AT&T Tab S 8.4 Lollipop - Not yet released, waiting thread

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, just read today that AT&T released the Android Lollipop update for the Tab S 10.5. Hoping that means Lollipop isn't too long of a wait for those of us with the AT&T Tab S 8.4.

As far as I can tell the 10.5 on AT&T is pretty much the same tablet as the 8.4 on AT&T. If so, I'm hoping the wait for Lollipop on the 8.4 isn't too far behind. I like the 8.4 on AT&T but it's always felt laggy, probably due to TouchWiz. Yeah I know I could do another launcher and I have but as bad as TouchWiz can be I still like it.

Anyone else out there with a Tab S 8.4 on AT&T?

Edit 6/16/2016 - AT&T released the Lollipop update today. See post 11

Last edited:

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for Tab S 8.4 wifi to update. If the carriers get the update out before Samsung does to its wifi models, I'll cry. Just a single tear, but it will be concentrated with great sadness.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for Tab S 8.4 wifi to update. If the carriers get the update out before Samsung does to its wifi models, I'll cry. Just a single tear, but it will be concentrated with great sadness.

I will be crying as well. I still go home every day, hit check for update and get a little more pissed when i see that its all up to date.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I will be crying as well. I still go home every day, hit check for update and get a little more pissed when i see that its all up to date.

I've basically given up.
"KitKat4Lyfe" (That's what I tell myself to convince myself that it's okay. Deep down... I know it's all a lie)

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
To see if the 8.4 is better with lollipop would probably have to go to threads here where people are using an 8.4 with lollipop already

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
May be getting closer to 5.0.2 on Tab S 8.4 on AT&T. Read that in addition to Tab S 10.5 on AT&T, earlier this week T-Mobile and just today Verizon released 5.0.2 for their 10.5's. Seems odd the pattern here, 3 different carriers, all the same device (yes I know each has different bloatware and such) released their Lollipop update in one weeks time.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that the 10.5 and the 8.4 are on completely different timelines. I doubt the carriers get the 8.4 update anytime soon. We still don't have it on the wifi US version of the 8.4 however the 10.5 has had it for awhile now.

Just think of the timeline like this. The first mark is when samsung released lollipop. 2nd mark is for the wifi versions in the US. 3rd mark is for carriers in the us. (this is going based on past history here) i would guess the carrier versions have a while to go.

|------|------------|-------10.5---------------|
****************|-------|-----------|---8.4----------------------|

*Ignore the stars, i used them for spacing.

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
This sure is interesting. I knew updates highly dependent on the carrier. The big 4, at&t, Verizon, t-mobile and sprint all go their own way with updates.

All four carriers released Lollipop for the carrier versions of the 10.5 within a week.

I've read about updated for phones like the LG G3. Some carriers got it out fast some took a lot longer. Same device, but different networks and add to that carrier bloatware.

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe lollipop for the AT&T Tab S 8.4 is getting close. Reports today of Verizon releasing Lollipop for their Tab S 8.4.

If the Tab S 10.5 carrier updates a few weeks back is an indication might get released this week. I'm hoping since all four major carriers release Lollipop for the 10.5 within one week the same may apply to the carrier versions of the 8.4

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine was a bit laggy after the upgrade. But as I've known for awhile after a major OS update it's usually best to do a factory reset which is what I did. Yeah setting everything up again from scratch isn't any fun.

I doubt this tablet will see Android 5.1 higher and not likely Android M at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak