Can I skip an app's update on an app with auto-update disabled?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have Play Store set to auto-update everything, but on some individual apps I have their auto-update disabled (**). The updates do still appear in the list of updates available (and you get notifications that there are updates needing approval). Ideally I'd like to do what I can on Windows Update or on certain Windows apps that announce they have their own updates - which is to "skip this update". You then don't get notifications anymore, and that update doesn't appear in any lists. The more Android apps I have auto-update disabled and the more updates for them I ignore, the longer the list becomes.

** = No doubt someone will ask why I have auto-update disabled on some apps.
Security. I keep hearing about malware that can empty your bank accounts (using your banking apps) while you're not using your phone after they monitor your usage of them to grab your id's and passwords and the malware is on the phone so it has control over 2FA. So I thought I'd uninstall apps I thought might be at risk and disable auto-updates on some. Leaving me with apps from big companies that are less likely to be hacked or bought by someone with malicious intent. I don't use such paranoia on my Android tablet which is mostly for games and watching video, but I do on my phone with my primary email and my banking/security apps. Overly paranoid? Sure, I'll take that criticism.

2023-04-11 21.48.15.png

2023-04-11 21.51.14.png

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately there is no way to do this on Android. You can skip the update on the app (by skipping the 'Update all' button and installing just the updates you want from the list), but that's about it; it will still be on the update list until you're in the latest version of the app.

There are a couple 'workarounds', however cumbersome. One is to set the app to 'sleep' (if your device supports that; 'deep sleep' would prevent all updates/notifications from coming through), that way it disappears from the update list. When you need the app, you just wake it up! A caveat of this method, however, is that this affects general notifications from the app, too. Another way would be to use a notification app (or if you're using a Samsung phone with the latest OS versions, you can filter notifications by keyword) and set up rules that would automatically hide certain notifications (i.e. updates for a specific app).

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately there is no way to do this on Android. You can skip the update on the app (by skipping the 'Update all' button and installing just the updates you want from the list), but that's about it; it will still be on the update list until you're in the latest version of the app.

There are a couple 'workarounds', however cumbersome. One is to set the app to 'sleep' (if your device supports that; 'deep sleep' would prevent all updates/notifications from coming through), that way it disappears from the update list. When you need the app, you just wake it up! A caveat of this method, however, is that this affects general notifications from the app, too. Another way would be to use a notification app (or if you're using a Samsung phone with the latest OS versions, you can filter notifications by keyword) and set up rules that would automatically hide certain notifications (i.e. updates for a specific app).

Yeah, I've so far been clicking update on each app that I do want to update and ignoring the ones I don't want to update. It means I don't get to click the update-all button. I think using the sleep option wouldn't work for me, I do still want to use these apps - I just don't feel the need to get any updates if they're already working perfectly. It's not unusual for apps to get worse when they get updated.

I do use Tasker so I have the auto-notification plugin which I actively use to discard some annoying notifications. This issue is less about the notifications and more about the update being listed in the play store and preventing me from choosing update all.

It's certainly not a big problem, but if there was an easy option then I'd use that.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I've so far been clicking update on each app that I do want to update and ignoring the ones I don't want to update. It means I don't get to click the update-all button. I think using the sleep option wouldn't work for me, I do still want to use these apps - I just don't feel the need to get any updates if they're already working perfectly. It's not unusual for apps to get worse when they get updated.

I do use Tasker so I have the auto-notification plugin which I actively use to discard some annoying notifications. This issue is less about the notifications and more about the update being listed in the play store and preventing me from choosing update all.

It's certainly not a big problem, but if there was an easy option then I'd use that.
for the most part, apps get better with updates