Can Anyone Explain ICS to me please!!

artungonul

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The names are development code names. The names are based on desserts and are released alphabetically. Google started the convention with Cupcake.

Cupcake (v1.5)
Donut (v1.6)
Eclair (v2.0 - 2.1)
Froyo (Frozen Yogurt) (v2.2)
Gingerbread (v2.3 - 2.4+)
Honeycomb (v3.0 - 3.2+)
Ice Cream Sandwich (v4.0)

i guess it is too early to waitfor peanut butter sandwich :D :D

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
j- jellybean
k- kettle corn or karamel (okay not to spell it correct?)
l- licorice
m- marshmallow
n- nougat
o- orange creamsicle
p-pudding
q- quince
r- red velvet cake
s- snickerdoodle
t- tiramisu
u- upside down cake
v- Vanilla ___ (many possible answers)
w- Waffle Cone
Y- yogurt (they already did froyo, but I can't think of anything)
z- Zabaglione(An Italian desert)

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
j- jellybean
k- kettle corn or karamel (okay not to spell it correct?)
l- licorice
m- marshmallow
n- nougat
o- orange creamsicle
p-pudding
q- quince
r- red velvet cake
s- snickerdoodle
t- tiramisu
u- upside down cake
v- Vanilla ___ (many possible answers)
w- Waffle Cone
Y- yogurt (they already did froyo, but I can't think of anything)
z- Zabaglione(An Italian desert)
I think you have way too much free time.;)

engineer2001

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention that Verizon & HTC have an official Gingerbread out for the DINC too.

The thread that covers manually updating a DINC to Gingerbread is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible/116534-over-air-gingerbread.html

Just rename to update.zip, drop it on the root of the SD card and reboot into Recovery.

I don't root phones (so no custom ROMs as the previous poster mentioned). And I'm a little reluctant to ruin my perfectly good DInc with the manual Gingerbread update you talk about. I have read numerous threads where people updated their DIncs with that Gingerbread install only to find it unusable from random reboots/white screens, memory issues, etc.. There's a reason Verizon stopped pushing out the OTA updates. They had to replace too many ruined handsets. Some folks have reported getting a DInc 2 as replacement, so it wouldn't totally suck if they ruined my phone with the OTA, I guess. But I won't be eligible to get anything as replacement if I ruin it myself.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
This is why I'm sticking with Nexus phones... Manufacturers/carriers don't ruin it, Google WANTS the software to run well on the phone and WILL make it run well.

I do root my phones if possible, but don't bother so much with custom ROMs on my Nexus S cuz Gingerbread is good and ICS looks pretty awesome!

I wish I had root on my Japanese phone though, just so I could backup a few things or use some apps that need root, but otherwise yeah rooting isn't such a big deal now as it used to be.

TK1841

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I am just curious to know which phones are running this now, are there plans to bring everyone up to speed on this. It seems as if my X2 got the GB update just a couple of months ago.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the only phone with an official release at the moment. Manufacturers will release ICS updates in due time... But to select devices only.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigD