Can we talk about Chinese phones vs brand name ones and what they offer for their pricing?

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Over on CB, there are many that talk about the CCP policies and Chinese laws about mandatory need to have to help the state, with basically espionage against others, against companies, or against other nations. I am not familiar with those CCP/Chinese laws and suspect it is probably something about to need to have to help look after the nation's self interest. I assume there are similar policies/laws in place in all western nations, but perhaps more subtle or just easier for the Chinese authorities to exercise their's, in comparison to needing warrants and court rulings or such in western countries. If this thread existed on CB, there'd be a ton of folks chiming in saying bad to buy any phone except Samsung or Apple, due to the fact that everything else is potentially under the influence of China.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Over on CB, there are many that talk about the CCP policies and Chinese laws about mandatory need to have to help the state, with basically espionage against others, against companies, or against other nations. I am not familiar with those CCP/Chinese laws and suspect it is probably something about to need to have to help look after the nation's self interest. I assume there are similar policies/laws in place in all western nations, but perhaps more subtle or just easier for the Chinese authorities to exercise their's, in comparison to needing warrants and court rulings or such in western countries. If this thread existed on CB, there'd be a ton of folks chiming in saying bad to buy any phone except Samsung or Apple, due to the fact that everything else is potentially under the influence of China.
If Huawei/Xiaomi was available here in US I would give them a try , I like One Plus and currently own a 1+6 ,1+7 pro,1+7 T pro McLaren
I would stay away from any cheaper Chinese device or not those names mentioned here though.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
As an ex CBer for 10 years, I totally agree with your analysis, but that's purely from a Blackberry security perspective and indoctrination. They're a very insular bunch over there these days. I know, I was also one until I opened my eyes.

Having said that, they seemed quite happy using Chinese manufactured TCL Blackberry devices.

Last edited:

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, very personal choice indeed. And nothing more than that. I don't trust Chinese products. That's a concern for me, and I sincerely don't give a cent about other people saying otherwise. Yes, for security reasons. But that's me, and only me. I live in Brazil and, fortunately, here I can buy a lot of Samsung models made in Brazil (I'm typing this in a Brazilian made Fold 3) and, even, some iPhone models made here, too. So, for me, fortunately, there's no "every device are made in China anyways", which I consider good.

Apart from that. I had, some years ago, a Xiaomi Mi MIX. It was gorgeous, really. Fast, responsive, all made in ceramic: a luxury. But I sold it in a few weeks, since I could not cope with so many ads in the UI. I didn't have the option to disable it back then and, man, that made me crazy! One year later I again tried a Chinese phone. An OnePlus McLaren edition. Again, fast, responsive, gorgeous, luxurious. But, man, I never felt so spied in all my entire life. Could be me, I accept that. But at least three times I personally had the awful experience of saying something to somebody in a WhatsApp or FB conversation and, some minutes later, see a flood of ads directed to that itens in every single page I visited on my phone. It was really weird. "That's FB and WhatsApp fault, not OnePlus's", somebody can say. And I accept that in part. Because after I sold that device the issue ceased almost immediately, in the same way I never had had it before. It just... Stopped. And yes, some months later I closed my FB account and deleted WhatsApp from my phone, before decide never put a Chinese phone in my pocket again.

One more time: that's a completely personal decision. Everyone are entitled to spend their own money the way they want, after all. But that was my experience with Chinese phones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, very personal choice indeed. And nothing more than that. I don't trust Chinese products. That's a concern for me, and I sincerely don't give a cent about other people saying otherwise. Yes, for security reasons. But that's me, and only me. I live in Brazil and, fortunately, here I can buy a lot of Samsung models made in Brazil (I'm typing this in a Brazilian made Fold 3) and, even, some iPhone models made here, too. So, for me, fortunately, there's no "every device are made in China anyways", which I consider good.

Apart from that. I had, some years ago, a Xiaomi Mi MIX. It was gorgeous, really. Fast, responsive, all made in ceramic: a luxury. But I sold it in a few weeks, since I could not cope with so many ads in the UI. I didn't have the option to disable it back then and, man, that made me crazy! One year later I again tried a Chinese phone. An OnePlus McLaren edition. Again, fast, responsive, gorgeous, luxurious. But, man, I never felt so spied in all my entire life. Could be me, I accept that. But at least three times I personally had the awful experience of saying something to somebody in a WhatsApp or FB conversation and, some minutes later, see a flood of ads directed to that itens in every single page I visited on my phone. It was really weird. "That's FB and WhatsApp fault, not OnePlus's", somebody can say. And I accept that in part. Because after I sold that device the issue ceased almost immediately, in the same way I never had had it before. It just... Stopped. And yes, some months later I closed my FB account and deleted WhatsApp from my phone, before decide never put a Chinese phone in my pocket again.

One more time: that's a completely personal decision. Everyone are entitled to spend their own money the way they want, after all. But that was my experience with Chinese phones.
Fold 3 made in Brazil ? Assemble in china?
Adding some humor
That's sweet though made in Brazil , I think more companies are looking that way , Brazil is rising .

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
As an ex CBer for 10 years, I totally agree with your analysis, but that's purely from a Blackberry security perspective and indoctrination. They're a very insular bunch over there these days. I know, I was also one until I opened my eyes.

Having said that, they seemed quite happy using Chinese manufactured TCL Blackberry devices.

Not many at CB right now have much good to say about TCL either.

Just to clarify, it's not my analysis but rather what some others are saying. I am however trying to understand the legitimacy of it, and interested in what folks here in AC think.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, CB is a bit different these days.

But the discussion over there is more about what the Chinese government requires of companies who operate within their borders. That includes Chinese companies AND outside companies that want to do business in China. Look at the fact that Apple had to admit just a few years ago that they had to share all data on customer usage to the PRC in order to sell their iPhones and provide their services within their borders.

Chinese companies absolutely have to share all that as well (it's how they establish their Social Credit system), so the question with those Chinese devices, how much is put into those devices that are sold outside of China. Probably none, but there have been instances of apps being pushed to some Chinese devices that were found to be calling home to a Chinese server - including TCL made KeyOne and Key2 devices. There was a mystery app store that popped up on those Key devices several years ago. BlackBerry Mobile (the non-Chinese company that combined some TCL execs with BlackBerry Ltd. execs to sell and service the Key devices) had to dig into it and get TCL to take it off. All this proved was that there were ways for a Chinese manufacturer to push apps and services to their phones without the user's knowledge.

And what will those unknown services do? It is a matter of who do you trust. Sure, data is shared no matter who makes the phone or where you are in the world, but we know generally what Google is doing with it. Apple, outside of China, may not be sharing it as much (that we know of), but they are aggregating it for their own use at least. Microsoft is somewhere in between those two.

I think that's why you may find distrust of Chinese company made phones. More so than phones manufactured in China but sold by non-Chinese companies where some pre-assembly of parts occurs outside of China before final assembly in China.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Fold 3 made in Brazil ? Assemble in china?
Adding some humor
That's sweet though made in Brazil , I think more companies are looking that way , Brazil is rising .

Yes, they are! So is Vietnam, which I hope rises as fast as possible.

And really need clarification whether PRC or ROC.

I have no problem with Chinese companies so long as the info they collect is used for advertising for the company and that puts them inline with all other companies out there. I will never accept a company, from any country that feeds all info back into the political arm of the country. And that applies to any and all...

I took serious look at the OnePlus 10, and it was priced right there with the Pixel 6; however, the major disadvantage, for someone like me who carries their phone in the back pocket, it snapped in two like a cold candy bar. Not good. I'm sitting on my 4XL at this time.

And since I worked in Asian countries in capacities I'll guess no one here has done; I will stop any further comments regarding this subject.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I have no problem with Chinese companies so long as the info they collect is used for advertising for the company and that puts them inline with all other companies out there. I will never accept a company, from any country that feeds all info back into the political arm of the country. And that applies to any and all...

I took serious look at the OnePlus 10, and it was priced right there with the Pixel 6; however, the major disadvantage, for someone like me who carries their phone in the back pocket, it snapped in two like a cold candy bar. Not good. I'm sitting on my 4XL at this time.

And since I worked in Asian countries in capacities I'll guess no one here has done; I will stop any further comments regarding this subject.
Which phone snapped like candy bar?

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Xiaomi makes several high value phones. In Indiaw which is a highly competitive and value conscious market they've been king for several years. Mainly midrange phones. In the past 2-3 years they've ventured into the flagship phone sector. Last year's Xiaomi 11 Ultra was one of the most highly rated phones. The only reason I didn't buy it is because of my love affair with the S Pen. It astounds me that after these years there is still no competition to Samsung in that respect

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
"I don't trust Chinese products."
I think you need to do some real research on all the products that are produced in China before you make that statement. For just one example...were you aware that the vast majority of prescription drugs are actually manufactured in China? Got a recent scrip from the doc.... maybe for grandmas blood pressure???? How's your trust level now?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
With the world political climate the way it is right now, I need to 150% know that the company I'm giving my data to, banking and otherwise, is as absolutely trustworthy as they can be... and although far from perfect, I choose to trust an American company who has to answer to American law versus a Chinese company that has to do whatever their government tells them to. There have been to many things found on Chinese phones, that have snuck through for too long, for me to rest easy using them with any peace of mind.

After the huge scandal the BLU phones had I'm surprised anyone would still purchase one... but memories seem short. I really don't like sharing my data on ANY device, but there's only so much that can be reasonably avoided before you have to make a choice.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Retired General? Retired Government/Military in some capacity I'm guessing... don't be shy we can all keep a secret ;) ... mostly I think? :p

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
"I don't trust Chinese products."
I think you need to do some real research on all the products that are produced in China before you make that statement. For just one example...were you aware that the vast majority of prescription drugs are actually manufactured in China? Got a recent scrip from the doc.... maybe for grandmas blood pressure???? How's your trust level now?

It’s true that many of our prescription drugs, or the chemicals they are made from, are from China. Many other countries also.

We have to have a certain level of trust with each other because of our global economy. If a country were to break that trust they could find themselves losing a significant amount of income for a long period of time. That, I believe, keeps us all on our toes.