Can't do factory reset on Nexus 7 2013. Now what?

remoh71

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I think a recent Android update may have bricked my Nexus 7 2013. It will only boot as far as the Google logo. The device is encrypted but I'm never prompted to enter the pin.

I first tried going into recovery mode and clearing the cache partition (since that saved me once before when something similar happened) but I receive a ton of errors when I do that. Most of them indicate that the cache partition can't be mounted. For example E:failed to mount /cache (invalid argument) ....E: Can't mount /cache/recovery_last log ...etc. Also, 'E:Failed closing /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc (I/O Error)'

So I tried doing 'wipe data/factory reset' instead. Obviously, I don't want to lose all my data but at this point I'd be happy just to get the device working again.

Same thing here. After hanging at 'Formatting data...' for a long time, I again get a long stream of error messages indicating that the cache partition can't be mounted. ..and the same 'I/O Error' message.

What can I do now that even a factory reset fails? At no point am I prompted to enter my pin so I'm not even sure how it COULD access any of the data on the device.

lspomob

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem (or a similar one) as the original poster - Android crashed, hangs with "GOOGLE" showing on power up. I got into Android Recovery and tried wipe data/factory reset - lots of messages about failed to mount cache... Tried to wipe cache - same errors. BTW, my device is not encrypted...

So - figured I would try some of these external recovery/update mechanisms, which led me here... Problem is: the first thing in the "Manual Update" process is "Enable developer settings and USB debugging." Unfortunately - with my tablet dead, I have no way of doing that :) Any workaround for that?

I'm going to proceed with the process, but suspect it will fail along the way without those options enabled...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dan

remoh71

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the long delay in following-up.

The device isn't even detected when connected to a PC so none of the adb commands can be used. ...and none of the recovery mode options work either because the device doesn't seem to be able to mount or access the filesystem.

I hope I'm wrong but it seems you're pretty much screwed if you run into this issue. Kinda sad that a forced update can destroy a device like this and there's no recourse with the manufacturer or Google.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's unlikely that the forced update ruined your device, or the more recent poster's device; much more likely that the flash part finally gave up the ghost, leading to the inability to read/write from/to the firmware.

I won't say that this is a common problem, but I've seen it enough to recognize that symptom.

lspomob

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I never got mine working. I don't think it had anything to do with an update - was not applying one when it failed. I assume it was some hardware burp that just happened... A cosmic ray, perhaps.

I did like the Nexus device - no bloatware, fast updates - considering one for my next phone - but there is no one to TALK TO for support. I bought a Samsung tablet to replace the dead tablet, and I feel I could talk to someone at Samsung if something catastrophic happened..

Such is life (sigh)
Dan