Battery not getting a full charge.

Poohbear

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I just received my Pixel 2XL on the 31st of October and noticed that when I left the phone to charge overnight, when I woke up the phone only charged to about 65%. I thought it was something that I might have migrated from my old phone into the pixel, so I did a factory reset and started fresh. Last night I put the phone to charge again and it only charged the battery to 76%. When I put the phone to charge in my car charger, the phone does charge the battery to a higher percentage. Is there a setting on my phone that I need to change? Is it my charger thats causing the issue or is my phone defective? Anyone else having the issue?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello! Hmm, that is a strange issue. If you're using the charger that came with your phone, then that is a good thing. Third-party chargers don't always perform well.

My advice to you is to let the battery drain to zero; then plug it in and watch it charge (boring, I know); and see when it stops charging. Perhaps the phone did indeed charge to 100% overnight and then dropped - which shows a corrupt or unstable battery.

Either way, I would also contact Google customer service or bring it back to your carrier and opt for a replacement device.

Poohbear

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello! Hmm, that is a strange issue. If you're using the charger that came with your phone, then that is a good thing. Third-party chargers don't always perform well.

My advice to you is to let the battery drain to zero; then plug it in and watch it charge (boring, I know); and see when it stops charging. Perhaps the phone did indeed charge to 100% overnight and then dropped - which shows a corrupt or unstable battery.

Either way, I would also contact Google customer service or bring it back to your carrier and opt for a replacement device.

Thanks, I'm using the charger that came with the phone. I'll let the battery go all the way down and recharge it. Hopefully that helps, if not I'll call Google.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is it safe to assume that you are also using the cable that came with your new phone?

Do you have a case on your phone? If so, are you certain that the cable is being fully inserted? Some cases have a cable cutout that is too small to allow *some* cables to fully seat.

Barring that, there was another poster a week or so ago that took his Pixel 2 and charger back to Verizon (where he purchased it) and they determined that he had a bad charger and replaced it on the spot.

Poohbear

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Is it safe to assume that you are also using the cable that came with your new phone?

Do you have a case on your phone? If so, are you certain that the cable is being fully inserted? Some cases have a cable cutout that is too small to allow *some* cables to fully seat.

Barring that, there was another poster a week or so ago that took his Pixel 2 and charger back to Verizon (where he purchased it) and they determined that he had a bad charger and replaced it on the spot.

Thanks, I am using the stock charger and cable that came with my phone. I also have a case for the phone, but its the google fabric case and the bottom of the case is cutout which doesn't interfere with the cable of the charger. The first night this happened, I also thought I didn't connect the cable correctly and rechecked, but it connects without a problem. I bought the phone from Google and not Verizon, so I can't just take it in to the store. My wife has the first generation pixel. Should I try using her charger and see if it works with her charger? At the moment i'm using the phone trying to deplete the battery and then i'll try charging and see what happens.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I am using the stock charger and cable that came with my phone. I also have a case for the phone, but its the google fabric case and the bottom of the case is cutout which doesn't interfere with the cable of the charger. The first night this happened, I also thought I didn't connect the cable correctly and rechecked, but it connects without a problem. I bought the phone from Google and not Verizon, so I can't just take it in to the store. My wife has the first generation pixel. Should I try using her charger and see if it works with her charger? At the moment i'm using the phone trying to deplete the battery and then i'll try charging and see what happens.

Yes, you can use your wife's charger.

Poohbear

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I let the battery completely deplete and shut off on its own. I then put it to charge and now I got a full charge of 100%. Hopefully I don't have that issue again. Thanks again to you guys for the suggestions and help.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I let the battery completely deplete and shut off on its own. I then put it to charge and now I got a full charge of 100%. Hopefully I don't have that issue again. Thanks again to you guys for the suggestions and help.

I'm so glad it charged to a hundred percent for you! Please keep us updated on your experience with the Pixel 2 XL! :)

Poohbear

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm so glad it charged to a hundred percent for you! Please keep us updated on your experience with the Pixel 2 XL! :)

While I was letting the battery deplete, I used netflix and ran 2 different movies of 2hrs each, put some pandora, used instagram and played a little bit of best fiends. This is what it said I got. Not sure how true that is. Besides not showing a full charge the battery has been great. Way better than my old Nexus 6P Screenshot_20171103-151654.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord