Can't get Google Maps to give voice navigation while driving

kindakooky

Sep 17, 2019
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S10 and I use Google Maps as my sat nav. For some reason I am no longer getting turn-by-turn voice navigation. I have no idea why cos I always used to get voice navigation from Google Maps. The problem seems to start when my phone connects to my car's audio system via Bluetooth; I can get directions to a place and tap Start when I'm at home and I'll get voice directions straight away.

I've already checked that I have latest version of Google Maps installed and that the Play Voice Over Bluetooth setting is toggled On. I can't figure out why it isn't working, please can someone help me??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which car system are you using? Does the phone play music over the system without difficulty? Are you using Google Maps over Android Auto?

In the Maps interface, tap the speaker icon -- what is that set to? You can set it so that it speaks everything, only traffic alerts, or nothing.

kindakooky

Sep 17, 2019
Visit site
Which car system are you using? Does the phone play music over the system without difficulty? Are you using Google Maps over Android Auto?

In the Maps interface, tap the speaker icon -- what is that set to? You can set it so that it speaks everything, only traffic alerts, or nothing.
My car doesn't support Android Auto (it's a 2014 reg Kia Picanto and I think it's too old). I thought the problem might that it was trying to use Google Maps over Android Auto anyway though, so I've disabled and force stopped it (I know I can't uninstall it). That hasn't helped. The phone does play music over the system, I can play songs through Spotify no problem. I just can't get it to speak any directions to me!

I've also checked the speaker icon on the Maps interface and made sure it is set so that it speaks everything.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked in the Maps interface? There's an option to mute the turn-by-turn directions. In the stand-alone Maps app, it's a speaker icon on the right side that when tapped gives you 3 options for audio from the Maps app...

You can see it in this screenshot -
Screenshot_20210725-143052.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked in the Maps interface? There's an option to mute the turn-by-turn directions. In the stand-alone Maps app, it's a speaker icon on the right side that when tapped gives you 3 options for audio from the Maps app...

You can see it in this screenshot -
View attachment 335502

I think the OP already mentioned checking that, be we can see if they confirm it.

kindakooky

Sep 17, 2019
Visit site
UPDATE: So it seems that the reason I couldn't get Google Maps to give me voice directions was because it wasn't /isn't connecting to my car's bluetooth. I figured this out cos of a notification from Smart Things I got when I first tried to connect my phone when I got in my car which asks me whether I want my audio output set as "Picanto" (my car) or "This device" (my S10) - I chose the latter and hey presto, I have voice directions! The only problem now is, I need to know how I can set it to choose my S10 as my audio output by default, because when I got in my car and started up Google Maps to drive back home, I found that the voice directions had disappeared again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
UPDATE: So it seems that the reason I couldn't get Google Maps to give me voice directions was because it wasn't /isn't connecting to my car's bluetooth. I figured this out cos of a notification from Smart Things I got when I first tried to connect my phone when I got in my car which asks me whether I want my audio output set as "Picanto" (my car) or "This device" (my S10) - I chose the latter and hey presto, I have voice directions! The only problem now is, I need to know how I can set it to choose my S10 as my audio output by default, because when I got in my car and started up Google Maps to drive back home, I found that the voice directions had disappeared again.
Hi , probably easier solution be in your Bluetooth device history toggle one of the option list phone or car radio system off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174