Blurry iPhone vids

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
hey, so just got the s20 two days ago blown away, best phone hands down and im coming from iPhone x. so I'm in construction with my dad and we send each other progress pics and vids all the time, he has iPhone se, and he sent me a video today and it was small and pretty darn blurry. I also received a video from my wife of my son and she has iPhone xs. Both videos were tiny and blurry. Looked like it was taken on a flip phone. How can I fix this? This is something where it'll make me go get an iPhone (which I DONT want to do) help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's probably because the videos are sending as MMS, which has a very small attachment size limit (about 1 MB for most carriers) -- so a video that is compressed down to 1 MB will be very low-res. This is one of the limitations of sending a video from iPhone to Android -- there's no iMessage on Android (iMessage can handle full res video). Alternatives include having them upload the video to some place like YouTube and sharing the link privately, or using another messaging platform like Telegram (which both of you would have to be on).

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
It's probably because the videos are sending as MMS, which has a very small attachment size limit (about 1 MB for most carriers) -- so a video that is compressed down to 1 MB will be very low-res. This is one of the limitations of sending a video from iPhone to Android -- there's no iMessage on Android (iMessage can handle full res video). Alternatives include having them upload the video to some place like YouTube and sharing the link privately, or using another messaging platform like Telegram (which both of you would have to be on).
Just to add to your suggestions...

The shared videos can be synced with or uploaded to Google Photos, which works with both Android devices and iPhones

Yet another option would be uploading the videos to a cloud storage such as Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox, etc.

Personally I would recommend using Google Photos since Google Photos can set to automatically sync up photos and videos taken on an iPhone and the Album in Google Photos can easily be shared.

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to your suggestions...

The shared videos can be synced with or uploaded to Google Photos, which works with both Android devices and iPhones

Yet another option would be uploading the videos to a cloud storage such as Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox, etc.

Personally I would recommend using Google Photos since Google Photos can set to automatically sync up photos and videos taken on an iPhone and the Album in Google Photos can easily be shared.

I appreciate it but that's too much work for something so simple. So all the millions of people with Samsung phones suffer from this same issue?!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hard to suggest anything else, since I would imagine the average iPhone user will be either clueless about or uninterested in doing any workarounds. If Apple were willing to open up iMessage to devices besides iPhones, then maybe it'd work better, but it'll be a cold day in heck before that happens.

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hard to suggest anything else, since I would imagine the average iPhone user will be either clueless about or uninterested in doing any workarounds. If Apple were willing to open up iMessage to devices besides iPhones, then maybe it'd work better, but it'll be a cold day in heck before that happens.

Man, what the heck. Its a three year payment plan and there's no way I can survive that long looking at blurry videos. This is going to force me to go back to the damn iPhone smh

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you convince them to try out Telegram? It's a really good platform. Considering that the average phone user (including iPhone users) likely has more than one messaging app installed (like WhatsApp), it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Man, what the heck. Its a three year payment plan and there's no way I can survive that long looking at blurry videos. This is going to force me to go back to the damn iPhone smh
Open your message app , tap 3 dots upper right corner , tap settings >chats tap> multimedia accept allScreenshot_20201024-234025_Messages.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Can also use Google messages ...what carrier you on ? And do you have the unlocked version or carrier version?

I never have issues with iPhone owners either stock app or Google

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, after discussion with mustang7757, the information I gave above is out of date. As long as your phone supports RCS messaging (the Chats setting that mustang7757 showed above), you should be able to increase the file attachment size limit, which means the videos sent by iPhones would then be higher resolution. Give that a try.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I agree with using WhatsApp or telegram. WhatsApp messages are encrypted end to end as well. Works o all platforms. It isn't worth getting an iPhone when there is a simple and free option to solve the issue.

Coop61

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
It's not a Samsung thing. It's all Android phones . I know when ever my family in Va. send me vids of the kids I had the same issue on my Pixel 3xl that I was using.