Battery charging, not charging, draining really fast.

smaffy

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
This started 2 days ago. The charging socket on the phone had started to get a little loose but both the plug charger and usb charger still fit pretty snug.

Yesterday the phone wouldn't charge with the plug charger and would only charge from the usb charger if you wiggled it and got the lightening symbol. It drained overnight without any use at all. Charging today was nearly impossible. It got to 58% then started discharging.

I switched the phone on and off and even removed the battery. All the while the phone is still displaying the lightening symbol and is saying that it is charging even when it's not and not even connected to the usb.

Today I done the factory reset and it didn't recognise the usb connector at first, though it has now and charged fully at the usual speed. However on removing the usb the phone still said it was charged and in the settings section the battery was still recording 100% after an hours use. I had to reboot the phone to remove the charged notification and get a true reading of the battery. None of the battery notifications would clear from the notification area until after the last reboot.

Has anyone else had similar issues? And do Samsung really offer a two year warranty?

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This started 2 days ago. The charging socket on the phone had started to get a little loose but both the plug charger and usb charger still fit pretty snug.

Yesterday the phone wouldn't charge with the plug charger and would only charge from the usb charger if you wiggled it and got the lightening symbol. It drained overnight without any use at all. Charging today was nearly impossible. It got to 58% then started discharging.

I switched the phone on and off and even removed the battery. All the while the phone is still displaying the lightening symbol and is saying that it is charging even when it's not and not even connected to the usb.

Today I done the factory reset and it didn't recognise the usb connector at first, though it has now and charged fully at the usual speed. However on removing the usb the phone still said it was charged and in the settings section the battery was still recording 100% after an hours use. I had to reboot the phone to remove the charged notification and get a true reading of the battery. None of the battery notifications would clear from the notification area until after the last reboot.

Has anyone else had similar issues? And do Samsung really offer a two year warranty?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums.
You may have a bad battery. I would consider switching it. If you know someone else who has an S3, ask to borrow theirs.
And as far as I know, Samsung does not offer a warranty that long.

smaffy

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply and help. My brother has the same phone, I'll try his battery in my phone tomorrow. I wonder though, would a bad battery be able to cause the phone to display incorrect information?

After I did the reset and went through the setting up options, the Samsung registration section said there was a two year warranty. I cant remember if I registered my phone with them the first time around.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply and help. My brother has the same phone, I'll try his battery in my phone tomorrow. I wonder though, would a bad battery be able to cause the phone to display incorrect information?

After I did the reset and went through the setting up options, the Samsung registration section said there was a two year warranty. I cant remember if I registered my phone with them the first time around.

Ok. Many places, especially I. The US, it is a 1 year warranty.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It could possibly be a bad micro USB connector in the phone, too. And make sure there's no dirt or anything in the socket that might be shorting the connectors.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The charging socket on the phone had started to get a little loose
If the micro-USB port itself is loose then you need to get that repaired or switch to a wireless charging solution.

If you have an International phone the warranty is supposed to be two years (some EU requirement?). Otherwise there are places where you can get the repair done (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-usb-port-repair/).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaplogo