Buy the Pixel 6/Pro through Verizon?

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Bought my last phone, a LG G4, through Verizon. It was my first Smart Phone and they were invaluable in helping me learn how to use the phone. It was also FREE...ahh, remember those good old days when you got a Flagship phone for free, just to sign a new contract? Anyways, my only gripe then was Verizon disabled the AM/FM Radio the phone was built with so I would have to use data if I wanted to stream any OTA radio broadcasts. It also came with some bloatware I was never able to uninstall, but for the most mart the Verizon installed UI was not intrusive.

Now that it looks like Google has finally sorted out the majority of deal breaking Pixel 6 bugs in the January Update, I think it's time. Easiest for me is to pop by my local Verizon store and pick one up. I will know the phone will work on their network out of the box and if for some reason I get a buggy one, the Return process seems easier than buying an Unlocked version. I can also choose a Verizon Protection Plan if I choose to. An interest free monthly payment also seems nice.
My questions for those of you who bought a Verizon carrier phone are:

1. Does Verizon disable any features an Unlocked Pixel would come with?
2. Any intrusive Verizon bloatware?
3. Does Verizon still provide decent Tech Support to help with using a new phone? I know how to use a Smart phone now, but only on Android Marshmallow, and the Pixel is miles ahead of and more complicated than my old LG. Last time I needed a Verizon CS Agent, the wait was ridiculous and they were totally LAME.
4. I'm not planning on leaving Verizon per se, but how difficult do they make it to unlock a phone if I decide to jump to say T-Mobile?

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I believe the Pro models are the same. However the regular 6 from Verizon has the mmWave 5G whereas the Pixel 6 bought from Google store does not. That's why the regular 6 at Verizon is $100 more than the regular 6 at Google.

So, if you are considering the regular 6, that may be a deciding factor for you.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I believe the Pro models are the same. However the regular 6 from Verizon has the mmWave 5G whereas the Pixel 6 bought from Google store does not. That's why the regular 6 at Verizon is $100 more than the regular 6 at Google.

So, if you are considering the regular 6, that may be a deciding factor for you.

Was thinking of the Pro, but good to know there are some differences. Thank you!

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

You can also purchase the Verizon model through the Google store. When I did that, though, Verizon couldn't get the SIM to activate. Ended up going to a Verizon store anyway for them to swap out the SIM.

Verizon's tech support is OK, though be prepared to either spend a lot of time on hold or get a call back. Google's tech support has, in my experience, been non-existent. So, if you're looking to get a Verizon phone, I'd recommend purchasing it from a Verizon store.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I've bought every one of my 3 Pixels through Verizon and have been very happy with the purchases. There are a few apps, such as My Verizon and Verizon messaging that are pre-installed, but you can delete them. I happen to use that one and the Verizon messaging app as well.

Some will tell you not to buy from the carrier because they are locked, but Verizon is required to unlock the device after 30 days.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
You can also purchase the Verizon model through the Google store. When I did that, though, Verizon couldn't get the SIM to activate. Ended up going to a Verizon store anyway for them to swap out the SIM.

Verizon's tech support is OK, though be prepared to either spend a lot of time on hold or get a call back. Google's tech support has, in my experience, been non-existent. So, if you're looking to get a Verizon phone, I'd recommend purchasing it from a Verizon store.

100% on how Verizon's Support is nothing like it was 5 years ago. Didn't know Google even had tech support, and sounds like it really doesn't, lol!

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I don't think Verizon disables anything, just some things work on one model that don't on the other, as mentioned previously.

No excessive Verizon apps as mentioned previously, the 2 that are there can easily be deleted.

Verizon offers some support, not sure about the "how to use your phone" type. They might refer you to the user manual online. Expect very long wait times.

You can move a phone from Verizon to some other networks after it's paid off and whatever other terms they have, but Verizon does not make it easy. Lots of those complaints on the Verizon forum, it usually doesn't work.