[BRICK WARNING]Dont clear phone via Menu>Privacy after custom rec

tucci999

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat with scootincivic. I cannot get adb to see the phone. Some of you have had luck with this so if anyone could tell me on how to get adb to see the device that would be much appreciated.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
well, I like a dumbass went ahead and forgot that I had flashed back to recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img from clockwork recovery, I was trying to fix my inability to update my prl by doing a ##786# and made a big mess of things. I followed the unbricking thread, rerooted, then got everything back to VD and back on thunderom, but now I have no data, and hands free activation will not work. Do I need to unroot once more and do the ##rtn# again? I am so mad at myself right now!!! Had to go messing around with things when everything was working fine except for prl update.
I will be updating this in a second with the exact steps I took

edit: I've made a big F'ing mess of this. I used the unroot thread, went back to stock recovery and software, did ##RTN# then it just kept trying to reboot all the time. I am hoping that it was because of the VD baseband with the V9 software, so I tried to force flash using kp500 to V9 baseband....which stopped the rebooting but I still wasn't able to activate data. I just thought about it and I did not try to do the ##rtn# again after I got to the point where it wasn't rebooting every 10 seconds, so I am going back through this all again, and going to force flash V9 once I can get it to not reboot long enough to run the tool, then I will try ##72786# as recommended by a sprint employee in the chat, then hopefully it will friggen activate.
I love gadgets but god do I hate when they malfunction due to my stupidity!!!

edit: I force flashed back to V9, then just let it sit for a few. Data seems to work again! Moral of the story is EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Based on what ##SCRTN# says it is supposed to do, it should clear out your NVRAM like ##786# (which adds factory reset of /cache /data)

I didn't actually try it as I don't have the time to deal with any issues that might arise from my own stupidity right now :)

So you had stock V9 recovery and stock V9 android and ##786# caused a boot loop? That's the first I've seen of that. Usually it loops because of the custom recovery (except CWMA that intercepts and passes stuff to LG recovery)

Also keep in mind if you have too many failed data profile attemps, sprints system can lock you out for some time from logins.

This can lead to red-herring theories.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
No, I had recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img but at one point I had CWM and I forgot that last time I was messing around when the VD update first came out, I had flashed back to recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s. I knew that RTN would work with CWM but unfortunately I didn't have CWM!

Yeah I've got it all figured out finally. Boy what a hassle. so ##SCRTN# only clears NVram and leaves everything else alone? That might be better to try for those on custom roms, because ##786# just seems to cause everything to force close when you're not running a stock rom, and especially messes stuff up if you're not on the newest CWM recovery.

When I used the nandroid (and followed instructions to a T!) from the unroot and back to stock stickied thread, my phone would boot up, go to the sprintID screen, then just reboot, then go to the sprint ID screen etc. etc. then every 4th reboot maybe it would stay on long enough for me to turn on USB debugging, then I'd have to go through the reboots again untill it would stay on long enough to force flash V9.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The background text when you enter ##SCRTN# claims to reset that data, which I took to mean that data only.

I normally only run ##786# from stock ROM and stock recovery. That is the combo I feel most safe with because I know Sprint tests it. I also recently tested CWMA with stock ROM and it works fine.

I am guessing that ##SCRTN# + wipe data/cache is equivalent to ##RTN# reset.

So I know if you do a ##RTN# reset it will fix the can't update profile/prl problem. However I don't know if the solution is purely in NVRAM or if the reset NVRAM causes stuff at the Android level to run through initialization routines that repair the Android portion. So basically I don't know if the "fix" is in NVRAM, NVRAM+Android, or just Android (triggered by NVRAM reset) I know that ##RTN# reset has all the bases covered.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
my phone would boot up, go to the sprintID screen, then just reboot, then go to the sprint ID screen etc. etc. then every 4th reboot maybe it would stay on long enough for me to turn on USB debugging, then I'd have to go through the reboots again untill it would stay on long enough to force flash V9.
Did you verify the wipe data/cache? ##786#/##RTN# should have done that for you, but what you describe sounds like a problem not in core android but something that gets loaded after android comes up.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
No I didn't verify that, but I ended up getting it to boot long enough to do what I needed to do. I'm all set now! running 1.8 with data and PRL update ability! Thank you for responding!

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
The background text when you enter ##SCRTN# claims to reset that data, which I took to mean that data only.

I normally only run ##786# from stock ROM and stock recovery. That is the combo I feel most safe with because I know Sprint tests it. I also recently tested CWMA with stock ROM and it works fine.

I am guessing that ##SCRTN# + wipe data/cache is equivalent to ##RTN# reset.

So I know if you do a ##RTN# reset it will fix the can't update profile/prl problem. However I don't know if the solution is purely in NVRAM or if the reset NVRAM causes stuff at the Android level to run through initialization routines that repair the Android portion. So basically I don't know if the "fix" is in NVRAM, NVRAM+Android, or just Android (triggered by NVRAM reset) I know that ##RTN# reset has all the bases covered.

Just a Question. You sau you know that sprint tests it, do you mean they check for SW version before activating?
I could see them checking firmware when setting you up for data, but do you think I'd be fine if I just go back to a stock nandroid, do ##72786# then nandroid back, or will the custom recovery somehow prevent everything being written to NVRAM?.

Edit: Eh, I just took the plunge and did it anyways! I still have been having trouble my phone would not recognize that there is a newer PRL out there, I thought maybe it was just not available at my tower, but just for fun I decided that now that I have CWM loaded I will go ahead and nandroid back to my stock VD and just do a ##72786# and see what happens. To start, hands free activation hung on "connecting to server". I canceled out of that, but my data seemed to work fine when i opened the browser to get it to try and activate again. Update PRL kept saying it was up to date when it wasn't so I then did a full ##786# and once it rebooted and was in the setup, hands free activation worked like a charm and then my PRL updated! Weird. guess the NVRAM was pretty messed up that it took me 3 ##786# and a ##72786# to get my dumb prl to update.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just a Question. You sau you know that sprint tests it, do you mean they check for SW version before activating?
I could see them checking firmware when setting you up for data, but do you think I'd be fine if I just go back to a stock nandroid, do ##72786# then nandroid back, or will the custom recovery somehow prevent everything being written to NVRAM?.
Glad you got it working.

When I said Sprint tests it, I meant I know Sprint tests the functionality of ##786# reset with the stock recovery before releasing an update. It is core functionality that they must have working. I didn't mean they test (as in check for) something on your phone.

cmyasika1

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
alright now that the warning is out of the way :p ..... I'd love to get my hands on one of these "bricked" phones to see truly how bricked they are. I'm not going to brick my phone for the sake of science (my phone has done enough for the community lol) so I'm hoping someone with ADB knowledge and some free time has one of these phones in their hand.

I feel like, as long as you can get to recovery, 99% of all problems can be solved with a little ADB work.

1) Does ADB recognize the phone (must be in recovery).yes
2) Does wiping factory/data/cache help? no
3) Have you tried flashing a custom ROM? (make special note of any errors) yes
4) Have you tried following the instructions to bring your phone back to stock? yes

Just need to know what has or has not been done which will assist in future ideas.

I have tried everything. I'm ready to throw my phone against a wall!!
:mad:

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Woo, ugly. My second near-bricking of this phone.
After an oops, duh, I did an LG style factory reset from clockworkmod xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img; (yes, factory reset with custom recovery is a known horrible idea and I should've known better,) and after that:
phone keeps booting to LG logo a couple times, then "Android system recovery>formatting data,cache...>reboot", then repeat.
My instructions assume you have set up/know how to use adb, and have the fastboot tool as well. Not a guide for newbies.
I finally broke the loop...
using adb, which would only connect for a couple seconds while the recovery was active.
command line:
adb reboot bootloader
to get into fastboot screen. You have to have the command ready to press <enter> in the tiny interval between when the recovery screen opens and when it reboots, not much time. It took several tries to time it where adb could talk to the phone and not error with "error: device not found" (too soon) or "error: protocol fault (no status)" (too late.)

So, I copied an older clockwork recovery (recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.6-ov-20110220.img) to the .../android.../platform-tools directory on my desktop PC where adb lives since I put fastboot there with the other phone tools,
note:(it looks like any other recovery which would normally function on the phone works for this)
and then
command line
fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.6-ov-20110220.img
to actually get back into recovery.
This next step may not be required, but it's what I did. It looks like the recovery isn't really gone, just has some stupid flag set which forces it to do the factory wipe every time it's started up, so a re-install probably doesn't do anything. Made me feel better, though. The next step after this is the important one... restore your last backup!
Then, re-install xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img (from here) custom recovery with adb (it appears this custom recovery is deactivated by the boot loop, it's still there but won't respond, only does the "Android system recovery blah blah reboot" instead of running the recovery properly, even after breaking the loop by rebooting into another recovery and restoring the last backup)
I assume flash_image is still set up on your phone for this. Copy the xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img to your SD card while still in custom recovery. Make sure to remount the sdcard in the mounts menu after this or flash_image won't see the file.
then
command line
adb shell
flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img
For insurance I advise restoring your last backup next thing (you know the drill, format data/cache/system/boot, then restore your backup) before rebooting. My problem that started this bricking was mixing an incompatible kernel with stock ROM. Until I replaced my backup, I couldn't get past the boot loop. Now it only does the "Android...formatting...rebooting" thing on startup, and only once, then boots.
If you don't flash the xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img back into the phone it only boots into whatever custom recovery you put on it to break the loop.
I'm still unable to get into this recovery, it just does the stupid "Android...formatting...rebooting" thing, but at least it just does it once and then I can use the phone.
Other recoveries I've tried only boot into recovery, not into Android, after this style near-bricking... but at least in those you can do your backup/restore and then flash xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img back into the device so it'll start up.
I'll be looking for a better solution for this, but at least I can use my phone again!
It was down for almost a WHOLE HOUR! AGGGHHH!
Though I'd share my experience to maybe give others some hope or at least a different thing to try for unbricking the lg-lg-recovery-reboot loop.
Good luck!

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the recovery isn't really gone, just has some stupid flag set which forces it to do the factory wipe every time it's started up, so a re-install probably doesn't do anything.
Now it only does the "Android...formatting...rebooting" thing on startup, and only once, then boots.
If you don't flash the xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img back into the phone it only boots into whatever custom recovery you put on it to break the loop.
I'm still unable to get into this recovery, it just does the stupid "Android...formatting...rebooting" thing, but at least it just does it once and then I can use the phone.
To stop the formatting rebooting that happens once at startup, have you tried going into the "Advanced" menu option on CWMA and chosen "Fix Recovery Boot Loop" I haven't run the virgin version of CWMA so I don't know if that option is there, but if your description had been for the Optimus S version, that is what I would have suggested.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
To stop the formatting rebooting that happens once at startup, have you tried going into the "Advanced" menu option on CWMA and chosen "Fix Recovery Boot Loop" I haven't run the virgin version of CWMA so I don't know if that option is there, but if your description had been for the Optimus S version, that is what I would have suggested.
I really wanted to try that, but I can't get the version I had on there to run anymore. It goes to the lg-reset recovery on every reboot, whether or not I trigger a recovery boot (adb reboot recovery, or hold vol-down+home+power until lg logo blanks out) even after installing a different recovery and then restoring CWMA. I'm still messing with it. And, different recoveries boot into recovery mode but won't boot android now.
It'll get figured out. The data/cache partition wipes at boot remove all my saved settings every time I reboot. grr.
<edit> just tried the newest .6 version from zefie's custom-recovery-xionia-clockwork-cwma thread and it also will not run itself, just that factory wipe which I seem to be stuck with for the moment. If I press the power button while it's doing the 'formatting...' thing, I can see the CWMA version at the bottom of the screen briefly.
Haven't figured out how to dodge that bullet except maybe unrooting/returning to stock (again) and re-rooting. I've formatted everything, swapped ROMs, swapped kernels, swapped recoveries, and nothing seems to overwrite the setting forcing the format on boot. Digging through the custom-recovery-etc thread now to see if there's a solution or maybe someone else has ended up with their handset where mine is now (not bricked, but weird and annoying.) I've bothered zefie enough already, so I'm not gonna ask him for a solution as I'm sure he's quite busy.

<editx2>tried the .3 version, it let me click the fix recovery boot loop option but did not get rid of the format-on-boot.

<editx3> Yee-Haw!
this post here in the custom-recovery... thread did it.
Cleared the blasted /dev/mtd/mtd8 which had the recovery flag in it with adb. the timing had to be as quick as when I got it into the bootloader the first time from the reboot loop.

Last edited:

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well… My phone is stuck on the load screen. If I take a brick to Sprint do they freak out or what?
I really think it’s a soft brick but I just have not the talent to unbrick yet.

What if you accept an OTA update and it gets stuck on the load screen? :)

i told sprint i accepted the OTA update, then got stuck on lg screen...they worked on it for an hour, after which they said the phone was defective as it wouldnt take any of the program when they tried to reprogram it. :cool:

and they gave me a new phone*no cost since i have insurance* (which i have now rooted and am running ThundeRom

josh445

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Need some help

I read forums after forums an well everything says "ADB" i know what it is i know how to run the commands problem is my phone wont allow me to use the USB-MS Toggle doesn't matter what i do i can't get the usb to work...Any ideas on a workaround that to get me outta the boot recovery? how it started was i had gotta a new phone n was gonna sell the optiums v so i just wanted to restore it to factory default so i did an well u all know what happened from there being a rooted phone...now i've done wiped everything on it several times along with flashing roms trying to reuse backups an well nothing if i could get it to go into usb mode an get adb i'd be golden but i can't so any help on dealing with this

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I did pose this question in another thread but my Optimus v will not mount to my PC at all? Is there a way to force my PC to read my phone?
Make sure you have all the drivers installed.. check your device manager and see if you have ADB Infastructure listed at the top of your device tree...

blazinmoe

May 8, 2011
Visit site
alright I got one for you. My optimus V keeps going back to recovery mode. Doesnt matter what I do it will do its recovery then go thru the 1st lg logo to the pink one and just stay there. I cant get it to do much. Its recognized thru the comm. ports on my computer but I cant access the sd card or anything. any suggestions?

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
alright I got one for you. My optimus V keeps going back to recovery mode. Doesnt matter what I do it will do its recovery then go thru the 1st lg logo to the pink one and just stay there. I cant get it to do much. Its recognized thru the comm. ports on my computer but I cant access the sd card or anything. any suggestions?
Get debug format zip from series Scott Pilgrim rom thread... then wipe data cache and dalvik. Next flash debugformat.zip and then flash your rom