Can I get some help with a few problems I am having with receiving data intermittently from my home wifi onto Android devices?

A

AC Question

Problems with receiving data intermittently from my home wifi onto android devices.

My two devices; Galaxy s4 and a Galaxy Tab 4 both have a strong connection to my home wifi. But I notice that the actual data received hangs quite often at times. It never loses the wifi connection but there will be often times that it doesn't receive any data and apps and browsers will not work.

Hard wired ethernet works fine with router. Wifi enabled smart TV works fine with router. Resetting devices and router make no noticeable difference.

Linksys WRT54G2 / GS2
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problems with receiving data intermittently from my home wifi onto android devices.

1. Make sure the encryption in Wireless is set to AES, not TKIP or TKIP+AES (I forget if the 54 had a TKIP+AES setting). Although it should work on TKIP with Android up to 4.3, but I replaced my last 54 before I updated to 4.4.2, so I can't tell you from experience. (And the newer Linkys don't work with Android with TKIP.)

2. Next time it happens, bring the phone or tablet right to the router - maybe a foot from it. If that fixes it, you have your router on the same channel as someone else nearby and that's interfering with your signal. Use the Wi-Fi Analytics Tool to see what's going on around you. If that's the case, move the router (it's on the wifi tab) to a channel that looks like there's no signal near it - or if there are a lot of signals, the channel with the weakest signals on and around it.

3. Make sure you don't have a microwave oven running near the phone or tablet. You won't get 100mw wifi signals through 1,200 Watts of microwave signal at close to the same frequency (channel 9 is almost exactly the same frequency as used by microwave ovens, but even channel 1, the farthest from them, will still be totally wiped out by an oven while it's running). If there's nothing you can do about that (I used to have that problem when I had my laptop on my deck - right next to the kitchen), just try to not use wifi when someone is using the microwave.