Buying unlocked for Metro PCS useage

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Do I get unlocked Tmobile S10+ or just a plain unlocked S10 plus? Metro PCS use same towers as Tmobile correct? Does the Tmobile phone have to be unlocked for it to work on Metro? Thanks all!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
OK first Unlocked means unbranded, so if it says T-Mo it is a T-Mo branded phone. Many of the carriers do not permanently lock devices anymore. As an example Verizon devices usually auto unlock after 60 days. It is still a Verizon branded phone, meaning it has all of their bloatware and added junk on it but you can take it to almost any other carrier and have it activated. Some times there are still compatibility issues. I've seen several instances where Verizon branded devices taken to AT&T have messaging issues. It requires AT&T to do something on their system to get it to work and some times it requires software Flashing.

Long story short if you want an unlocked device get an unlocked device. If you want T-Mo's bloat and extras that may or may not work, or may or may not cause you issues on another carrier get the T-Mo device.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
OK first Unlocked means unbranded, so if it says T-Mo it is a T-Mo branded phone. Many of the carriers do not permanently lock devices anymore. As an example Verizon devices usually auto unlock after 60 days. It is still a Verizon branded phone, meaning it has all of their bloatware and added junk on it but you can take it to almost any other carrier and have it activated. Some times there are still compatibility issues. I've seen several instances where Verizon branded devices taken to AT&T have messaging issues. It requires AT&T to do something on their system to get it to work and some times it requires software Flashing.

Long story short if you want an unlocked device get an unlocked device. If you want T-Mo's bloat and extras that may or may not work, or may or may not cause you issues on another carrier get the T-Mo device.

Sorry but "unlocked" doesn't necessarily mean unbranded. When it comes to SIMs, unlocked simply means the phone is not locked to a specific-carrier.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but "unlocked" doesn't necessarily mean unbranded. When it comes to SIMs, unlocked simply means the phone is not locked to a specific-carrier.
When buying new it generally does mean unbranded. Carrier devices unlock, typically as I described, which allows them to be activated with other carriers but the device still carries the carrier's bloat.