Can not select part of an SMS conversion?

R1945

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am trying to select part of a long SMS conversion, and I can not do it on the Pixel 7.

When I long hold or double click on that piece of the conversation it launches an emoji window.

It does not let me copy the text.

I used to be able to do this.

I wanted to select and copy a piece of the conversion to SMS to someone else without re-entering it.

I really don't like what Google/Android has done to it's Messaging app. It has become cumbersome to use with too much stuff in it.

Are there any alternatives. Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately this is a design choice (and a horrible one, IMHO) in Google Messages. Once you long-press on a message, you'll see the 'copy' icon on the top bar that shows up (and the reaction panel), but you cannot select specific portions of the message.

If you want to do that, I'm afraid you'd have to switch to a 3rd party messaging app option (and please make sure to submit the feedback through the Messages app).

I've used Textra in the past and quite liked it, but they don't have cloud options. Pulse worked great and has a cloud option (not as good as Google's and it doesn't sync the entire database) but they (rudely) claimed they were not going to support RCS due to Google restrictions.

To the best of my knowledge, the only option with both RCS and cloud options is Google Messages.

Reactions: Super Spartan

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would suspect that this is due in part to adding the option to react to a message (so that we lowly Android users can be elevated to the level of vaunted iPhone users who can react to messages on iMessage, yippee).

At least you can copy the whole message, and then edit it afterwards.

Reactions: mutant777

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
When in the SMS thread just hit the "recents" (square button if you use button nav) and then hit select. You can select what ever part of the SMS conversation you want and copy it.
This, IMO, is one of the most underrated Pixel features!! I use it all the time and don't realize how handy it is until I use a non Pixel device.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not having a Pixel, I'd assume this would work for any app? (It still adds an additional step, though... outside the app... that shouldn't be needed...)