Bionic Tethering Hack!

titot4u

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I found this on another thread so I take no credit.

Hi,

I found way to enable Hotspot without Verizon Provisioning. I used SQLLite Editor to modify settings.db for "Settings Storage" application ( com.motorola.android.providers.settings ). Set entitlement_check to 0 and reboot the phone.

Dmitry

Can someone explain the above to me as if I were a dummy?

clearrants

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I found this on another thread so I take no credit.

Hi,

I found way to enable Hotspot without Verizon Provisioning. I used SQLLite Editor to modify settings.db for "Settings Storage" application ( com.motorola.android.providers.settings ). Set entitlement_check to 0 and reboot the phone.

Dmitry

Can someone explain the above to me as if I were a dummy?

Here's all the information and how-to to get this done:
[GUIDE] How to Get Free Wifi Tether on Droid Bionic! - xda-developers

Reactions: shadowsjc

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I want to know how safe it is in comparision to other tethering apps such pdanet, wireless tethering, barnicle, easytether, etc.

titot4u

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I want to know how safe it is in comparision to other tethering apps such pdanet, wireless tethering, barnicle, easytether, etc.

That's a good question...I assume its OK. I for one will use it unless I see a charge for it on my monthly bill. Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this...I want to try this out when I get my Bionic (Costco is still sold out and waiting for another shipment)

Jkoldha

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So I rooted my phone last night and used the p3 installation. This morning i followed the instructions for the wifi tether and I ran for just a minute to check it and it worked beautifully. Later in the evening I noticed that my data connection was lost. I have played with the sim, airplane mode, changing the value that I originally changed, on/off 100 times, different cities etc.... its been 7 hours now and nothing....... what gives?

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Be carefull with this hack the author of the video above is put in his place in the above thread at xda read it through and I would think twice until we understand a little more about these LTE phones.

idefiler6

Banned
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Be carefull with this hack the author of the video above is put in his place in the above thread at xda read it through and I would think twice until we understand a little more about these LTE phones.

This. Chances are you're right under the magnifying glass if you use this. Even with the hiding method in his second video there's still a chance. You get 30 days free PDAnet, I suggest using that. In that time some progress should be made to enable and hide your ass on 3rd party tethering apps. Using the built in app right under their nose is just begging to be found.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm very supprised that this site lets threads like this exist.

My account was suspended here once because I suggest a program that would RIP a Rented DVD into a format your Android Phone would play. I was told my post violates the rules of this forum.

I find it very hard to believe that the activity in this thread does not fall under the same rules.

Just say'n

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm very supprised that this site lets threads like this exist.

My account was suspended here once because I suggest a program that would RIP a Rented DVD into a format your Android Phone would play. I was told my post violates the rules of this forum.

I find it very hard to believe that the activity in this thread does not fall under the same rules.

Just say'n

DVD Riping a rented DVD = Theft (IE: you could be arrested by the police)
Tethering: Term of Service violation (i.e.: you could have your contract voided)

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I can explain it nice and easily for you:

Violates the DMCA.

Fits within the DMCA Rulemaking Exemptions currently in effect (link, and link to EFF analysis)

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Here is the exact rule:

Illegal Activities - Do not post, link, discuss, or request warez, serials, ROM's, or illegal copies of intellectual property of others in the Android Central forums. Discussions regarding hardware or software modifications designed to steal service, such as ESN cloning & phone programming modifications are also forbidden in the forums. AC has a zero tolerance policy on such posts.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Here is the exact rule:

Illegal Activities - Do not post, link, discuss, or request warez, serials, ROM's, or illegal copies of intellectual property of others in the Android Central forums. Discussions regarding hardware or software modifications designed to steal service, such as ESN cloning & phone programming modifications are also forbidden in the forums. AC has a zero tolerance policy on such posts.

This isn't an illegal activity (see my previous post), and this isn't a hardware or software modification designed to steal service, since you already have service. Reading those 2 examples its quite clear that this is talking about stealing service as a whole. The "phone programming modifications" must be read in this context.

Jkoldha

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok back to the topic.... when does verizon actually notice that your using a hacked hotspot??? increased usage?
ok people quick update. Went to Verizon after unrooting change sim cards and performed a factory reboot. It has started working again. On a good note, earlier today I called and complained about some previous issues and guess what.....the guy gave me unlimited data on 4g for 29. 99 . Nuts right.

amn70

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd mention that I tried this on my Droid 2 running Android 2.3.3. rooted. I was able to access to the settings database but line 147 entitlement check does not exist. Any reason why this would be missing from my Droid 2?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CsPerry