Boot sounds

0saka

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Anybody have a idea what Im doing wrong?

No, because you posted zero information on what you've tried.

Just mount /system as rw and backup and rename this file (if it exists in your rom): /system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3 . Replace it with your own.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok figured it out.
The ability to play boot sounds is not activated in CM7 based roms. You have to run a script that will enable this function on CM7 based roms. I remember somebody posting this a short while back but it wouldnt work for me. Apparently the sound file I was using was not named properly.

I found a tutorial on CMforums about how to do this. Tested it and everything works great.

This is what you do.
HOW TO ADD A BOOTSOUND TO A BOOTSCREEN ANIMATION ON START UP
TUTORIAL!

Do this -

1. download this shell script here bootsnd.sh

2. place it on your SD card & then open Terminal & type the following
su
cd /sdcard
sh bootsnd.sh

3. now by using a manager programe with R/W (ReWritable) go to the /system/bin in your phone & make sure the file has transfered over! It should say BOOTSOUND & have permissions set to rwxrwxrwx! for this i use Root Explorer or you can use File Manager once you have selected R/W

4. now put your sound you want to play in /system/media of your phone & rename it android_audio.mp3 & you will have to be in R/W mode! (please note keep it upto about 15seconds or less cause otherwise it will only play around 15seconds worth, then cut out & once your phone is ready to use it will say the audio has forced closed if you go over the 15seconds!)

5. Reboot & enjoy your new BOOTSOUND B)

I dont take credit for this & i am just adding the info here just incase you missed the post he commented on, if you wanna give thanks make sure you go here as well & say thanks to Colpophage for his help on this topic - say thanks here

It says the audio can only be about 15 seconds but Im using a 30 second clip and everything is working. Here is what Im using currently. sorry for the blurry video guess the flipcam doesnt like recording video from a mobile device :(.

ETA I posted the script from my dropbox. The original link is dead. If you have any problems getting it let me know.

If your having trouble getting sounds to play this should fix the problem.

Here is how to fix it.
Make sure you are mounting in r/w mode on each of these steps.
Using a app like root explorer, goto /system/bin and delete the file bootsound.
Back out to /system now open build.prop in text editor mode, look for this text.

Code:
ro.config.play.bootsound=1
Delete it from the build.prop and save and exit.

This is optional but recommened.
Reboot phone.
Verify no sound is playing.

Now run the script again and reboot.
You should have a boot sound again.

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Nice Half-Life remix but it didn't work for me either. When I did the command in terminal emulator it didn't give me any message of completion or error was it supposed to? Dam I want this to work so bad.

EDIT: I noticed redoing this just makes the bootsound file bigger so I deleted it and redid the steps and it still don't work but now I wonder if I need the original bootsound to make this work at all.

Last edited:

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Did everything as stated but i had to type su to give it permission first the files there but the sound will not play.

Try this instead:

Goto /system/bin and delete the file bootsound

Then

Goto /system open build.prop in text editor mode, look for this text:

ro.config.play.bootsound=1

Delete it from the build.prop and save and exit. (It may be there more than once; it is usually at the end of the file; search the whole file though to be sure)

Next

Place bootsnd.sh on your SD card. (bootsnd.sh is the script file)

Then

Open Terminal & type the following:

su
cd /sdcard
sh bootsnd.sh

Next

Using a file manager go to the /system/bin in your phone & make sure the file BOOTSOUND is there with permissions set to rwxrwxrwx

Then

Place a mp3 file in /system/media. Name it android_audio.mp3 (Make sure it is no longer than 15 seconds)

Finally

Reboot

You should now hear your boot sound when booting up.

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Nice Half-Life remix but it didn't work for me either. When I did the command in terminal emulator it didn't give me any message of completion or error was it supposed to? Dam I want this to work so bad.

EDIT: I noticed redoing this just makes the bootsound file bigger so I deleted it and redid the steps and it still don't work but now I wonder if I need the original bootsound to make this work at all.

When you run script file it will not give you any message of completion.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks danieljc1 I thought I had updated all my posts with the how to fix it if you dont get a bootsound.
Initially I just copy pasted from the cm forums and the poster had some typos and missed steps.

Also if your still having issues with this and are using a froyo rom . There have been reports of it just refusing to work. Not real sure why either.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I did a compete wipe of my sdcard and phone then reflashed my entire ROM. Then did the steps danieljc1 pointed out. I am slightly confused with "permissions set to rwxrwxrwx". Because with file expert I get a popup showing a grid of boxes with read,write,exec across the top and owner.group,all down the side with all the boxes checked and I assume that covers "rwxrwxrwx".

Another thing confusing is the file is an .mp3 and I can play it from my sdcard with file expert but as soon as I place the file in the phone at /system/bin or really any where in phone memory it then says the player doesn't support the format and it won't play. MP3 attacked but changed to .zip so just rename it.

I am running IHO BobZhome

Last edited:

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I did a compete wipe of my sdcard and phone then reflashed my entire ROM. Then did the steps danieljc1 pointed out. I am slightly confused with "permissions set to rwxrwxrwx". Because with file expert I get a popup showing a grid of boxes with read,write,exec across the top and owner.group,all down the side with all the boxes checked and I assume that covers "rwxrwxrwx".

Another thing confusing is the file is an .mp3 and I can play it from my sdcard with file expert but as soon as I place the file in the phone at /system/bin or really any where in phone memory it then says the player doesn't support the format and it won't play. MP3 attacked but changed to .zip so just rename it.

I am running IHO BobZhome

If all boxes are checked, then file is set to "rwxrwxrwx". Try renaming the MP3 file to "android_audio." with no extension. Make sure you place it in /system/media.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If all boxes are checked, then file is set to "rwxrwxrwx". Try renaming the MP3 file to "android_audio." with no extension. Make sure you place it in /system/media.

Still isn't working :'(

EDIT: I checked the build.prop and it didnt have the ro.config.play.bootsound=1 line even after I did the sh bootsnd.sh in terminal so maybe I have a bad bootsnd.sh file?

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Still isn't working :'(

EDIT: I checked the build.prop and it didnt have the ro.config.play.bootsound=1 line even after I did the sh bootsnd.sh in terminal so maybe I have a bad bootsnd.sh file?

Follow the steps to remove the stuff from your build.prop and the bootsound file from system/bin.

I edited the bootsnd.sh file to reflect the typos, so try redownloading it from dropbox. Actually give it like 30 minutes from this post time stamp for some reason its not updating.

Do the steps all again.
Are you using Bumblebee or IHO?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I will be posting a build of BACKside-IHO with working bootsound support again. I hadn't been using the feature, so I didn't realize I had been building with the files, but a typo in the updater-script kept from giving them the proper permissions. I changed the updater-script method, and it seems to be working now, check the IHO thread for a link once it's done uploading to mediafire. ;)

Reactions: curtis1973

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the effort but this just isn't going to work and isn't worth the effort any longer either. I give up

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I told Jerry a couple days ago I was going to write up a new tutorial/how to on this. Put all info in the first post. I thought about editing the first post here but the second post would look ******ed because AC has a plug in that edits quoted posts when the post being quoted is edited.

CrazyBryanMofo

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I told Jerry a couple days ago I was going to write up a new tutorial/how to on this. Put all info in the first post. I thought about editing the first post here but the second post would look ******ed because AC has a plug in that edits quoted posts when the post being quoted is edited.
Can anybody tell me how to do the opposite of all this and get rid of this boot sound? I can't stand it and I don't really want one at all because every now and then my phone reboots itself at work or in class.

Reactions: lattimorej1986

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
To remove it, you need a file manager with read/write capability such as ES File Explorer or Root Explorer etc.

Once you set the file manager to have root abilities and the system to read/write.

You can then either delete or rename /system/media/android_audio.mp3 and you will no longer have a boot sound. ;)

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Can anybody tell me how to do the opposite of all this and get rid of this boot sound? I can't stand it and I don't really want one at all because every now and then my phone reboots itself at work or in class.

This post makes my head hurt. Im glad Jerry explained it because really?

Normally if you want to undo something you just did wouldnt you follow the steps in reverse?
Reading is fun, and important part of learning how to do stuff android. In my post on the first page, I explain how to repair this and IF you read that tid bit of information you see I explain how to remove the stuff the script does. Then I would bet if you just deleted the .mp3 you would be GTG.

Personally I would be looking into why your phone is rebooting randomly. I also question the people that done like boot sounds, any of the phones marketed as "DROIDS" have a annoying boootsound of some music and DROOOOOID or just the DROOOOOID sound. Just my opinion. If the volume of the sound is the issue I can continue to de-amp it but we need to know these things. I prefer to have a bootsound so I know the phone is rebooting. Ive actually went back to my half life 2 boot sound and animation. Its not loud and obnoxious and looks and sound awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal