Aug 11th "Official" Release Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkabibil

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So I was all geared up for the $199 price for the Epic to be comparable to the EVO. Now I saw this article: Epic 4G making its way to Sprint next month

$299 is serious cash. Other Galaxy S phones are $150. That would suck chocolate salty ...

The 299 price is before the rebate price, no way they are selling it for 299, they even said in the press release that it was going to be priced aggressively...

ZoogieZork

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So I was all geared up for the $199 price for the Epic to be comparable to the EVO. Now I saw this article: Epic 4G making its way to Sprint next month

$299 is serious cash. Other Galaxy S phones are $150. That would suck chocolate salty ...

I don't see any sources for that at all in that article (also keep in mind that Examiner.com is basically a community blog, which is both a good and bad thing), not even an "according to a Sprint rep who wished to remain anonymous..."

So... we'll see. $299 is pretty steep, but there may also be rebates, so even if the unit price is correct, the actual pricing is still in the air.

jzh797s

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I see this situation the same as the Diamond vs the TP and I would be willing to bet Sprint does as well when they are pricing this thing. Why would Sprint charge the same for the Evo and the Epic when the Epic offers so much more? I do hope I'm way off base here and the price will indeed be $199... extra Benjamin in my pocket.

Come on Sprint... lets get official already.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
There's no way it'll be $299.99 as a final price considering that Samsung is trying to put themselves higher up in the market. Also, isn't Samsung trying to have its phones rival the iPhone? If the iPhone is being sold for 199.99 at 16gb, but the Epic is being sold for 299.99 at 16gb, who do you think an undecided customer will pick?

To answer jzh797s' question: 2 different companies that both get a say in pricing; both companies want to become super powerful in the smartphone business. How is this done? By appeasing customers. By the way, the Diamond and the TP were both made by HTC.

Note: The Evo was 299.99, but had a rebate and I think that the Epic will be the same.

Last edited:

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Note: The Evo was 299.99, but had a rebate and I think that the Epic will be the same.

they sold the instinct and pre same price . i think it will be 299 . but they will also offer the 100 dollar rebate. i dont see them doing it different. IMO

Last edited:

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I've walked into multiple best buys that say they don't think they're getting the EPIC AT ALL! Possible that they say this due to NO information from Sprint to their stores- where EVO had all kinds of press / preorder goodies to Best Buy early.

Or it's possible they only want to support 1 superphone from Sprint. They love it when people can't get Evo and they can sell them on another carrier instead for a phone that's in stock...

I too wondered if the keyboard version would carry a premium- 4G antenna- front facing camera, keyboard, SAMOLED- to offer all that at $199 sounds like a real loss vs. $299 but I agree- you'll never sell them compared to $199 iphones and evos except to the devoted like many of us that WANT a keyboard.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yet they carry the crappy Samsung Intercept. I guess they really do only want to have one superphone from Sprint. In fact, I have not seen any Galaxy S phones advertised in a Best Buy even though I saw a Vibrant online.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I know, I find it hard to believe, but thats several stores saying they won't. The one my gf goes to is off of US1 in Wilton Manors, FL (Ft. Lauderdale). I haven't stopped into the one in Melbourne which is the closest one to me right now, cause, well, its not close. My area is pretty dumb when it comes to tech. People think getting 5mbps down from Cable is like lightning fast :/ It hangs up sooo bad with all the devices on the internet just in my room (macbook, desktop, ps3, phone)

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
One example of a sprint phone NEVER carried by Best buy? Touch Pro 2. High end phone- they never touched it.

I think HTC is paying some serious cash to BB these days- just look at their summer mobile catalog- look at all the BB coupons for 1000 rz points- look at an exclusive WHITE Evo- HTC and BB are IN BED together. Samsung may be at BB in some cases- but I would not be surprised one bit if BB did not carry the Epic- and if that happens- the EPIC and Sprint as a whole are NOT going to sell many of what could be a really great phone for them.

fkabibil

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
One example of a sprint phone NEVER carried by Best buy? Touch Pro 2. High end phone- they never touched it.

I think HTC is paying some serious cash to BB these days- just look at their summer mobile catalog- look at all the BB coupons for 1000 rz points- look at an exclusive WHITE Evo- HTC and BB are IN BED together. Samsung may be at BB in some cases- but I would not be surprised one bit if BB did not carry the Epic- and if that happens- the EPIC and Sprint as a whole are NOT going to sell many of what could be a really great phone for them.

Yeah but they didnt carry the touch pro 2 for any carrier, they already carry the vibrant and captivate

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but they didnt carry the touch pro 2 for any carrier, they already carry the vibrant and captivate

My understanding is the TP2 is Sprint and Tmob only- BB rarely carries TMOB- (certain stores replace Sprint with Tmob- but a much smaller #.)

This being the case- to THEM it's really only 1 carrier that had the phone and they chose not to carry it. BB does not carry a good number of phones (flip and feature) that the main US carriers have in full fledged corporate stores. The fact that most BB employees know jack squat about the Epic tells me they very well may not get this.

Considering RadioShack rarely gets decent stock- that means a good number of us are going to Sprint stores for these (GROAN.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61