Question Printing on a networked usb printer

samsungandroid

Oct 13, 2023
Visit site
How to print from my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy A32) to a Canon Pixma G2510, the printer is connected by usb to a WiFi repeater (an old repurposed router, now functioning as a mesh repeater, a Fritz!Box 3490) part of a WiFi mesh in my home, the mesh master being a Fritz!Box 7530 WiFi router. There is one other mesh repeater in the network, a Fritz!Box Repeater 3000.
The address of the mesh repeater with the printer connected to it via usb is 192.168.178.31, and the location of the printer in my Linux network is 192.168.178.31:9100.

I can print from any of my WiFi or LAN connected Linux machines on the home network, to the Canon printer, So I am assuming that the problem is not with the printer, but no matter what I try in the Android phone, the printer is not found. The mesh repeater identifies the printer, connected to its usb socket.

I have tried using the Canon app, and also the Canon Print Services app in the phone but they don't find the printer either, even if fed the above location in various forms and it is not listed in the available printer options by either of those apps.

I've tried to access online chat from Canon but that isn't functioning.

Is it possible to print from Android with this setup in the same way that I print on it with my Linux machines?

I am fairly new to smart phones and Android.

All advice gratefully received.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. I print form my device all the time, it is very possible. When I experience problems it's because I'm not on the same router as my printer. So everyone has 2 or 3 routers these days, usually a 2.4 and 5 Ghz connection. Even though they may be the same machine and connect to the same internet service they are not seen as the same. So first be sure that your wifi connection on your phone is the same one the printer is using. Then try using the app to connect. See if that helps.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you installed the Canon printer app? My printer is from HP, but most printers require Android apps. My previous Epson printer also required installation of an app from Google Play Store.

Did you allow all necessary permissions for the printer apps?

Reactions: mustang7757

samsungandroid

Oct 13, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. I print form my device all the time, it is very possible. When I experience problems it's because I'm not on the same router as my printer. So everyone has 2 or 3 routers these days, usually a 2.4 and 5 Ghz connection. Even though they may be the same machine and connect to the same internet service they are not seen as the same. So first be sure that your wifi connection on your phone is the same one the printer is using. Then try using the app to connect. See if that helps.
Thx for Yr reply.
1. It isn't a WiFi printer. It is a network printer connected to a mesh repeater by USB..
2. It is on the same network, it's a mesh, and it is connected by USB to the mesh which manages the2.4 & 5G seamlessly.
3. It all works fine by Linux Mint, using a network address of 192.168.178.31 and port 9100.
4. I've tried the "direct connection" app in android 13 and three separate Canon printing apps. None can detect the printer whether via automatic detection or by adding via itsIP address. The Canon apps all seem to only look for WiFi enabled printers. Yet adding it as a network printer in Linux was so simple - available to WiFi connected laptop and LAN connected desktop PC.
5. The printer shows up on the network as a connected device on the mesh repeater interface. The phone shows up on the network via the mesh master interface.

But on android? It's invisible!

samsungandroid

Oct 13, 2023
Visit site
Have you installed the Canon printer app? My printer is from HP, but most printers require Android apps. My previous Epson printer also required installation of an app from Google Play Store.

Did you allow all necessary permissions for the printer apps?
Yes, all 3 of them, as I stated in my OP, and yes, I gave them permissions. They seem only to be looking for WiFi enabled printers - my printer is never listed or doesn't have the buttons the apps tell me to press.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK only WiFi printers work with Android. I used to have a Brother printer set up as a network printer in Windows not Linux, and I couldn't print using any Android devices. That's why I retired that printer and purchased a WiFi printer.

Reactions: mustang7757

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej