Battery Drain O2 UK, Maybe Since Update?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
For the last week or so, my Android System usage has been higher than SOT. Often 30-40%, whereas it used to be 10-15 max. I used to get 16-20hrs easily, with 4-6hrs SORT and quite a bit left. Now, I'm using 7-10%PH, and I'm lucky to get 2.5hrs SOT.

I've been posting on here, and have disabled just about everything possible, installed Greenify (unrooted-i don't really want to root my phone as I use Sky Go and 2 banking apps, and I know these will likely break), done 3 resets, cleared the cache and the partition cache numerous times... The same.

I think I got an update 7-10 ago (I'm on O2 in the UK) so I wondering if this may be the reason...

Has anyone else encountered anything similar after this or other recent updates? I thought I'd post this as a last resort - I'm considering flashing the the stock S7 Edge firmware otherwise to see if that helps.

Cheers.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I got the same with the last update. Checking under the stock battery stats, Android system is huge. However under GSAM, the battery drain falls under Samsung Cloud. You could turn that off instead.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I got the same with the last update. Checking under the stock battery stats, Android system is huge. However under GSAM, the battery drain falls under Samsung Cloud. You could turn that off instead.
Cheers. did it work for you?

I have gsam also, but it didn't show on mine - are you rooted?

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Worth sharing a screenshot to show what's draining it.

If it's mediaserver causing the drain then the current workaround is to disable chrome as there's a bug in it. I'm using chrome beta for now and having no draining issues

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Worth sharing a screenshot to show what's draining it.

If it's mediaserver causing the drain then the current workaround is to disable chrome as there's a bug in it. I'm using chrome beta for now and having no draining issues
It's not media server - it's Android System. Also, Chrome shows up on gsam for me, but never unusually high.

Last edited:

jweaver57

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I recieved an update about then in the US and ever since then my phone will drain in 15 mins just scrolling facebook or the internet at least 7 percent. In 15 mins.....

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
As an update, got nowhere with this, so convinced myself it was the update. So decided to flash an older firmware (Vietnamese from May, I think..) last night.

So far today, 9hrs off the charger and down to 61%, with 2hrs SOT - far, far better. Also, SOT is about 6% higher than Android System, whereas it had been double the SOT for the past 2 weeks. I think AS is still a little high, but this may be as I only flashed last night so there's still some stuff going on in the background.

Not the ideal solution, but having done numerous resets, cache wipes and disabling a £700 phone to the extent that it was just useful for the odd call, it worked for me - and, finally, I have a build that gives me the Yahoo Edge sports scores. Why this isn't on the UK version confuses...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej