Bizarre Pixel Stand 2 issue with P6P

Taylor Bird

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Pixel Stand 2 and immediately started using it with my P6P when it was delivered in mid-December. It worked perfectly until about two weeks ago.

Suddenly, when I'd put my P6P on the dock, it would connect fine for about three seconds, then the white light would go off and a flashing orange/white light would come on for about five seconds. Then, the white light would return for about three seconds, followed by the flashing orange light again for five seconds. It did this three times, and then the Stand recognizes the phone is there, but it refuses to charge. Even under settings, it'll say, "Connected but not charging."

I tried a different USB cable. I tried taking the case off. I tried putting the Pixel Stand on a different surface. Same issue. So I figured there must be something faulty with the Pixel Stand.

I reached out to Google and they sent me a replacement. Guess what? The replacement does the same exact thing. So I thought, "Maybe it has something to do with being on the Android Beta." So I opted out of the Beta and did a factory reset this morning. Tried the Pixel Stand again and ... same exact issue.

So I'm now convinced it has something to do with my P6P. Has anyone else experienced this?

darrinaltman

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Pixel Stand 2 and immediately started using it with my P6P when it was delivered in mid-December. It worked perfectly until about two weeks ago.

Suddenly, when I'd put my P6P on the dock, it would connect fine for about three seconds, then the white light would go off and a flashing orange/white light would come on for about five seconds. Then, the white light would return for about three seconds, followed by the flashing orange light again for five seconds. It did this three times, and then the Stand recognizes the phone is there, but it refuses to charge. Even under settings, it'll say, "Connected but not charging."

I tried a different USB cable. I tried taking the case off. I tried putting the Pixel Stand on a different surface. Same issue. So I figured there must be something faulty with the Pixel Stand.

I reached out to Google and they sent me a replacement. Guess what? The replacement does the same exact thing. So I thought, "Maybe it has something to do with being on the Android Beta." So I opted out of the Beta and did a factory reset this morning. Tried the Pixel Stand again and ... same exact issue.

So I'm now convinced it has something to do with my P6P. Has anyone else experienced this?

i have the same exact experience. i thought it was my case so i removed it and the same problem. charges for a few seconds then says not charging.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I had that problem with my Pixel 4 XL and OG Pixel Stand. According to google, it was a problem with the battery in the back of the phone and the battery needed replaced. Might be worth a shot. I know it's annoying and shouldn't happen but might be worth checking out. The phone should be under warranty and Google has a service contract with uBreakiFix, maybe others, so you wouldn't have to send it in.

darrinaltman

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I had that problem with my Pixel 4 XL and OG Pixel Stand. According to google, it was a problem with the battery in the back of the phone and the battery needed replaced. Might be worth a shot. I know it's annoying and shouldn't happen but might be worth checking out. The phone should be under warranty and Google has a service contract with uBreakiFix, maybe others, so you wouldn't have to send it in.
i don’t think this is my issue because i have two other anker wireless chargers and they both work even with my case on.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This was one of the first things I tried, and it didn't fix it.

You may have to RMA the phone maybe?! Does it charge with other stands? I have found the pixel stand to be very finicky.

Mine does what you are saying sometimes. It'll connect, blink white, disconnect, blink orange a bunch. Say it's not charging, then it'll start charging once the fan kicks on. If you already replaced the stand, the only other thing if might be could be the phone. However it would be pretty drastic to RMA a phone over a stand. Pixel accessories have been notoriously finicky.

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my Pixel 5 and original Pixel Stand. After trying different cables, resets of both devices, and other suggested fixes, I found that unplugging the Pixel Stand between charges solved the issue. I realize that it's not supposed to work that way, but since I only need to charge my P5 every other night, it's a simple fix that I haven't minded. Might be worth a try.

darrinaltman

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
based on the recent suggestions, i unplugged my stand and plugged it back in (i'm guessing this is considered a power cycle) and now my p6p is charging on it normally for the past 15 minutes. seems to have solved my issue. thanks @straygator7 and @maverick7526 for the advice!

Taylor Bird

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You may have to RMA the phone maybe?! Does it charge with other stands? I have found the pixel stand to be very finicky.

Mine does what you are saying sometimes. It'll connect, blink white, disconnect, blink orange a bunch. Say it's not charging, then it'll start charging once the fan kicks on. If you already replaced the stand, the only other thing if might be could be the phone. However it would be pretty drastic to RMA a phone over a stand. Pixel accessories have been notoriously finicky.

Yeah, I definitely don't want to RMA my phone over this. I might order a different (non-Pixel) wireless charger and see if it'll charge with that.

stevenfstein

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a different problem with my stand. I have it set up for "do not disturb" when docked and for the most part works fine but every so often a notification comes through in the middle of the night and the phone beeps (or whatever sound I have set) and wakes up my wife, obviously creating problems. Any ideas on why or a correction?

Best... Steve

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a different problem with my stand. I have it set up for "do not disturb" when docked and for the most part works fine but every so often a notification comes through in the middle of the night and the phone beeps (or whatever sound I have set) and wakes up my wife, obviously creating problems. Any ideas on why or a correction?

Best... Steve

There aren't any Exceptions set in the DND menu, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible the phone was displaced on the stand such that it wasn't actually charging at the time of the notification?

stevenfstein

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
happened last night - I looked at the phone and the notification was for the Blink camera, a cat had triggered it. I guess I could go into the Blink app and disable all notifications each night and re-enable in the morning but should not have to do that.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali