Can an application be run that uses the main Andriod screen for input/output

jjanderson52

Sep 7, 2023
Visit site
A bit of background. I have been writing backend programs in C++ and java for years. I have never written UI software for an application, i.e. my knowledge with UI software is very limited.

A friend has asked me to build an Andriod application, not an app, which will run in android as a separate thread. This thread will create what I will call DOs (Display Objects). These DOs must be displayed on Android's main screen. The application must also receive input via the DOs. I have been reviewing Andriod documentation for a few days now and I still cannot determine if the main screen is protected and to be used only by Android's internal software. Since Andriod is open source, 'protected' is probably not the right choice of words. A better question may be if the 'intention' is that the main screen only be manipulated and displayed by Android's internal software?

At this point, I believe modifying the main screen is possible, but I would appreciate confirmation. And, if you can point me to specific documentation, that will help.

Additionally, is modifying the main screen permissible? I believe this type of application will violate the terms and conditions for cellphone manufactures.

Thanks in advance for any advise given!

Jim A

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this to the Software Development forum for more specific traffic.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would also say that Android Central does not get a ton of posts about the development process. You may want to post in the forums at XDA-Developers.com as well.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a dev, but if I'm right, you want to bypass the abstraction layer and capture input directly from the digitizer and display things on the screen without the Android system knowing you're doing it. You thankfully won't be able to do this on a non rooted device, and even on a routed device I don't think it will be simple.

As I said above, this sounds very dodgy.If you aren't trying to do something insidious why not just build an app that uses normal API calls and let the system know what you're doing?

jjanderson52

Sep 7, 2023
Visit site
@fuzzylumkin

Thanks for your input. I don't know much about Android, but your description sounds accurate except for "the Android system knowing you're doing it". That is scary that the O/S could know anything.

No, not trying to dodge anything. My friend's idea for an application is quite clever, but it absolutely cannot be run as a traditional app. There is nothing insidious about the application.

jjanderson52

Sep 7, 2023
Visit site
@fuzzylumpkin

What you mention sounds plausible, except "bypass" and "display things on the screen without the Android system knowing". Hopefully, Android does not know anything - it does not have AI. Most software is based on access rights and permissions. I can understand why the Android software is setup as it is. "Bypassing" the software is not the intent. The intent is work with the existing software and use its features or add to the software to enable new features.

If I was to explain to the Android designers what my intentions were, I believe they might be interested in providing controlled access to the main screen so that they or others might take advantage of my friend's concept. But, his ideas are proprietary, and the last thing I want to do is expose these ideas. This man has made a fortune through his ideas and efforts in the non-programming world. His ideas, even in initial state, have value when compared to those of the average Joe.

As far as being "dodgy" and insidious, you should be careful what you say. That is quite insulting!

If I was out to create havoc, I would not be posting on a forum. I would study the software very carefully, find its weaknesses and exploit them. But I am basically just an honest guy trying to help a friend. No apology needed, just think about what you say or write to people.

Jim A.

jjanderson52

Sep 7, 2023
Visit site
My apologies for my last post. I wrote my 2nd to last post last night. It did not show up until this morning, after I wrote the subsequent post.

As my Mom used to say with sarcasm, "Ain't technology great".

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
@fuzzylumpkin

What you mention sounds plausible, except "bypass" and "display things on the screen without the Android system knowing". Hopefully, Android does not know anything - it does not have AI. Most software is based on access rights and permissions. I can understand why the Android software is setup as it is. "Bypassing" the software is not the intent. The intent is work with the existing software and use its features or add to the software to enable new features.

If I was to explain to the Android designers what my intentions were, I believe they might be interested in providing controlled access to the main screen so that they or others might take advantage of my friend's concept. But, his ideas are proprietary, and the last thing I want to do is expose these ideas. This man has made a fortune through his ideas and efforts in the non-programming world. His ideas, even in initial state, have value when compared to those of the average Joe.

As far as being "dodgy" and insidious, you should be careful what you say. That is quite insulting!

If I was out to create havoc, I would not be posting on a forum. I would study the software very carefully, find its weaknesses and exploit them. But I am basically just an honest guy trying to help a friend. No apology needed, just think about what you say or write to people.

Jim A.
Yeah, I was using the word "know" colloquialy.

Your friend's idea , billion dollar as it may be, is totally unworkable. The only thing stock android can really run is Java applets... it is this way intentionally, I'm sure I don't have to inform you of the security risks associated with allowing normal execution of code and access to "bare metal". The last thing the Android devs and the oems that customise it want is to create another Windows.

Your intentions may be pure as the driven snow, but you may be surprised at just how many people turn up here expecting help unlocking stolen phones, spying on people and various other forms of scumbaggery. When someone says something suspicious, I am suspicious of them..

Last edited:
Reactions: mikekelso421

jjanderson52

Sep 7, 2023
Visit site
Just for the record, in case someone else follows this thread in the future and they have an idea similar to my friend's idea and have a desire to implement something similar.

I agree that "stock" android is well thought out and generally well protected. However, my professional opinion is that his idea is workable, not on standard Android phone, but on a root phone, especially given that Android source code is available for review.

Surely, one of the Android goals is to provide security for the cell phones. But rare is a software program that does not have vulnerabilities and back doors. My friend and I are in the process of evaluating his product idea and other product ideas. At least for now, his idea has top priority. If we agree the project is worth pursuing, I plan to spend the next 6 months developing a proof of concept demo which will print "Hello, world" in the cell phones main screen.

Aside from the question of security, there is an ethical question as to whether the implementation of my friend's idea would impinge on the cell phone normal operation. Writing to the cell phone's main screen conceivably could do that, but my opinion is that his application can share the main screen without infringing on the customer's ability to operate the phone as intended.

Having stated the above, I am going to bow out of this thread.