Best music streaming service

gothir

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to find the best music streaming service for my phone. I don't mind subscription fees if it has a great song collection. So far I have tried Grooveshark, Rhapsody, Napster and Rdio. Pandora, Slacker radio, and the like are good apps but I like having access to any song I want and being able create my own playlists.

First the bad...Rhapsody constantly skips songs on my playlist, stops playing a song halfway through to skip to the next song, and starts randomly playing 30 second clips for no reason. Grooveshark has all sorts of problems and was constantly freezing/force closing on my EVO. So these 2 are out for me.

Now onto the good...Napster and Rdio both work pretty good on my phone. I haven't had any crashes with either application or song skipping like with Rhapsody. Both are also $10 a month with mobile access so price isn't really an issue. I am leaning more towards Rdio right now because of the interface mainly and it has a few more songs that I have searched for that Napster did not.

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for any other great music streaming apps to try or any reasons why Napster or Rdio is better? I am still in the trial period for all of these services and will be making a final decision soon.

wrich73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you don't mind spending 4 bucks a month, Slacker Premium lets you you cache stations on your SD card (and it does a ton of songs per station). The quality is fantastic, and you don't need a data connection for playback (ie Airplane Mode).

gothir

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Subsonic sounds like an interesting option but I don't really have a large collection of mp3s to pull from. I might give it a try and see how it works though.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You say that you have tried Slacker. Which in my honest opinion the app is great, but still room for improvement. I have been a Slacker subscriber for quite a while now and love that I can access the service in so many ways, Evo, iPod, Web etc. I use the station caching option and love it. HOWEVER, Slacker has not solved the on-demand type of listening that I want, so I have always also carried a Grooveshark subscription on top of it, costing me a total of around $7/mo for both services. Grooveshark, as you said, is not reliable.

If you can hold out for a few weeks, Slacker will be offering another type of subscription which features on-demand listening of any song you want, or playlists that you create. I am not sure on any details as they haven't been released yet, but I think Slacker will soon become the ONLY music service that I pay for. Grooveshark is okay, but they have not been given permissions to provide the music to their listeners by the record labels which seems to me that the service may be short-lived. Slacker is doing it right. Sure, the service is going to cost $10 per month, but I can't think of a more robust subscription option for music lovers. It is supposed to be released in October sometime, so it can be much longer.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Slacker is supposed to come out with "On-demand" music (playlists and such I think), in the next month.. Unfortunately I don't have a link to the source, because I can't remember where I read it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootje