Camera + Flash > Auto Focus Correcting = Auto Reboot / Reset

AppsLasVegas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 - Stock
Android: 4.2.1

Overview: Took photo with flash on, camera focus module went crazy then phone auto reboot itself.

Details:
I had my camera in HDR mode for about a week or so. Taking regular photos. Now I wanted to take a close up photo with flash, so I turned off HDR mode so I could set the flash to FORCED ON. Then I took a photo of something about 4 inches away. The flash went on, took the photo and then I saw the image on the screen. Then right after the image processed/saved and it returned back to camera mode. I heard the focus lens quickly jump back and force creating a rattling sound while the picture/image was jumping in and out of focus. It did this for about 5-6 seconds then my phone just reset itself and I saw the X logo. The phone screen when blank and it just staying like that. After waiting 4 mins, I held down the power button to turn it off and turned it back on. And its working fine.

But this seems to be a weird bug in the camera. Has anyone else tried this or had this problem? I will do a bit more testing to see if I can reproduce this reset/reboot.

robfounders

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue.
My Nexus 4 arrived yesterday. Was playing around with the camera.. flash was enabled, I took a pic, the auto-focus went a bit crazy then the phone rebooted.
I repeated this a few times (it rebooted each time), and then decided best to leave it alone. I tried with flash again today and seems ok. Bit concerning though.

PsyOr

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue as well, its not happens all the time but most of the time if you using flash - taking few shots with flash on (it could be 10 more or less, nothing constant) the device will reboot itself.
I don't know how people didn't notice it, eventhough it most happens when you take closer photos at low light/dark ...

Anyway I'm on 4.2.2, I've heard people facing this issue also with 4.3 and seems like its still there on 4.4 (from people who test it with the new version)

Maybe its something with the STOCK camera app or something with Gallery...
Anyone else test it or have any idea why is it happens?
[Take few pictures in sequence with flash on at stock camera app, then check if device freeze&reboot itself]

Waterdroid

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Tried HDR in 4.4.
First time it was functioning correctly. However, the second time I tried, my Nexus 4 rebooted. Also, my Nexus made some sort of 'click'-sound when it powered off, probably something inside the camera?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Nexus 62

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I have only ever crashed my Nexus 4 whilst using the camera. I don't use the flash though. Still on 4.3 but my phone half flattened its battery last night transferring a lot of data (approx 800MB) in the small hours so perhaps 4.4 is on its way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder