Bixby constantly listening, respond to absolutely everything. among other problems.

terroralpha#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
i have been out of the android game for a while, my last android phone was verizon's "droid prime". that was about 6 years ago. i decided to try android again and picked up a GS9. here is what's happening:

-Bixby: I want to keep it on so it will listen to voice commands. something i routinely used on my iphones. things like scheduling meetings with people, setting reminders, etc. i want to do the same here. but Bixy is constantly reacting to everything. i was at a meeting today and the phone started reading about kendrick lamar while we were talking about a bathing suit order from Kohls. at no point was lamar, or any rapper, mentioned. it reacts to the TV. it went ape sh*t on the train ride home. as i am typing on my mechanical keyboard right now, it's reacting to my key presses.

i disabled the bixby button, tried "training" it to only listen for my voice and turned the sensitivity all the way down. i don't know what to do.

-battery charging: charging off computers just doesn't seem to work. after over an hour i get like 8 percent while charging off a Dell Precision workstation and my custom built X299 computer. do i really have to plug it straight into the wall to get it to charge properly?

-battery drain: so far i have 7 apps installed. Delta, All nippon airways, jetblue, virgin atlantic, bank of america, chase and a package tracking app (aftership) that updates a couple of times a day. i had all these and a hundred more on my iphone 6. also have 4 e-mail accounts, 3 of which are exchange servers (push e-mail rather than pull) none of this was never a problem. i go to bed with a fully charge GS9 with all apps shut down. i wake up with a phone that's down to about 55%.... and bixby listening to me put on my socks.

-screen mirroring: i have a 2018 BMW M550 which has screen mirroring over wifi for android. for some reason the GS9 constantly disconnects. this isn't a problem with an LG phone i tried (no idea what model, not my phone). this car also has apple carplay, which also connects over wifi and has never disconnected. not once.

so, did I buy a half baked product still in beta or are there ways to fix this stuff? i tried googling, did not find anything useful. there are other issues but i want to focus on this stuff right now.

thanks

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
that is quite odd I don't use voice so I can't comment on it acting llike that.

my barley charges off the computer as well, but I know fast charge is not enabled when plug into a pc/mac. maybe someone can chime in here but it's also been a regular or slower charge for me.

I have a feeling that bixby maybe or battery problem as it seems to always be on/reacting. I have well over 30 apps on my phone and don't experience any unusual battery drain. it's either that or something else draining your battery in the background. Take a look at your battery usage in device maintenance.

can't comment on the screen mirroring as I've never used it, sorry man.

the s9/s9+ are amazing devices I wouldn't say it's half baked, may have to just get some settings right. Can be overwhelming coming from ios, as some things aren't as simple.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
the days of charging a smartphone from a pc are long gone.
we have massive batteries in our phones and the 0.5A output from a usb port in a pc is simply too low.
your samsung wall charger's output is 2A so that is four times higher.

i have disabled bixby but i am pretty sure your battery issue is related to bixby. there must be a setting withing bixby to disable always listening.
maybe someone who is using bixby can help you with that.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
i have been out of the android game for a while, my last android phone was verizon's "droid prime". that was about 6 years ago. i decided to try android again and picked up a GS9. here is what's happening:

-Bixby: I want to keep it on so it will listen to voice commands. something i routinely used on my iphones. things like scheduling meetings with people, setting reminders, etc. i want to do the same here. but Bixy is constantly reacting to everything. i was at a meeting today and the phone started reading about kendrick lamar while we were talking about a bathing suit order from Kohls. at no point was lamar, or any rapper, mentioned. it reacts to the TV. it went ape sh*t on the train ride home. as i am typing on my mechanical keyboard right now, it's reacting to my key presses.

i disabled the bixby button, tried "training" it to only listen for my voice and turned the sensitivity all the way down. i don't know what to do.

-battery charging: charging off computers just doesn't seem to work. after over an hour i get like 8 percent while charging off a Dell Precision workstation and my custom built X299 computer. do i really have to plug it straight into the wall to get it to charge properly?

-battery drain: so far i have 7 apps installed. Delta, All nippon airways, jetblue, virgin atlantic, bank of america, chase and a package tracking app (aftership) that updates a couple of times a day. i had all these and a hundred more on my iphone 6. also have 4 e-mail accounts, 3 of which are exchange servers (push e-mail rather than pull) none of this was never a problem. i go to bed with a fully charge GS9 with all apps shut down. i wake up with a phone that's down to about 55%.... and bixby listening to me put on my socks.

-screen mirroring: i have a 2018 BMW M550 which has screen mirroring over wifi for android. for some reason the GS9 constantly disconnects. this isn't a problem with an LG phone i tried (no idea what model, not my phone). this car also has apple carplay, which also connects over wifi and has never disconnected. not once.

so, did I buy a half baked product still in beta or are there ways to fix this stuff? i tried googling, did not find anything useful. there are other issues but i want to focus on this stuff right now.

thanks
Ok so basically Bixby is messing up and I suspect that's also what's causing that battery drain if it's always listening... Like I said in the other post do a hard reset and also I suggest trying out Google's assistant rather than Bixby

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you're be better off using Google Assistant and just prompting it with the "Hey Google" command. Completely disable Bixby. If you happen to do a Factory reset then don't bother setting up Bixby and use the BxActions app to remap the Bixby button.

Also, sorry can't help with the Android Auto issue as I don't use it as well.

terroralpha#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
resetting to factory settings is the first thing i tried. i disabled all the bixby garbage and spent the last 3 hours trying to get "OK google" to work, i just can't do it. some of the options are grayed out and can't be enabled. found a bunch of threads on this, like this one here, but nothing suggested is helping.

i'm calling it quits. no phone is worth this much trouble. going to try a google pixel.