Broken screen! Noooooooo!!

jbarborka

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
while I celebrate the good fortunes of the OP, the person who "gently dropped" their phone cracks me up. describe to me what gently dropped means? can you gently fall down a flight of stairs? I've had smartphones and cell phones for the last 11 years, and do you know how many times I've dropped ANY of them? twice. from the couch, onto a carpet. and it's not like I don't always have mine in hand, because if you see me, you see my phone most of the time. It's all about being careful. you have a mini-computer in your hand, and they are fragile. if you have insurance, use it. stop expecting something for nothing.

Your comments are coming across as fairly antagonist and condescending, and I don't think anybody in this thread is deserving of that. I don't see anybody here "expecting something for nothing", but rather sharing their opinions regarding the durability of the phone.

By the way, here's Corning's statement regarding Gorilla Glass, straight from their own website:

YRQv7.png

They specifically list drops as something that Gorilla Glass is intended to protect against. A single, 2 foot drop, is not egregious abuse, and should not have shattered the screen, according to their statement. My phone even had a case on it, and it still damaged the screen. Verizon agreed with me when I called them, and they replaced my phone under the warranty.

Having said all that, I do agree completely with the point you are making here. These are computers that fit in the hand, and they are not bulletproof. We should all strive to take great care of them, and accept responsibility for the damage we cause due to negligence.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Your comments are coming across as fairly antagonist and condescending, and I don't think anybody in this thread is deserving of that. I don't see anybody here "expecting something for nothing", but rather sharing their opinions regarding the durability of the phone.

By the way, here's Corning's statement regarding Gorilla Glass, straight from their own website:

http://i.imgur.com/YRQv7.png

They specifically list drops as something that Gorilla Glass is intended to protect against. A single, 2 foot drop, is not egregious abuse, and should not have shattered the screen, according to their statement. My phone even had a case on it, and it still damaged the screen. Verizon agreed with me when I called them, and they replaced my phone under the warranty.

Having said all that, I do agree completely with the point you are making here. These are computers that fit in the hand, and they are not bulletproof. We should all strive to take great care of them, and accept responsibility for the damage we cause due to negligence.

No, he's absolutely correct. Gorilla glass is not advertised as shatter proof. That link you posted proves that. It is advertised as resistant to normal wear and tear, and a drop onto a parking lot surface is not normal wear and tear. That also completely ignores the fact that no glass, regardless of special design, can withstand certain drops without shattering. That is common sense, which seems to be lacking these days.

The individual you're posting about expected Verizon to replace his phone because he dropped it and was not careful. He expected something for nothing.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
to reiterate what I said, dropped smartphones are relatively common, and they do happen, to all of us eventually. however, my comment was regarding Saraf F, who, in my opinion, expected something for nothing when they "gently dropped" their phone. my whole point was (1) to address the fact that we all need to be more careful with these mini-computers and (2) there is no such thing is gently dropping anything. it's just a drop. adding "gently" to the phrase is not going to lessen the fact that you dropped the device. as I stated before, if you have insurance, use it. My son and daughter, being careless and immature, (and not having to worry about the bill) have dropped their phones at least once a month. luckily, I haven't had to "replace" them. repair yes...and guess what? it came out of their allowance/paycheck from work. even my own teenager and young adult children do not get something for nothing. Verizon will take care of you, within reason. I'm sure they will replace the droid DNA with no problem, with insurance. irresponsibility and carelessness regarding your brand new phone is not verizon's problem, it's yours. use the insurance.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I called up Verizon this morning and worked my magic on the friendly female CSR who took my call. I was honest with her about what happened, talked about how much I love being a Verizon customer, how much I love the phone, and made her laugh a little at some corny jokes. After just a few minutes she was completely in my camp, and told me she wanted to try and find a solution. She said she was going to go up the chain of command to try to get an exception made for my screen damage, and get back to me with an answer. 45 minutes later I got an email telling me my replacement phone would be shipped today, and that I won't be charged for the screen damage. Kinda stunned.

Good for you for getting lucky with Verizon! Sometimes a person can get Verizon to budge, but that doesn't happen very often. Are you buying insurance now? :)

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
To all new and old of this sub forum...

Be nice. We in the rezound section have always strived to be nice to each other without attacking each other. If someone is incorrect correct them but without the personal jabs or other comments which might cause problems. If you shouldn't say it to your grandma then it shouldn't be in here. This is why many many of our users have left to other phones but continue to visit here.

If you can not follow this simple instruction then you have to options.

1) leave don't come back
2) Be a ghost and do not post.

Remember the rule Be Nice!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nickjoe