Battery issue update.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I used my phone A LOT today. Off charger for 15hrs 24 minutes, 34% battery left. I don't know what is working for others, or is not working. For me, the DRM kill/airplane mode toggle are working fantastic.

houkah

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I used my phone A LOT today. Off charger for 15hrs 24 minutes, 34% battery left. I don't know what is working for others, or is not working. For me, the DRM kill/airplane mode toggle are working fantastic.

Same for me. I had standard usage today (pretty light) off charger for 14 hours 11 min. 67% battery left. Before the DRM kill i would be 30-40% by now.

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Luckily I don't have to toggle airplane mode on the replacement Epic so at least thats one less thing I have to worry about since my time without signal is consistently below 5% unless I'm actually in a weak area but my phone has been of the charger since 7:30AM today and it's now 11:26PM and I still have 78% remaining with moderate usage today. I killed DRM, Media Hub and Sprint Hotspot. So far I'm VERY pleased with this new Epic!

Last edited:

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
That sounds great. Glad the new one is working out for you. It's really a nice phone once you get it under control.

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
That sounds great. Glad the new one is working out for you. It's really a nice phone once you get it under control.

Couldn't agree more! Too bad we still have to backdoor tweak things that should be working right out of the gate but if I have to take 5 seconds to kill off 3 things I'll never use anyway, I'll do it with no complaints as long as the phone keeps working the way it currently is.

Great job on having Sprint find these problems with your phone, you've probably made a lot of angry Epic owners a bit happier with thier phones with your findings, I'm sure we'd all buy you a beer if we were all in a bar together!

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
If killing DRM doesn't entirely work and your phone still won't "sleep", i think i may have found a solution.

Go into your WiFi advanced settings and change your WiFi sleep policy to "Never".

I did this mid-day yesterday and for the first time since the update, my phone sleeps properly.

I want to see if anyone else can replicate this.

zetterwing

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
If killing DRM doesn't entirely work and your phone still won't "sleep", i think i may have found a solution.

Go into your WiFi advanced settings and change your WiFi sleep policy to "Never".

I did this mid-day yesterday and for the first time since the update, my phone sleeps properly.

I want to see if anyone else can replicate this.

I had the same experience. Tried all the other tweaks and once I set Wifi Sleep Policy to Never my battery life increased dramatically. I went from over 10% an hour to 2-3% an hour. One thing I have noticed is that the first 5% from 100 to 95 seems to drain much faster than the rest of the day. Maybe just me.

FallNAngel

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I had the same experience. Tried all the other tweaks and once I set Wifi Sleep Policy to Never my battery life increased dramatically. I went from over 10% an hour to 2-3% an hour. One thing I have noticed is that the first 5% from 100 to 95 seems to drain much faster than the rest of the day. Maybe just me.

See, this just seems backwards to me. If you're setting the WiFi Sleep Policy to Never, that *should* mean that WiFi never sleeps and should keep the phone awake all the time... shouldn't it? Or is that the point and *why* it's an issue (Samsung got Android Default and Never mixed up)?

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
See, this just seems backwards to me. If you're setting the WiFi Sleep Policy to Never, that *should* mean that WiFi never sleeps and should keep the phone awake all the time... shouldn't it? Or is that the point and *why* it's an issue (Samsung got Android Default and Never mixed up)?

Not too sure about the technical aspects of what goes on, but logically it would seem you're right, however switching the WiFi sleep policy to "never" somehow works.

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Not too sure about the technical aspects of what goes on, but logically it would seem you're right, however switching the WiFi sleep policy to "never" somehow works.

It's not hard to see why that setting helps while the phone is connected to WiFi: It needs some data connection, and a live WiFi connection nearby uses less power than a cell-tower data connection. So I can understand, for example, why leaving WiFi always on helps when I am at home and connected to my own WiFi router. It is letting the cell data radio sleep.

What is less clear is whether or why this setting has any effect when the phone is not connected to WiFi. When I am away from my own WiFi router or any other hotspot I want to use, I toggle WiFi off from the notifications bar anyway. There is no sense running the WiFi radio when I don't need it.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
But the main issue people were having was the phone running 100% awake, and prior to changing this setting, my phone ran 100% awake regardless if i was in WiFi or 3G. There was no way to stop the phone from running at 100%.

With WiFi setting on "Never", my phone sleeps like it should regardless of WiFi or 3G. So i'm not sure why now my phone is sleeping, running at about 14% awake time.

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
WiFi Sleep (when WiFi turns itself off and switches the phone to 3G) and Phone Sleep (when the phone goes into a lower power mode, when the screen is off - though the screen can be off and the phone not sleeping due to an issue with an app) may refer to two different things (of course, I'm talking out of my *** here - but I tend to be right around 80% of the time when I do that). What I'm hoping is that the WiFi bug impacts Phone Sleep and that's what's being patched in the patch that's coming hopefully very soon ...

eriksseven

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Just want to also add to this thread, that changing my WIFI to "never sleep" has made a MASSIVE change to my battery use. Like, my battery has lost less then 1% in over an hour. AMAZING. PS, this is coming from someone who has a "time without signal" of currently 93% at my house--not on airplane mode.

If you are someone who leaves their WIFI radio on, CHANGE IT TO NEVER SLEEP!

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
This makes sense. This morning, I had stopped DRM and Media Hub, and I toggled airplane mode. Normally, I turn off WiFi when I'm not at home. I forgot to turn off WiFi after leaving my home today, and I noticed that my battery was draining a lot faster than it had been in the last few days.

Princeps

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Just want to also add to this thread, that changing my WIFI to "never sleep" has made a MASSIVE change to my battery use. Like, my battery has lost less then 1% in over an hour. AMAZING. PS, this is coming from someone who has a "time without signal" of currently 93% at my house--not on airplane mode.

If you are someone who leaves their WIFI radio on, CHANGE IT TO NEVER SLEEP!

Noob here - should we be leaving our wifi on when we're not actually using it, in order to benefit from whatever the "never sleep" option provides? Once I leave my house I generally toggle it off.

Guapo104

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Its been 4 hrs since last charge, the time my phone was going dead. Now It is at 40% with some online poker use.
stats. 4h 21m;
Display 48%
Voice Calls 15%
Cell Standby 15%
Android System 4%
Idle 3%

It is definitely better than before but i want to last 13hrs like Guapo.

Hope this is somehow informational.

Take your phone to the store and have them test the phone and your BATTERY. I was getting similar results until i had my battery replaced!

Reactions: JonOvalle

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Noob here - should we be leaving our wifi on when we're not actually using it, in order to benefit from whatever the "never sleep" option provides? Once I leave my house I generally toggle it off.

I shut it off completely when i leave my house. The never sleep is for when it is being used (like in your house). Somehow when the WiFi did sleep, it caused some conflict that in turn make the phone (not WiFi) stay awake 100% of the time.

Guapo104

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Luckily I don't have to toggle airplane mode on the replacement Epic so at least thats one less thing I have to worry about since my time without signal is consistently below 5% unless I'm actually in a weak area but my phone has been of the charger since 7:30AM today and it's now 11:26PM and I still have 78% remaining with moderate usage today. I killed DRM, Media Hub and Sprint Hotspot. So far I'm VERY pleased with this new Epic!

Please advise of your Battery Usage stats. It's truly amazing that you are getting nearly 16hrs of having your phone on and only using 22% of your battery power. Describe your moderate usage. Thank you.