Best car dock for Note 3?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: best car dock for note 3?

I know that can all be done, but I don't use GPS or NFC...

I can't believe that they make car dock and a dock mode, that actually does something when you dock it, but that no one has an app that does something else when you dock it?? How dumb! Why make a dock mode at all??

gadget-twister

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

I use NFC tags and the Trigger app for this. Not on the dock itself but just under it (only want it triggered once before I put my GN3 on the magnetic dock I use). "In the car" is programmed to go into car mode, turn off wifi and turn on mobile data, fire up my favorite car dock app, connect the bluetooth the way I want it, announces "In the car" so I know it tripped etc. I have another tag mounted just inside my back door that I swipe on to run my "At home" profile that reverses most of that. I read about other folks using a GPS fence to change all this when leaving the house but I prefer the tag because I want everything to happen before pulling out of my garage.

Actually, if you use NFC tags, you can make your life easy with Arkon Slim Grip Ultra intelligrip edition. It already comes with NFC strickers and very clean. I reviewed it here: xda-developers - View Single Post - Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra mount for car and home

But my ultimate setup is still their latest Mobile Grip 2 (MG279) which works with my Note 2 (in UAG case) and obiously should work with Note 3 in UAG or any other semi-rugged cases. It's minimalistic, very strong grip (both for the phone and dashboard, even on textured surface), and doesn't obstruct the back so you can use it as a dash-cam. I also reviewed it here: Review of Arkon Mobile Grip 2 Universal smartphone car mount w/lots of pics!!! - xda-developers

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I have this ExoMount Touch CD. It is very secure and the location is ideal. I don't use my CD player anymore. I found windshield and dash top mounted mounts a bit of a reach for my arm. Where the CD slot is high enough to keep my eyes on the road and close enough to comfortably reach. The spring loaded clamp makes placing phone in a breeze. Highly recommended

ExoMount Touch CD Slot Mount for iPhone 5S 5C Galaxy Note 3 S4 Smartphone

exomount-touch-cd-slot-mount-easy-one-touch-operation.jpg

exomount-touch-cd-slot-mount-a-clear-field-of-view.jpg

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I just wish I could find a way to trigger a dock app to do things when placed into the dock. There doesn't seem to be an app that does it. I want an app that turns bluetooth on, WIFI OFF, sets screen brightness to 100% for a 30 minute timeout...etc. It can be done, but it's not triggered by placing it into the dock. That really sucks.

Seriously nice dock. I might go that route, if I can come to grips with the price. Pun intended.

Tasker should be able to do what you want FBA, so long as the dock puts the phone in dock mode, which it seems like it does.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

You're not gluing anything to anything. It's a peel off self adhesive that you can remove, once you need to. It won't come off or budge, unless you need it to. If you ever remove it, it leaves no marks. I have it in two vehicles now. It's in my 2013 Sierra Denali 3500HD Duramx, and my 2008 Corvette Z06. Never been happier.

I just wish I could find a way to trigger a dock app to do things when placed into the dock. There doesn't seem to be an app that does it. I want an app that turns bluetooth on, WIFI OFF, sets screen brightness to 100% for a 30 minute timeout...etc. It can be done, but it's not triggered by placing it into the dock. That really sucks.

Tough install too, like maybe 3 minutes total. LOL

I use CarHome Ultra. I have it set to go into car mode when it detects my cars Bluetooth and exits when I leave. In the settings you can set it to disable wifi, display options, screen orientation. I also use Tasker to detect the car Bluetooth too to launch eCID which reads me text messages and using voice-to-text reply to text messages. I also use Car Finder AR to automatically mark the location of my car whenever I get out and Bluetooth disconnects so if I ever forget where I parked it can guide me back to the car.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Seriously nice dock. I might go that route, if I can come to grips with the price. Pun intended.

Tasker should be able to do what you want FBA, so long as the dock puts the phone in dock mode, which it seems like it does.
There are plenty of apps that will do this. I use Llama, but I think my dock was wired for home dock mode instead of car dock mode and I can fix that i a few minutes. The apps I have tried, when dock mode triggers (on docking), can do many things. Currently, I have an event/ profile that should the following when it docks:

1) Turns WiFi off
2) Goes to full brightness
3) Turns off screen timeout
4) Turns Bluetooth on
5) Turns GPS on

It can also use location as a trigger, and it can use time for triggers as well, so I use that to put the phone in "sleep mode" every night at midnight. It's a profile I created that turns WiFi, Mobile data and Auto Sync off, but leaves the phone on - so only the phone will ring.

AT 6 AM, it goes in to my "workday" mode, which turns the radios back on...and if it's not in my home, it turns WiFi off, until it finds a known WiFi enabled location.

I'm ordering another one of his docks for another vehicle.

From what I can see, once I get this dock into car dock mode instead of home dock mode, everything should work as I want.

I tried Tasker, but I wasn't impressed by the UI, so I went with Llama, which was free and no ads.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

From what I can see, once I get this dock into car dock mode instead of home dock mode, everything should work as I want.

In case you're not aware, the Note 3 only has one dock mode. You can choose what action it takes when docked, but it will do the same thing no matter what dock you plug it into.

That's just one of the things I hated when I "upgraded" from the Note 2.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I read that yesterday at the xda forums.

So, most of the apps out there will not switch modes when you plug them into the car dock, I guess because they expect a true "car docking" event, which they don't get with the Samsung phones.

The one I found that works and isn't bad, is Car Home Ultra. It actually does launch when connected to the dock, and you can have it turn Bluetooth on, WiFi off, adjust screen brightness and timeout etc...and then when you undock, it goes back to the previous mode.

It's not as flexible as some of the other apps, but it seems to be the only on that actually triggers on docking, so that makes it the best one for me - LOL

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I use CarHome Ultra. I have it set to go into car mode when it detects my cars Bluetooth and exits when I leave. In the settings you can set it to disable wifi, display options, screen orientation. I also use Tasker to detect the car Bluetooth too to launch eCID which reads me text messages and using voice-to-text reply to text messages. I also use Car Finder AR to automatically mark the location of my car whenever I get out and Bluetooth disconnects so if I ever forget where I parked it can guide me back to the car.

Good choice. Car home ultra is by far the best dock app. It's not even close in my opinion.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So pumped. Just ordered an ibolt off of Amazon. Hopefully here next week. Gonna be handy. Ibolt seems to be the choice around here.

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

You might want to check out iBOLT Dock'n Drive too: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.ibolt.carhome&token=eBkoPk_H. It will launch with any dock that is wired for docking mode.
Looks nice -

I may try it, but for the measly few bucks for CHU, I will probably pay them and just use that. I'm so fed up screwing around for the past 6 months trying to get this to work, I'm ready to pay! LOL.

It is working flawlessly and there's no apparent hit on battery when it's not on dock mode. Oh and there's one more cool thing: CHU keeps my screen from locking each time I end a bluetooth call. I have screen (PIN) lock enabled because whenever you have a VPN connection setup on the device, it forces you to use PIN locking at the very minimum.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I jumped too and ordered my Ibolt for my car.

This will be my 3rd car mount. I was not impressed with the previous 2 (other brands).

Now what should I do with the other 2 car mounts?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Ibolt wouldn't be my 1st choice. My craigsdock has the cable integrated into the dock. You simply slide the phone into the dock and it connects to the cable automatically.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Does this work if you have a 6 disc cd player that the door seems to lock on?

I would think so all it needs is a slot. I haven't liked the docks with the micro USB plugs as they never align easily. I've just resigned to plugging the cable in then putting phone on mount. Wireless chargers would be attractive but found they don't charge with as much current at wired ones and barely keep up with power usage especially with GPS navigation running.

Posted via Android Central App

chilledbeer

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I use the Samsung Car Dock. It's a hassle using the charging cable but the dock itself is rock solid.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I use the Samsung Car Dock. It's a hassle using the charging cable but the dock itself is rock solid.

Is there a Samsung OEM dedicated vehicle dock for the Note 3? I've had one before for a Galaxy Nexus. I didn't like it because I'd have to take it out of the case every time I wanted to use it.