Can I use the 3G Gear S2 (AT&T) without activating a plan on it?

banhmisaigon

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a non-mobile share plan with AT&T, and I do not want to change up my plans. Could I just purchase the 3g device ($299.99) and simply pair it up with my phone?

The reason I want to do this is to take advantage of the speaker on the Gear S2. It is practically the same price as the non-3g, so I'd rather buy the version with the speaker.

Would the speakerphone work via Bluetooth with no AT&T plan?

I'm not too interested about just bringing my watch while my phone is at home, I only care if the speaker works.

Also, without a plan on the watch, could the 3g/4g band be turned off somehow to increase battery life?

What are your guy's experience and thoughts with the 3g device?

Chris Fayden

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
The 3G versions have to be purchased with a plan you would probably not be able to just go in and buy it outright without the correct service on it and if you are you would pay a much more premium price and I believe there is a price difference between a non 3G version and a 3G version I looked on Samsung website 299.99 for the non and 359.99 for the 3G with eligible plan!!!

attackbike

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I bet you in time there will be ways to change the sims card out even if you have to send it in somewhere. Lot of smart people out there...>:D<

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a non-mobile share plan with AT&T, and I do not want to change up my plans. Could I just purchase the 3g device ($299.99) and simply pair it up with my phone?

The reason I want to do this is to take advantage of the speaker on the Gear S2. It is practically the same price as the non-3g, so I'd rather buy the version with the speaker.

Would the speakerphone work via Bluetooth with no AT&T plan?

I'm not too interested about just bringing my watch while my phone is at home, I only care if the speaker works.

Also, without a plan on the watch, could the 3g/4g band be turned off somehow to increase battery life?

What are your guy's experience and thoughts with the 3g device?

Your best bet is to call one of their stores and ask. Last year I was able to purchase the Gear S from AT&T without the plan. I just paid the full price and walked out. This year I was able to buy the LG Urbane 2 full price, from AT&T again and walked out without a mobile plan. I'm on T-Mobile btw.

I advise you to call because I know you can buy the other two without a plan, but I'm not sure if you can with the Gear S 2 because the SIM is embedded in it.

geekaren

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Your best bet is to call one of their stores and ask. Last year I was able to purchase the Gear S from AT&T without the plan. I just paid the full price and walked out. This year I was able to buy the LG Urbane 2 full price, from AT&T again and walked out without a mobile plan. I'm on T-Mobile btw.
Did you need to ask AT&T to unlock the LG Urbane 2 so that you could use it on TMobile, or was it already unlocked at purchase?

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Did you need to ask AT&T to unlock the LG Urbane 2 so that you could use it on TMobile, or was it already unlocked at purchase?

I got the watch on Monday and after reading up on it, decided to put in my old Gear S sim into the Urbane 2 on Tuesday. I took back the Gear S I bought from AT&T and got T-mobile's version a few days after buying it from AT&T.

I threw in the SIM from my Gear S and everything works fine on the Urbane 2. I can make calls, text and use it's GPS. I don't get LTE because of AT&T's different bands. I'm fine with 3G and since you really can't download anything on the Urbane 2, I never knew why it needed LTE to begin with.

I did get a text from T-Mobile yesterday stating my Urbane is an ineligible as a wearable since T-Mobile isn't carrying it. They said that it was disabled until I return the SIM back to the Gear S but I'm still getting service atm. I might be ok atm, but other Urbane 2 users have reported that T-Mobile was blocking their Urbane 2 from connecting to T-Mobile's network.

yessirroms

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought my S2 3G last night without contract. i am with AT&T and just told them it was going to be a gift. $299.00 paid and gone. Loving the watch.

banhmisaigon

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you can. All S2 3G versions can connect to your phone & have speaker & sound functions. It's all done through bluetooth.

Thank you for a helpful response. I called Samsung (not really a good idea), to ask them the same question, and they said it was not functional without the connection with the carrier. Didn't seem right so I wanted to ask you guys on here.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought my S2 3G last night without contract. i am with AT&T and just told them it was going to be a gift. $299.00 paid and gone. Loving the watch.

When I tried the same at a corporate store, they said they couldn't sell the watch to someone without an AT&T account. I ended up having to first create an AT&T GoPhone prepaid account for $30.

icellphones32

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Tmobile Gear S2 3G, paid $350
Got a prepaid $10 sim (it'll have is own number for a week, after that you can make calls via Bluetooth)

My real carrier is Metro PCS
I have Verizon Note 5
Everything works perfect

Posted via the Android Central App

AJ7007

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Do you have to pay 10 $ every month or just you paid once and you dont have to pay ever again ? I live in india and I want 3g version and dont want any plans on it at all. So I might get 10 $ recharge prepaid on it and dont pay ever again. Is this possible ?

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I bought a Verizon version without a contract. Don't have to pay anything extra a month. The only thing that I have to nitpick about is there's an annoying alert when I turn the watch on every morning asking if I want to activate it on a line. I just hit no and I'm on my way :)

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Verizon version without a contract. Don't have to pay anything extra a month. The only thing that I have to nitpick about is there's an annoying alert when I turn the watch on every morning asking if I want to activate it on a line. I just hit no and I'm on my way :)

Are you able to use the speaker in the watch to make a call?