Can't Decide Between 6P & 5X - Need Your Advice

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. I could use some advice. I'm currently using an original Moto X (2013) and am ready to get something new. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy the 6P or 5X. On specs alone it seems like I would lean toward the 6P but I'm concerned about the size. On the other hand, I feel like the 5X is just a lateral move from my current phone. Thoughts?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I had the same decision to make. Wanted the 5X based on size, but price and spec wise, there's almost no reason not to pick the 6p. For $70 you're getting a considerable upgrade and a fairly future proof phone. The 5X will run terrifically and probably be an amazing phone, but for an android fan wanting the most for their money, it's hard to overlook the advantages of the 6P.

The size had me worried too, but I bought it anyway. I suppose we won't know until it comes out, but I know that everyone I've ever known who's gotten a "big" phone says that you get used to the size quickly and then you can never go back. I imagine it'll be the same :)

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't see the 5X as a lateral move. The 5X will get you an updated processor, more pixel density on the screen, support for all the major radio frequencies and LTE bands, bigger battery, latest version of Android, fast charging etc. . . . and the fingerprint sensor looks cool. Its a "Is the glass half empty or half full" kinda question.

And, yes, I know the price gap between the comparable 5X and 6P is relatively small. But . . . go up to a 64GB model and that number goes up at $50 and rises even more for the 128GB.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. I could use some advice. I'm currently using an original Moto X (2013) and am ready to get something new. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy the 6P or 5X. On specs alone it seems like I would lean toward the 6P but I'm concerned about the size. On the other hand, I feel like the 5X is just a lateral move from my current phone. Thoughts?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p/588813-why-sudden-shift-5x-6p.html

There's obviously no one right answer for everyone, I'm not sure what you want people to tell you. If you like smaller phones go with the 5X, if you like larger phones go with the 6P.

As has also been discussed excessively, if you are considering the 6P and you've never had a big phone before, go out to stores and find similar sized phones and see what you think in person. Or find a friend with a galaxy note, either way you need to see for yourself.

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I see what you're saying, lateral move to me is mid-range to mid-range. I'm also torn on the screen... I love the AMOLED of the Moto X.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The size had me worried too, but I bought it anyway. I suppose we won't know until it comes out, but I know that everyone I've ever known who's gotten a "big" phone says that you get used to the size quickly and then you can never go back. I imagine it'll be the same :)

After 2 weeks with the Moto X Pure Edition the nexus 5 feels ridiculously tiny now. It's fun how the brain works and how fast we adjust.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
After 2 weeks with the Moto X Pure Edition the nexus 5 feels ridiculously tiny now. It's fun how the brain works and how fast we adjust.

I remember back when I had the Palm Pre and it's little 3.1" screen, I used to think, "Wow, this phone is perfectly shaped for my hand. It's amazing how they designed it so well. No phone will ever fit my hand this perfectly." Now when I see that phone, it's practically the size of a kiwi and I can't imagine how I even held it without my fingers covering up the display.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I see what you're saying, lateral move to me is mid-range to mid-range. I'm also torn on the screen... I love the AMOLED of the Moto X.

Midrange is a very misleading term now a days. Is it midrange because of the price? The 808 processor is in other phones that we don't consider midrange and the 5X is not skimping on any features like NFC as oneplus did...

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, I keep all of my old phones. So when my Samsung was at the repair depot for three weeks, I used my older phone with a smaller screen. I couldn't imagine that I got by with such a small phone.

crazymario

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
It only depends on what you think you want in your next phone. Will you regret not buying the 6P if you decide to buy the 5X? Of course, returns are easy, so not much is at stake here, but you get the idea. It seems the only thing you're concerned about is the size. Go to a store and give an iPhone 6(s) Plus a shot, since that phone has nearly the same dimensions as the 6P. Then, decide for yourself if that size is a good fit (in all senses of the word) for you, or if the better specs of the 6P overweighs the larger size.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It only depends on what you think you want in your next phone. Will you regret not buying the 6P if you decide to buy the 5X? Of course, returns are easy, so not much is at stake here, but you get the idea. It seems the only thing you're concerned about is the size. Go to a store and give an iPhone 6(s) Plus a shot, since that phone has nearly the same dimensions as the 6P. Then, decide for yourself if that size is a good fit (in all senses of the word) for you, or if the better specs of the 6P overweighs the larger size.

I would say the galaxy note 5 is a better comparison, similar body size and the same screen. The iPhone is misleading due to the smaller screen and larger bezels.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I would say the galaxy note 5 is a better comparison, similar body size and the same screen. The iPhone is misleading due to the smaller screen and larger bezels.

The iPhone has nearly the exact same dimensions though so the feel in hand will be similar. The note has the same screen size but a smaller body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone has nearly the exact same dimensions though so the feel in hand will be similar. The note has the same screen size but a smaller body.

Agreed, and the thickness and metal body are very similar to the iPhone. My only concern about someone who isn't used to big phones basing their decision off of the iPhone is the screen to body ratio. When you look at the iPhone it looks unnecessarily large and it feels like a waste. I could easily see someone being deterred by that and not feel like the big phone is worth it.

Just my suggestion, in the end put your hands on as many phones as you can to decide what works for you and more information never hurt anyone.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, and the thickness and metal body are very similar to the iPhone. My only concern about someone who isn't used to big phones basing their decision off of the iPhone is the screen to body ratio. When you look at the iPhone it looks unnecessarily large and it feels like a waste. I could easily see someone being deterred by that and not feel like the big phone is worth it.

Just my suggestion, in the end put your hands on as many phones as you can to decide what works for you and more information never hurt anyone.

I agree. Or go somewhere like Best Buy where you can look at both easily to get some kind of idea.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Grabbing a coworker's iPhone 6plus is exactly what I intend to do to get a feel for whether or not I will be able to deal with the dimensions. I also see what you are saying but for me my brain is pretty set on the physical size of the phone and what its going to feel like in hand and pocket rather than whether the phone feels like its too big for the screen it has. I cycle rather frequently and if the phone is going to be too cumbersome to fit in the back pocket of a cycling jersey that very well could be a deal breaker.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Grabbing a coworker's iPhone 6plus is exactly what I intend to do to get a feel for whether or not I will be able to deal with the dimensions. I also see what you are saying but for me my brain is pretty set on the physical size of the phone and what its going to feel like in hand and pocket rather than whether the phone feels like its too big for the screen it has. I cycle rather frequently and if the phone is going to be too cumbersome to fit in the back pocket of a cycling jersey that very well could be a deal breaker.

I had an iPhone 6plus once upon a time and it would have never fit in that pocket of my boyfriends cycle shirt. But have you looked at the fitness belt things? They are for runners and I used to use mine when I was biking to work. They fit around your waste and stretched enough to fit my nexus 6 so def would fit this. Just a suggestion! Good luck whatever you decide.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the same decision to make. Wanted the 5X based on size, but price and spec wise, there's almost no reason not to pick the 6p. For $70 you're getting a considerable upgrade and a fairly future proof phone. The 5X will run terrifically and probably be an amazing phone, but for an android fan wanting the most for their money, it's hard to overlook the advantages of the 6P.

I completely identify with the last paragraph. I wasn't too sure about the jump to a big phone, but after I bought a OnePlus 2 and got it in my hands, I was hooked on a big display. The 6P has remarkable dimensions for a phone of its size and specs, so if the size is the only thing holding you back, I say make the jump.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
get the 6p. if you're like most people, the size wil be something you'll like after a few days, and if not just exchange it. for an extra $70 you're getting a much better value. if you're looking for a comparison check out the iPhone 6+

that said, the 5x definitely isn't a lateral move. I just think the 6p is special, I haven't been this excited for a phone before as it really checks all the boxes for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak