Can I Odin flash my unlocked galaxy s8 phone to make it work on ATT again?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi - I'm new to flashing phones, etc. I have a Galaxy s8 unlocked version that I bought from Amazon (SM-950U1). It stopped working after ATT shut down their 3G.

1. Can I flash the SM-950U software to my SM-950U1 phone and get my phone to work again? If so, how do i find the exact software that I need. (I think there are many SM-950U software versions depending on your region, etc). Is there an ATT specific SM-950U software version that I need?
2. Do I need to do change my IMEI number also (I don't even know if that's possible)
3. Will ATT be able to figure out that I flashed a different software, and then shut down the phone again?

Please help. I am very confused

Rajan Amin

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
The issue is that my sm-950U1 is unlocked/unbranded and not an ATT phone. So ATT wont support it. But I have heard that I Can flash the SM-950U firmware and then it would work. Problem is there are lots and lots of SM-950U fimware versions. Can someone help me find the specific SM-950U firmware for what getting my unlocked non branded phone to work on ATT network?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The issue is that my sm-950U1 is unlocked/unbranded and not an ATT phone. So ATT wont support it. But I have heard that I Can flash the SM-950U firmware and then it would work. Problem is there are lots and lots of SM-950U fimware versions. Can someone help me find the specific SM-950U firmware for what getting my unlocked non branded phone to work on ATT network?
Welcome to AC!
Get the latest Odin patch B (prince comsey)
From XDA Forum, also from same source download Frija this will allow u to download firmware to your pc , back up your device as it will factory reset your device

Rajan Amin

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Get the latest Odin patch B (prince comsey)
From XDA Forum, also from same source download Frija this will allow u to download firmware to your pc , back up your device as it will factory reset your device

Appreciate the help but Im having trouble finding the firmware from XDA. Would you be able to send me a link ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, flashing firmware will not magically make AT&T accept the device. Compatibility is determined by the IMEI, not by the firmware that's on the device. So now they will only accept AT&T S8 IMEIs, not G950U1 IMEIs
If has Att as it known to have problems updating they can flash tmb firmware as Att is not easy to get and flash whenever the new update comes out sometime carrier not on same bootloader," U" and" U1" firmware the IMEI number is always the same and if they went to U1 firmware they dint have to worry about no updates as unlocked versions stay same firmware regardless carrier unlike carrier version.

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
If has Att as it known to have problems updating they can flash tmb firmware as Att is not easy to get and flash whenever the new update comes out sometime carrier not on same bootloader," U" and" U1" firmware the IMEI number is always the same and if they went to U1 firmware they dint have to worry about no updates as unlocked versions stay same firmware regardless carrier unlike carrier version.
The problem is not about firmware updates.

The problem is AT&T not supporting the device on their network anymore, as it doesn't "qualify" per their VoLTE rules