Bit of market research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgun.4

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
1. Do you find it easy to discover new apps on the Android Market?

It's gotten Better

2. Do you rely on recommendations or do you search categories to find new games?

Search Categories; i like to judge a game myself

3. What is the most annoying problem with a new game e.g. force close, poor graphics?

Poor Graphics, Bad game play, No Story Line ( RPG Games ... etc )

4. Do you read the instructions on how to play or just Wing it?

I dont like to spend that extra time, i wing it for the most part

5. When would you pay for a game? (Other than mobile versions of best selling PC/PSP etc games).

If I like the game, and like to story line ( aka like Galaxy On Fire + Majesty: Fantasy Sim )

6. Do you play games where multiplayer involves passing the handset round?

I have that type of game, dont play it often unless in the car with a long ride. ( Card game )

7. Do you prefer single player or multiplayer games?

Both! :)

8. Where do you download most of your games i.e. Android market, Amazon, GetJar?

Android market

9. Do you like games where you can upload your scores to Facebook or other websites?

Dont care much for that.

10. Do you recommend games you like to friends?

Yes, I do.

Good Luck Developing! :D

Reactions: go6 game

snowglyder

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Not really.

2. Do you rely on recommendations or do you search categories to find new games?
Mainly recommendations from friends and sites like AndroidCentral. Sometimes I'll manually search through the categories if I'm bored.

3. What is the most annoying problem with a new game e.g. force close, poor graphics?
Poor graphics or incompatibility across my devices

Wing it until I'm stuck.

5. When would you pay for a game? (Other than mobile versions of best selling PC/PSP etc games).
When the price is in line with quality, I'll pay. Especially if I can play it on both my phone and tablet.

No

Prefer single player because sometimes waiting for others gets annoying

8. Where do you download most of your games i.e. Android market, Amazon, GetJar?
Android Market - faster updates.

9. Do you like games where you can upload your scores to Facebook or other websites?
Don't really care.

Yes

Glerp

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
1. I liked the skin and layout of the old android market better. Android market is still easy to find new apps.
2. I read a bunch of user reviews before I purchase a game. I try to make sure it's compatible with my phone, from the user reviews.
3. Force close, and if the game runs sluggish / choppy. Games should be written to run smoothly on dual core phones (since that is now becoming the norm)
4. If it's a sophisticated game, I'll read the instructions (like Risk). If not, I usually wing it.
5. I would pay for a game only if it had a lot of great user reviews. I'm hesistant to pay for a game because of the crappy short time span of 15 min in which I can get a refund. Sometimes, by the time I download (or update) the game, it's more than 15 min and I get screwed. The refund policy should be at least 24 hours. You can't download, update, and play a game within 15 min and decide if you still want it. We need more time.
6. No, because I've never DL'd a game like that before. But if we had RISK, I'd pass the game around.
7. Single Player. If you want MP go play on your gaming PC.
8. Usually android market. I don't game a lot.
9. No. Who cares about uploading scores to FB. Waste of time.
10. Absolutely.

Ameri-CAIN

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes but I tend to utilize the trending section most often followed by the staff picks, and Editors choice
recommendations only, there are too many resource hogs in the bunch to go looking for games. :)
both of those suck, but I really dislike it if I notice other things start to act funny after installing an app then it magically cures after I uninstall.
I like to be informed on the how to versus guessing. Its important for it to be intuitive enough that you only need to see how to do it once.
usually only after playing some sort of trial version.
I don't currently but in the right scenario for the right game it could be fun.

LesserCure

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
1)Not much. I mostly rely on other media to discover new apps.

2)I rarely search the categories.

3)The game itself is the most important thing by far. It needs to have a good design. Graphics aren't much important as long as they don't look like drawn in paint.

4)I usually read the instructions if there are any, but gameplay tutorials are better. (for example you learn the most basic mechanics in level 1 then learn the more advanced dynamics in following levels.)

5)When I hear lots of positive comments on it or when I try the free version and like it.

6)Yes.

7)I always prefer multiplayer actually, but it has not yet developed much in the mobile industry. I wish more games had multiplayer option.

8) Mostly Android Market, sometimes GetJar as well.

9)It's a nice feature to have as long as it's optional, but I very rarely use it.

10)Yes.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
1. Not really, unless featured

2. Recommendations and stars in the market. I read user reviews.

3. force close, "trick" levels

4. I read. I'm THAT guy.

5. When I couldn't live without it. 3 to 5 bucks max.

6. GAWD No.

7. Single, or turn based network.

8. Android market

9. No. Absolutely NOT. Got OpenFeint? ---> Instant uninstall.

10. Yes.

Android Goat

May 6, 2010
Visit site
1. Do you find it easy to discover new apps on the Android Market? I occasionally stumble upon something in the Market, but discovering new games/apps isn't as easy as I'd like

2. Do you rely on recommendations or do you search categories to find new games? I download and buy far more games based on recommendations by AC and other Android blogs.

3. What is the most annoying problem with a new game e.g. force close, poor graphics? Force closing or not opening are the most annoying problems.

4. Do you read the instructions on how to play or just Wing it? Dive in and hope I figure it out.

5. When would you pay for a game? (Other than mobile versions of best selling PC/PSP etc games).I pay for a game if I've tried the free version and it has replay potential or if it's highly recommended by a couple of blogs.

6. Do you play games where multiplayer involves passing the handset round? Not big on passing my phone.

7. Do you prefer single player or multiplayer games? Single player

8. Where do you download most of your games i.e. Android market, Amazon, GetJar? Android Market

9. Do you like games where you can upload your scores to Facebook or other websites? Not personally

10. Do you recommend games you like to friends? If a free game has high replay value or a paid game was worth my money, I make a point to recommend it.

tewdogs

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
1) Somewhat easy.
2)Recommendations, and searching categories.
3)Poor graphics/interface. Lack of fit/finish.
4)I wing it, unless I get stuck.
5)When I feel I would get my money's worth.
6)No, I do not and am not likely to.
7)Single Player
8)Android Market
9)OpenFeint too... but yes. Shareable scores and achievements.
10)Yes, I do recommend games to others.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Here are my responses:

1. I guess it's OK. Some apps/games are easier to find than others.
2. I think I use recommendations (e.g., at Android and tech-type web sites) more often than search.
3. Hmm -- force closes would certainly be an issue, but also if I get really stuck somewhere in the game and can't continue past it, that would annoy me.
4. If instructions are provided, I'll read them, unless the game's controls etc. are obviously like something with which I'm already familiar.
5. I guess if it looks interesting, gets good reviews, and has a good price, possibly on a discount.
6. Generally, no, I don't play pass-the-phone multi-player games.
7. I prefer single player games.
8. I get almost everything, games and apps, from the Android Market. I generally only use Amazon, GetJar, and such to get apps for free when they're for pay in the Market.
9. Since I typically don't share game scores to sites, it doesn't matter much. Though something like OpenFeint that has an online high-score board and/or achievements can be fun.
10. Not to people I know personally, just because I don't know who has Android phones and whether they like to play games or not. I might make some kind of remark on Twitter or something though.

I hope this helps.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi

As an android apps developer I would be very interested to get some feedback on the following points:

1. Do you find it easy to discover new apps on the Android Market? Not really, usually rely on sites like Android Central (and other tech sites) for recommendations and then go take a look.

2. Do you rely on recommendations or do you search categories to find new games? Recommendations (and still like a demo/free version to try out - even if it's only a $.99 game)

3. What is the most annoying problem with a new game e.g. force close, poor graphics? Interface/poor
design, bad graphics, locks up (any will stop me from playing).

4. Do you read the instructions on how to play or just Wing it? A little of both.

$.99 - $1.99
6. Do you play games where multiplayer involves passing the handset round? Never

7. Do you prefer single player or multiplayer games? Single

8. Where do you download most of your games i.e. Android market, Amazon, GetJar? Android Market

9. Do you like games where you can upload your scores to Facebook or other websites? No - don't really care about social sites

10. Do you recommend games you like to friends? Absolutely

Thanks for your patience - I'm sure a lot of developers would love to know this stuff and maybe improve user experiences!

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes

more categories than recommendations, but I use both.

not enough devices supported

wing it

I don't. ever. I'm sorry...I'm sure you don't like to hear this, but I'm being honest. I don't ever pay for apps/games, for any reason. I've had android devices for over 18 months, and i've never spent a single cent on additional content.

I never play multiplayer. ever.

single player...see above.

mobilism, applanet, droidfans, droidappz, snappzmarket

no...i despise them.

yes, always.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
1. No

2. Recommendations from tech sites like AC/Good and EVO just to name a few.

3. I haven't run into it enough. Edit not true I just remembered something. NFS Shift works on my Kindle fire but not on my Transformer Prime. Rip Tide works on both. I would think the lower end device would be the one not to be able to play a game, that I could except. Maybe screen resolution has something to do with it but that is annoying to have a game work on my low end $199.00 device but not my $700.00 tablet

4. Wing it

5. If I like the game and it is reasonably priced.

6. Nooooooooo! It is a personal device for my hands only.

7. Single player

8. Android market

9. No

10. Yes

Last edited:

misterhef

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes! I occasionally browse through the most popular apps in whatever category I'm curious about.
Both! Most of my games come from recommendations/shares from family and friends.
When it asks you to register for something or to rate it over and over.
I wing it at first in hopes that the first few levels are tutorial levels (like "cut the rope"). If i can't figure it out quickly i then read the instructions.
I think all my purchases have been because I played it on a friends phone first and enjoyed it. I'm not one to buy and return if I don't care for it.
No. Sometimes we take turns in single player ("bejeweled" or "impossible game")
Single
Android market all the way. I only use amazon for the FAOTD and never paid them anything. Never heard of GetJar
No
All the time! I use the share button in the android market and send it via text.

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

As an android apps developer I would be very interested to get some feedback on the following points:

Thanks for your patience - I'm sure a lot of developers would love to know this stuff and maybe improve user experiences!

#1. Not really, There are so many now, I use the just in or editors pick.
#2. recommendations or reviews
#3. Not being able to figure out how to play.
#4. Wing it first, then if I get into it, I find instructions or forums
#5. If it's good, I'll pay. I like to support developers.
#6. No.
#7. Both, If they are good (interesting to me)
#8. Market
#9. Not a facebook guy
#10. Yes

ccbeam

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi

- No - I rely on xda or AC for recommendations

- Recommendations from xda or AC

- I look for and prefer online games but the AT$T network is S.L.O.W for me.

- Wing it - you mean RTFM - no way

- When it meets my expectations

- No

- Both can be fun

- All of the above

- I don't mind but I don't utilize either

- Yes - support the devs for what they do

ksc6000#AC

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
It's not very reliable I've found.
Mostly search categories or when an app is mentioned on a site like androidcentral.
The most annoying thing is when apps want a million permissions that they should not need.
I normally wing it, but I think a in game tutorial is better than written instructions.
When a game's demo is great and makes me want more.
I have not played any, but it sounds very interesting.
On my phone I normally prefer single player games, but multi-player modes like Fruit Ninja's multi-player mode on a tablet is loads of fun..more games need to implement that.
Android Market
Don't usually like to give more password protection..but I'm more wary than the average user who might enjoy that more.
Absolutely. Games should have a link to "share" which can be sent as email/text, and should open up the person's android market with the game or the demo (or video).

somerussianguy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
- Somewhat, mostly they just rehash and show the same apps over and over on the main page. I have to scroll down and go into Top New Apps to find new ones.

- Both. I'll go by recommendations if people post reviews or previews of games I've never heard before, like the App Pick here on Android Central. But I also sometimes randomly search the Market.

- Lag. Since I and a lot of other people still have older devices, new games with shiny graphics tend to lag.

- Depends on the game. Side-scrollers and racing games are pretty self explanatory, so I just dive right in, but some shooters & puzzle games are a little more complex.

- After I actually experienced it. A lot of times demos are just too limiting and don't showcase the actual game.

- No

- Single player

- Mostly from Android Market, however, I visit Amazon App Store to check out the free app of the day.

- I never upload scores to anything, so I can't say I like or dislike games just for this particular reason, however, I really hate it when games plaster all that Facebook & OpenFeint integration all over the interface.

- My friends are not really into mobile games, so no.

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Not really

I don't really play games. But I rely on recommendations like Android Central, Droid life etc..

Not having the right screen resolution.

I usually wing it.

If the trial version is good.

No

it doesnt matter. depends on the game.

Android Market.

Neutral.

YES

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
New apps, yes. New apps I would use? Nope. A lot of garbage.

Recommendations

I think the games attempt to mimic Angry Birds too much. I find most games to be a bore.

I always use instructions and tutorials.

When the free version is awesome, I pay for it. I have spent well over $100 on games in the app market.

I have. I play a "Catch Phrase" type of game (party phrase), and I think there is a lot of room to grow in group cell phone games.

Single

Android Market and Amazon

No. I find the social aspect of games extremely annoying.

Of course!

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

1. Nope, its not just Android. Amazon, getjar and even iOS all suck to find new apps on your own
2. Usually recommendations, search engines when i have a certain craving lol
3. Unrepsonive gameplay first and foremost, games not tablet optimized is huge. Force closes happen, i inform the developer if its an issue and move on
4. Wing it
5. The Game has to have a good trail, not just an adfree version, i want more of a game when i buy
6. No, if i have to pass it then i usually play single player, get more features(single players always have more features), and compare scores. I prefer multiplayer with shared screen, Fruit Ninja and Two Player Attack are good examples
7. Single player, usually a multi player feature will make me more likely to buy though
8. Android Market, amazon when it is a non-google device
9. No, i hate the time and resources they waste.
10. All the time, i turned more people onto apparatus then angry birds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon jon