Can't copy/move files to G6 with Windows 10?

Catseyeguy

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Hello!

3 days ago, I upgraded from my Moto X Pure to a shiny new Ice Platinum 32GB T-Mobile LG G6. I absolutely love this phone!

It's been interesting adjusting to my first "non-pure" skin (I had a Nexus 5 before the Moto), but I've managed to make it feel like home.

After installing my favorite apps, I decided that I needed to carry the "Triton" ringtone from my Nexus to this phone as well.

I plugged my G6 into my Windows 10 Home laptop using the included Type C cable, set the USB type to MTP, and I was able to view the files on my laptop.

I dragged the .ogg file from my old backup folder and I was able to copy to it "Ringtones". Easy. A few hours later I decided that I wanted my old notification sound as well. I plugged my phone into the same USB plug on my laptop with the same cable, set the USB type to MTP, and downloaded the notification sound online.

However when I tried to drag and drop the .ogg file to the "notifications" folder, there was just a "no can do" icon and I couldn't paste the file. I tried rebooting my G6 and laptop but after that the file icon would just go transparent with no icon or text when I tried to drag it to any folder on the phone.

I tried a different cable, tried the same process and ringtone file I used before, just to test, and it just didn't work. The Devi e shows up as a media device (not sure what it's actually called, the icon is an MP3 player in Windows) with an "internal storage" folder inside. The "read only", etc attributes are unchecked, but greyed out.

I'm running Windows 10 Home and Android 7.0 on an NRD90U T-Mobile G6.
Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

mitul_mehta

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I am facing the same issue with lg v20 on my mac. So i removed the sd card and put it in the sd card reader and the result is the same. Guess it is coz of default encryption. Now i put another sd card in my card which was working fine a while ago and the result is the same. Guess something to do with laptop os.

Catseyeguy

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I did end up working around it (rather inefficiently) by using Bluetooth to send the file to my phone, then using Total Commander to my move it to the "notifications" folder. I had to actually open the file in media player first, then click the little "+" icon in the sound settings and select it from there AFTER I had moved it to notifications.

Still, it would be nice to be able to move things to my phone in the future.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Bluetooth transfer, that's rough. Might be a good idea to check if the proper LG drivers are installed on your PC, now that I think about it.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I use Send Anywhere to transfer files to/from my phone, chromebook, and windows laptop almost daily. You can transfer several, or one, files at a time. Very easy and works great. Although, if I am moving a large number of files I do use a cable instead.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hebdo_Madaires