Battery replacement cost

rothe

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I just had my HTC 10 battery replaced. Cost me $75 plus tax for the part and installation labor.

For the prior six months, I had been noticing increasingly fast battery drain throughout the day, and an occasional crash/bootloop if the remaining charge went below about 30-40%. Both problems were resolved with the battery replacement.

I used a local shop called "Cell Phone Repair" (CPR). I think they're a chain or franchise in the US.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's about typical (or should be). Now keep this one going longer. Don't charge it over 80%. Don't let it drop down below 30%.

rothe

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Bad advice. Unsubstantiated. Not at all consistent with modern battery technology.

Regardless, the point is that there are a lot of people who aren't enjoying the use of an otherwise great phone. A $75 repair - which admittedly shouldn't have been necessary - will restore their phone to what it should be.

rothe

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Two months out now, and I'm just as happy with this phone as when I first got it. Maybe more so, actually. I just finished reading comments and complaints of people living without a headphone jack, and I'm sooo glad I have one of the last, best jacked phones ever produced!

So if you're tired of running out of juice, just bite the bullet and pay for a battery replacement, and stick with this great phone!

Last edited:

mkgino

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Two months out now, and I'm just as happy with this phone as when I first got it. Maybe more so, actually. I just finished reading comments and complaints of people living without a headphone jack, and I'm sooo glad I have one of the last, best jacked phones ever produced!

So if you're tired of running out of juice, just bite the bullet and pay for a battery replacement, and stick with this great phone!

Where did you get the battery from? And was it OEM HTC battery? I see there are some on ebay however I dont want to buy a knockoff. Im a bit interested in doing this as well.

rothe

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
What's your screen on time now? I'm currently getting 2-2.5 hrs will this bring the phone to 4-5hrs SOT on Oreo?

I had no idea, but I've been on it all day long today. So I just went into settings and grabbed a screen shot.

Edit: I just took another screen shot. The one that I posted yesterday had at least a couple of 10 minute periods of quick-charging in the car. This updated shot is without charging since I left the house this morning. About half of that three-hour screen-on time was video playback.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180701-142222.jpg
    Screenshot_20180701-142222.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

mkgino

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I had no idea, but I've been on it all day long today. So I just went into settings and grabbed a screen shot.

Edit: I just took another screen shot. The one that I posted yesterday had at least a couple of 10 minute periods of quick-charging in the car. This updated shot is without charging since I left the house this morning. About half of that three-hour screen-on time was video playback.

So I just replaced my battery and rear phone housing by myself. It took about 3-4hrs to do it but it was well worth it.

The battery part cost me $15 or so from eBay. I am now getting around 4-5hrs of SOT on Oreo. This was the best thing I could have done to renew my phone.

The battery removal is not very hard you just have to take your time and follow the YouTube instructions carefully. If your patient it's not impossible.

I was also able to reuse the same screen and didn't break it while removing it.

So for less than $20 I can now use this phone for another year or two

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, had this phone for exactly 2 years, so just paid off and suddenly it starts to drain faster. I was at a wedding and it went from 45 to 1% suddenly just as it was starting. I didnt realize about the battery replacement, so I will try that. Thank you.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
What's your screen on time now? I'm currently getting 2-2.5 hrs will this bring the phone to 4-5hrs SOT on Oreo?
Unfortunately, I think some phone companies subtly tell lies about phone battery endurance They show is all the things we can do with it but in reality if you use it as they advertise it your battery will take a hell of a beating and die quickly.

I rarely play games on my phone, i do a little bit of YouTube, listen to music on the way home from work and just use it for forum and social networking apps.

I killed my HTC one M8 because I played games constantly on it and sometimes had the charger on all the time whist playing games thinking that was ok for the battery. Of course it wasn't! Lol

So now if I want to do long term games playing or YouTube or other cpu intensive activities I use my back up HTC one M8. Because of this ussge behavior I still get 4.5 hours SOT time with my HTC 10. Also I keep the screen on minimum and switch LTE to 4g instead.

Here are some screenshots just to prove

55cba412593cfeec7865d9c5c719dcd5.jpg
c20f307a6a17a0de624dcee87c7cf698.jpg
024c29930131f016ce8e67b37c8a81d9.jpg

SteeveB

Sep 28, 2018
Visit site
The HTC 10's battery condition seems to be fairly well-accepted now; some people have no issues whatsoever, the rest have a phone that calls it quits at 50%, goes into bootloops (because it dies. because it pumps the screen at full brightness and fires up every component and - if you're lucky - plays back a provider video. genius.), and overall just gets worse and worse.

Mine starter with the 40-50% death. Then it was a matter of half an hour, and it'd die, sometimes displaying a battery with a red circled exclamation mark indicating - I presume, since there's no manual to speak of - the battery being crap (which is great, given how easy it is to replace /s). Eventually just a few minutes with screen on would mean it'd turn off.
And then there's the past week. Unplugging is an exercise in turning it off real quick, and if I got real unlucky, plugging it in would just make it instantly die again as the screen would turn on and the charging circuitry takes a moment to switch to fast charging... culminating into tonight: it's plugged in, 'charging rapidly' (who knows if QC3 played its part in all this), but in reality the battery level is slowly but surely dropping. Not that that level can be trusted all that much, but I presume it can at least still take relative readings.

I'm well past 2 years on it, so in modern society I'm overdue for replacing it, but I really rather enjoyed this phone while it was still doing well, and it's a shame that the only reason I might have to sell it for parts - or just trash it entirely - is because the battery is behind a dozen layers with fragile screens and connectors.

The last post here that mentions actually having it replaced by a service center is from April. Is 'cellphonerepair (dot) com' still a good bet? I know I can request a quote, just seeing if there's other alternatives people have successfully used recently, seeing as I'd much rather have it around either as a daily driver while looking for a replacement, or at least as a better stand-by than my current stand-by.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
The last post here that mentions actually having it replaced by a service center is from April. Is 'cellphonerepair (dot) com' still a good bet?

It might differ based on your location. I sent in a quote request for the 10 earlier this year and it was forward to a guy who told me he didn't do HTC repairs. I told him that he should have his name taken off HTC requests then, and he replied that he automatically got them from the website, as he was their particular vendor for my city or whatever.

If there's a number to call, maybe try to see if they can forward you to someone near you who does deal with those phones.