Best video formats?

palm3x

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the Android OS. I just got an Acer Iconia A100.

I've found the list of supported video formats. But I'm wondering if there's a consensus on:

1) The best quality video format? Since the A100 doesn't have the screen resolution of, say, an iPad 3 then it seems like there might be point at which the higher quality formats can't be displayed anyway.

2) The most file size efficient video format for ripping movies to? Ideally, it would be nice to fit several movies on a micro SD card.

3) Any particular formats that are known to play better with Android video players?

Thanks

palm3x

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
OK, I did some experimenting. "Handbrake" will produce a M4V file that seems to be about 700MB for a movie (more or less), but the encoding time is not much faster than the real time length of the movie. "DVD Shrink" produces 4.4GB per movie by default, but can be set to produce a movie about 2GB in size. This takes up more space, but DVD Shrink is a lot faster.

As I somewhat ecpected, I couldn't really see any difference in quality between the two. If you were outputting through the HDMI port to a big screen TV then maybe there would be a difference?