AT&T: Sprint-SoftBank deal gives Japanese 'control of significantly more US wireless spectrum..."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
AT&T: Sprint-SoftBank deal gives Japanese 'control of significantly more US wireless spectrum..."

AT&T: Sprint-SoftBank deal gives Japanese firm 'control of significantly more US wireless spectrum than any other company'

The viability of SoftBank's majority acquisition of Sprint is a big question as the deal progresses through various regulatory bodies in the coming months, but AT&T may be signaling today that it could take issue in a statement released by vice president Brad Burns:

AT&T: Softbank's acquisition of Sprint and the control it gains over Clearwire will give one of Japan's largest wireless companies control of significantly more U.S. wireless spectrum than any other company. We expect that fact and others will be fully explored in the regulatory review process. This is one more example of a very dynamic and competitive U.S. wireless marketplace, which is an important fact for U.S. regulators to recognize.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Ry correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a foreign company also own the majority stake in att. So doesn't that alone just negate any opinion they have in the matter?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Sprint was the last to sell out to a foreign company. Att, Verizon and tmobile are all owned by foreign companies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Reply

Ry correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a foreign company also own the majority stake in att. So doesn't that alone just negate any opinion they have in the matter?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Which company?

T-Mobile USA is in with the Germans.
Verizon Wireless is in with the British.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T: Sprint-SoftBank deal gives Japanese 'control of significantly more US wireless spectrum...

Sprint was the last to sell out to a foreign company. Att, Verizon and tmobile are all owned by foreign companies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My understanding is that Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T are all publicly traded American companies. T-Mobile is privately owned by Deutsche Telekom (a German company) but that's about to change with the T-Mobile and Metro merger, assuming it happens. It would make T-Mobile publicly traded on NYSE.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: AT&T: Sprint-SoftBank deal gives Japanese 'control of significantly more US wireless spectrum...

My understanding is that Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T are all publicly traded American companies. T-Mobile is privately owned by Deutsche Telekom (a German company) but that's about to change with the T-Mobile and Metro merger, assuming it happens. It would make T-Mobile publicly traded on NYSE.

Verizon Wireless is a partnership between Verizon and Vodafone (55/45).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sirius_A