have often been a great help to me, even in my old BlackBerry Bold days on Crackberry!!
I guess I have just been coasting the last 2 years, very happy with my Asus Z6, and not paying attention to the mobile world around me changing. I'm just learning about 5G and don't know what 5Ge is.
I have been with AT&T since the Cingular days!!
I have learned to stop thinking "outside of the box" and will stick with the popular brands so I don't get shut out by my carrier again!! 😁
I'm getting too old to think that much on my own!!!
Thanks
Judy
PS it's $22/month with $22month credit!!

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Chuck, you have often been a great help to me, even in my old BlackBerry Bold days on Crackberry!!
I guess I have just been coasting the last 2 years, very happy with my Asus Z6, and not paying attention to the mobile world around me changing. I'm just learning about 5G and don't know what 5Ge is.
I have been with AT&T since the Cingular days!!
I have learned to stop thinking "outside of the box" and will stick with the popular brands so I don't get shut out by my carrier again!! 😁
I'm getting too old to think that much on my own!!!
Thanks
Judy
PS it's $22/month with $22month credit!!

Notoriously, AT&T did some 4G LTE improvements circa 2019 that were significant enough to call inter-generation better enhancing but not truly 5G technology. Therefore, AT&T labeled the service level with compatible devices, 5Ge and the little e stands for "evolution" like in the middle between 4G and 5G technology.

Around 10 years ago, the same thing was done with the upgraded 3G technology, 4G HSPA, which SURPRISE wasn't really 4G LTE so it was called Faux G and 3.5 G amongst other names. For now, it's not even just popular models and brands, it's like the old 2000s with carrier sold models being necessary for usability. I do feel this is temporary but the carriers will be transitory for 12-24 months

OTCHRussell

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Notoriously, AT&T did some 4G LTE improvements circa 2019 that were significant enough to call inter-generation better enhancing but not truly 5G technology. Therefore, AT&T labeled the service level with compatible devices, 5Ge and the little e stands for "evolution" like in the middle between 4G and 5G technology.

Around 10 years ago, the same thing was done with the upgraded 3G technology, 4G HSPA, which SURPRISE wasn't really 4G LTE so it was called Faux G and 3.5 G amongst other names. For now, it's not even just popular models and brands, it's like the old 2000s with carrier sold models being necessary for usability. I do feel this is temporary but the carriers will be transitory for 12-24 months
Thanks for the info.