Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This look very promising!!

b6b1a881dbc311d37a569ae181c8228c.jpg

https://twitter.com/loveroftechba/status/1492638971175788553?s=21

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is really dependent more on the user and and how they use their phone. I was always told the 4XL had rotten battery life and yet over a two-year period I have never had a problem.
I'll wait to see what it is for me and disregard what it will be for others.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It says it's still learning usage patterns. I would wait until after about a week & see what the usage is.

For reference, my S21U had terrible drain the first 2 weeks. After it settled in, I get 1.5-2 days before I have to charge it again.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
SOT is such a bad measurement of battery life yet everyone always uses it. I assure you SOT while you watch a video is no where as intensive as SOT when playing a game, for example. It makes no sense comparing SOT. Watching videos, for one, actually doesn't use as much battery as many other tasks.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
SOT is such a bad measurement of battery life yet everyone always uses it. I assure you SOT while you watch a video is no where as intensive as SOT when playing a game, for example. It makes no sense comparing SOT. Watching videos, for one, actually doesn't use as much battery as many other tasks.

Totally agree which is why many of us say battery stats / usage times etc is a subjective topic.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Yeah definitely. We all have different use cases, all live in different areas with different cell tower reception. My screen on time will be unique to my usage, so it can't be compared to anyone elses.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For those who care....

It is the Exynos chip.

The S21 Ultra he uses has been used for close to a year; I would guess. And battery life usually gets better after a week or two; or so I have been told by some who know Lithium batteries better than I do.

And as he states, running for eight hours performing intense tasks is more than I know for sure I will ever do.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Not surprised at all that the Pixel 6 Pro came in last. Battery life isn't very good on that phone. I noticed a big drop when I went to the P6P from a Galaxy S21U.

Seems like the S22U and S21U are pretty much the same, which makes sense. Similar sized battery, screen, screen tech etc. And of course the iPhone 13 Pro comes in first. It has insane battery life.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you getting a S22 with the Exynos chip or did they offer the Qualcomm in AU?

Historically we've always gotten the Exynos chip, but I think this year we're getting the Snapdragon chip. Not sure how much of a difference there is between the two.

I can't find confirmation that Australia gets Snapdragon, but I think that is what is rumoured.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
All testing in the past has shown the Qualcomm faster, but not by much. Haven't seen any testing between the S22 series processors...yet. Sure they will come out.
For me the processor is not as important as the modem.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
All testing in the past has shown the Qualcomm faster, but not by much. Haven't seen any testing between the S22 series processors...yet. Sure they will come out.
For me the processor is not as important as the modem.

Yeah the Exynos processors are paired with the Samsung modem which I've heard isn't great. The Pixel 6 Pro that I have also as the same modem the Galaxy S20 line had (Exynos modem 5123).

I haven't really had issues with the Samsung modems and didn't really notice a difference between Samsung/Qualcomm modems. I think it's more down to the tweaking of the modem to the network is more important.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
For those who care....

It is the Exynos chip.

The S21 Ultra he uses has been used for close to a year; I would guess. And battery life usually gets better after a week or two; or so I have been told by some who know Lithium batteries better than I do.

And as he states, running for eight hours performing intense tasks is more than I know for sure I will ever do.

https://youtu.be/Yok_WszgNmA

I am pretty sure some of that is taken up by the charging of the S Pen in the S 22 Ultra. They didn't make a big deal of it at launch, but for those that don't know - the phone charges the S Pen when it's inserted so it has power to do those snazzy things 10m away from the phone. At least that's how it was with the Note 20 Ultra and I don't think they've invented magic power otherwise. :D But that being said, it's probably not constantly charging but certainly enough to keep it topped off.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the Exynos processors are paired with the Samsung modem which I've heard isn't great. The Pixel 6 Pro that I have also as the same modem the Galaxy S20 line had (Exynos modem 5123).

I haven't really had issues with the Samsung modems and didn't really notice a difference between Samsung/Qualcomm modems. I think it's more down to the tweaking of the modem to the network is more important.

It appears that the modem is a problem in the states; in certain areas. Google is the only company to use that modem (5123) in the USA. From viewing the Pixel forum, it appears many who have no problems do live in highly populated areas (one guy in Atlanta) and I can imagine they are surrounded by more provider towers than I am surrounded by trees.

Interesting fact, last week, people in two different Verizon stores in two different states, advised me not to get a Pixel 6 for the area I live in. They did NOT recommend the S22 since they have had no customer experience; however, the did recommend a s21, iphone, a moto Edge or something like that. They base their remarks on customer comments and phone returns for certain areas.

For other areas, where there is a population that warrants better coverage, they say they have had no more problems with the P6 than with any other phone (as per comments received and returns from customers).

Guess I'll find out soon. I know the first thing I will do after setting up the phone is go outside and walk over to WY and see if I can make a call.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So is there any or significant difference between the Exynos and Snapdragon S22 Ultra? Some of these videos and posts have been discouraging, claiming that this year's flagship is behind the S21 Ultra in battery life.

I'm here in Australia where apparently we finally get the Snapdragon variant, otherwise I wouldn't even consider getting another Exynos powered Samsung flagship phone.