BB does it better

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
"flame suit on" ok here we go......
So the incredible was my jump into the android world, and it has been a very good leap so far. Coming from a storm and using my wifes tour I was very well versed in BB for over a year but was left wanting more hence the switch to android. Both operating systems have their pluses and minuses, but BB wins one major war in my opinion DESKTOP MANAGER.
I miss this feature to death. I just do not find it acceptable that I have to rely on a third party app to back up my files from my phone. I realized how much I missed BB desktop manager when my wife received her replacement bold in the mail today and it took me 10 minutes to switch every single little thing from her tour to the new bold. Before I did this I backed up every single little thing just in case and now if I destroy both phones I can get a brand new device and go right back to where I started in 10 minutes.
I think that android has not implemented such a program because of the 4-5 different manufacturers that make android capable phones.....does anyone agree?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I can from BB too and just like really missed desktop manager at first but after awhile I liked the fact that I didn't have to plug my phone in to sync my calendar and contacts to outlook. Switching to a new phone and there is nothing easier then using desktop manager to move all your settings and applications over in a few minutes. But you have to remember you only have 1 screen and a app drawer with a BB on an Android you can have up to seven screens and widgets to set up which you don't have to do on a BB. I guess I would rather have more which will cause more work to set up and or back up then just a old BB OS.

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Storm, I never really cared for Desktop manager all that much. It worked, but it was still a bit of a hassle. I really prefer wireless syncing with google mail on the fly.

What Blackberry did do better, is sound profiles! And it was native, no app required.

blunt420

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Is there an app like dm? I had to do a factory reset today and I just know there's something I forgot to pit back ... and its annoying me I got a profile app that's decent can do pretty much everything my bb could do...can you save texts to SD card is there a back up app like bb had

chomsky1

Banned
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Let's keep in mind BB has been around since the dark ages...it makes sense for some of their apps to be ahead of Android and especially Sense. Android/Sense has come a long way in a matter of a couple years and will continue to get better. BB seems stuck in 2008, and continues to lose market share. I have no doubt that within a couple years Android will have caught up to/passed every other major mobile OS, if it hasn't already.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Storm, I never really cared for Desktop manager all that much. It worked, but it was still a bit of a hassle. I really prefer wireless syncing with google mail on the fly.

What Blackberry did do better, is sound profiles! And it was native, no app required.

Agreed, sound profiles is all I miss from my storm.

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
you don't really need DM because you don't really need to backup anything up. contacts/calendars backed up ota, apps are stored on the market, etc...

and honestly, if DM is a deal breaker for you, then you don't get the "android thing".

with 2.2 it'll all be stored OTA. everything. all of it.

yes, that will be stored ota too. i just said everything!!!

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I love the fact that I can just sign into my Motorola Droid after a reset and get all of my contacts, etc... :)

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
you don't really need DM because you don't really need to backup anything up. contacts/calendars backed up ota, apps are stored on the market, etc...

and honestly, if DM is a deal breaker for you, then you don't get the "android thing".

with 2.2 it'll all be stored OTA. everything. all of it.

yes, that will be stored ota too. i just said everything!!!

Hmm, I missed " Ask Patches", but I don't miss CB.

droidmindy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this is an Android weakness specifically as much as a "cool new stuff keeps coming out" thing. Every time I've switched devices I have to figure out how to get my entire life currently stored on Old Phone up and running on New Phone. I get used to New Phone and things go along fabulously for another year or so, and then my new every two comes up and I'm doing it again.

It's never taken me that long to actually transfer my info. I went from Palm to a BB Curve to a DI, and I doubt I spent even 30 minutes each time. The only things I "lost" this latest go-round were the passwords on my BB native Password Keeper (which was the risk I took when I started using it) and my outlook tasks. Meh. It just made me realize that I need to stop chaining my information to one format stored on one device.

There are definitely a few things I miss about my BB. More granular control of emails and calendar entries; sound profiles; battery that lasted 4 days..... As a PDA it was quite good. But over the last few months I was increasingly frustrated by the lousy browser ("requesting.... requesting...") and glitchy memory bugs.

My curve was my trusty companion/life organizer for over two years, and is still sitting on my desk because I can't quite bring myself to junk it yet. But given what I now need in a mobile device, the fact that it would have been easy to transfer my info to a new BB was still not enough to convince me to buy another one.

kev83202

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I have to say DM might be the thing I miss the least about BB, I guess everyone is different though. I love how you really don't even need a computer for an Android phone. If backup is what your missing get a backup app from the market and back it up to the SD card.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
"flame suit on" ok here we go......
So the incredible was my jump into the android world, and it has been a very good leap so far. Coming from a storm and using my wifes tour I was very well versed in BB for over a year but was left wanting more hence the switch to android. Both operating systems have their pluses and minuses, but BB wins one major war in my opinion DESKTOP MANAGER.
I miss this feature to death. I just do not find it acceptable that I have to rely on a third party app to back up my files from my phone. I realized how much I missed BB desktop manager when my wife received her replacement bold in the mail today and it took me 10 minutes to switch every single little thing from her tour to the new bold. Before I did this I backed up every single little thing just in case and now if I destroy both phones I can get a brand new device and go right back to where I started in 10 minutes.
I think that android has not implemented such a program because of the 4-5 different manufacturers that make android capable phones.....does anyone agree?

Ok not flaming, but how is putting in your gmail addy harder or more out of the way to restore your emails and contacts than DM? It's worked pretty good for the 3 freakin Eris's my wife has went through since the 2.1 update. (It likes to break Eris's)

On a side note, backing up to the cloud is a much better and easier option ONCE Google/Verizon/HTC etc get their updates pushed that will start backing up app data etc. Not sure which direction this will come from HTC/Google or Verizon/Unrevoked lol but I imagine Google and once it's in gear it will be oh so much nicer than DM from BB. This will also be a reason why business's will stick primarily with BB for awhile because they don't want their information out 'in the cloud' and I couldn't blame them, but I've not got stuff on my phone anyone would want anyways besides phone numbers lol.

With all that being said, I still prefer to be able to have all my information locally just in case. Anyone have a "DM" type app or program that can accomplish this with this phone?!

Last edited:

Principal Skinner

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been in the PDA/Smartphone world for a long time. Started out with a Palm Pilot ...went through the various iterations of Palm ...then TREO ...then BB Storm ...and now DI. When I went from PALM to BB, I pined for hotsynch. Never liked DM very much. Found it cumbersome and confusing. What can be better than never having to plug in your phone except to charge?
Now, BB does have it over Droid in the battery department as well as the email department, and yes, the sound profiles too. While I can get sound profiles on DI, it is not intuitive and often requires an app (Handcent)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buchenzo