Atrix vs Infuse

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi all- I have a new Infuse 4G which I've been using for about 2-3 weeks. I like the device a lot, and don't really notice much lag, except in the browser, where there's a lot of checkerboarding.

However, I have the opportunity to trade it for an Atrix and was wondering about some things, so I figured I would bring it to the Atrix community--

1. How is the responsiveness of the keyboard? As a longtime BB user, it took me forever to get used to a touch keyboard, and having used the Infuse and the Evo, I have to say that I think Android is less responsive than WP7 or iOS keyboard wise. There are random freezes and lockups, and I've heard these are especially bad on the Atrix. Any experiences like this?

2. I use my phone primarily in portrait mode, and I've heard the Atrix is very narrow and typing in portrait is almost as bad as using a 3.5in device (cramped). Anyone have this issue?

3. I've heard the phone, despite being dual core, experiences a lot of random lag. Like, it'll be fine 90% of the time, but then it will randomly become unusable for short stretches of time?

4. There are some reports that the phone has a regular LCD and some that the phone has a SuperLCD. Which is it? Anyone have any comparisons to a Super Amoled Plus display?

I have looked at many reviews, but I know the phone has received a major software update fixing many issues... So I am looking for overall anecdotal evidence from the community post-update.

Thanks in advance!

cpatel112

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I am no expert on the atrix, I have had the phone for roughly a few months. I never used the multitouch keyboard, I have been using Swype, and it is pretty responsive and accurate, that helps with the portrait mode I suppose. I use either my thumb or index finger. I primarily use the phone in portrait as well.

I am not sure about the lag, I have never had issues with the phone freezing or lagging at all, that could be because I do not have too many apps on the phone yet. I primarily use the phone for business.

I am not too sure what screen the phone has, but once you put a protective shield on the screen, I do not think it really matters. I have the Zagg invisible shield on my phone, and the quality of the screen is fine.

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Atrix, since the original release date.

I came to Atrix(and Android OS) from years of various Palm devices. I did find the Atrix portrait-mode keyboard cramped, but I got used to it. You can always turn the device sideways into landscape-mode, and it quite instantly becomes spacious. I've heard that some apps don't function well in landscape, but I've yet to run into one. So I have no issue with it.

I can say that the keyboard has hesitated, but it is so rare and so brief, that I can't pinpoint the cause or even how many times it has occurred. I don't even give it a thought. It's just not a real issue for me, at all.

I've never had my Atrix become unusable or unstable, even for a moment. But, experience has taught me to restart all my mobile phones once or twice per week, and that seems to keep them fast and stable.

Preferences for the quality of device displays is a personal one. Most Atrix owners, here, seem to like theirs. I do not like the Atrix display. But, again, that's my own preference. I keep hearing how wonderful the SuperAmoled plus display is, but I've never seen one. So, I can't advise you, there.

Motorola has issued patches and updates for the Atrix, and there are serious rumors that a major update to the OS will occur in July. I am, by nature, skeptical, so I just wait and see. The worst problem that I have with my Atrix is the so-called "muffled voice" plague, and no Motorola update has solved it, for me.

Jim Ahrman

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the Atrix and i got my dad the Infuse for fathers day. I've spent a little time with his..not a lot yet..
The screen on the Infuse is very good, but we both have Otterbox's on it to protect it... I'm happy with Atrix I guess from my stand point, i'll look at how big infuse is compared to atrix. My dad also doesn't have a ton of stuff loaded on his yet, but hasn't had it that long either. I have a lot of stuff loaded on mine, only a couple of them are games. I've only had a couple of odd things happen, once after a real long call..over an hour for work, the phone automatically rebooted on me. And I agree with attweco that a reboot is good once or twice a week, depending on how heaving of a user you are and how many apps you use.
Again..as others have said..it comes down to person preference..i'm happy with atrix, all phones/computers will have glitches.. i haven't had the wifi issue that has been reported by many. The size is right for me also. I would just look at it this way..if your happy with the Infuse... is the grass always greener on the other side? I would probably be happy with either of them, size wasn't a huge deal to me..but when you put the otterbox on it..does seem like your carrying a small laptop around on your hip :) but a nice phone.

justindclark

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the Atrix since launch and it's my third Android handset after a HTC G2 and a Samsung Captivate.

1. For me the Atrix keyboard has worked great. It does lag very occasionally but no more than any other software keyboard I've tried and less than the Captivate.

2. The Atrix keyboard will definitely feel cramped coming from the Infuse but it's by no means difficult to use.

3. No lag for me apart from inside some low quality apps.

4. It does not have a SuperLCD display, it has a high-quality qHD LCD. With the Atrix you're gonna have a Gorilla Glass covered, higher resolution screen with lower contrast and less vivid color. Sunlight visibility is okay, usable but not great.

The build quality of the Atrix is top-notch, battery life is above Android average and I have had no issues with the audio components, on my device they all sound superb. My main issue with this phone is that this is my third one and all of them have developed a gray spot of discoloration slightly below the center of the screen that shows on solid colors. I have no idea what it is but if I had to guess I would blame the Tegra 2.
Another thing, the Infuse camera blows the Atrix out of the water.

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the comparisons guys! Apart from a few cool features that don't really seem all that usable in day to day life (Oooh Dual Core! Ooooh Fingerprint Reader!), I can't see that much difference between the Atrix and the Infuse.

I think, because the Infuse has faster HSPA+ as well, I will stick with it. There are a few times when lag gets to me (it's only 1.2GHZ, not dual core), but they are infrequent.

Maybe I'll reconsider the trade if Android starts utilizing the Dual Core goodness of the Atrix.

rebshalom

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I got my Atrix last week after years of BB. The first thing I did was make the phone look like my BB Torch as far as apps go. I have had NO trouble with the Atrixd and am quite happy with it.
My wife got an Infuse the day it came out after years of complaing about how much she ahted her iPhone. No complaints, so far.
Bottom line it is a matter of personal preference. I think the Atrix appeals more the more technically inclined, but that is a personal opinion.

stockh#AC

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm a heavy smartphone user and tend to switch between gps,google docs, mesg, email, facebook, and browsing.

my question is do you think the atrix will run faster and smoother since it's dual core and pending honeycomb release, or will the infuse with 1.2 suffice.

most of the comparisons on youtube tend to kill all of the apps before running so I can't get a good comparison if one bogs down when running many apps.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I am also looking into buying a infuse or atrix. I'm leaning towards the infuse because of the screen. I heard the atrix is laggy, is that true??

zmagrini

May 13, 2011
Visit site
ive had the atrix for 2 weeks now and have not experienced a bit of lag. charge lasts me all day with 30-40% left which is better than any other android can say. dual core with tegra 2 is where the future is at as well. the qHD is amazing. it looks like the retina with an extra .5" of real estate.

like others have said its a matter of personal preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder