AT&T Unite Explore - low RSRQ compared to phones

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the middle of converting from a wireline (Comcast) Internet connection to 3 phones + hotspot on the AT&T Unlimited Plus for Business plan. I have a Galaxy S7 Edge, an LG G6, and an iPhone 6S+ on the plan, and recently acquired an AT&T Unite Explore hotspot to bridge to my home router for "home" Internet.

I'm in the middle of a stand of pine trees. My house has aluminum siding. Signal indoors is nonexistent, outside is okay. So my house is served by a brand new Wilson WeBoost Connect 4G and I divided signal between 2 inside antennas. I've invested about 8 hours adjusting the Yagi "just right" to see a couple of the strongest towers.

My phones are quite happy with this repeater and get okay data speeds, RSRQ is anywhere between -9 and -15 on average on the phones depending on how close to an antenna you are. As expected the Wilson adds more noise to the SNR but also increases signal by a lot, so my phones have very few problems with the "poorer quality but stronger" signal.

However, the Unite Explore seems a lot less happy with the repeater than any of my phones. It actually seems somewhat happier putting the hotspot where it can eke out a week signal without assistance, which is the exact opposite of what the phones like best. Put the Unite Explore and one of my phones directly in front of one of the Wilson antennas, the phone will see 4 bars (RSRQ -8 to -7) while the Unite Explore will get almost nothing.

I've ordered an inexpensive "pigtail" (spiral base) antenna in the hopes that it's just a pathetic internal antenna on the Unite Explore reading too much noise from the boosted/repeated signal. I could also get a 3-way splitter and an adapter to plug the Unite Explore directly in as a third "indoor antenna" to the Wilson repeater, but that will cost me another 3.5db on each of the two internal antennas - though if that means I can get 10+ mbps from the hotspot then it would be totally worth it.

Is there anyone out there with experience with the Unite Explore in marginal signal areas, an in particular using it with a repeater? Any thoughts on using an external antenna with it? Other than a simple antenna connected to one or both of the TS9 ports (I'm starting with a single $12 decently-rated antenna just to see if a better antenna helps at all) any advice?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.