Can't hear caller and caller can't hear me unless I put on speaker phone

Sal Anthony

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I've same problem. I'm almost certain it has something to do with our wifi connection -- too weak, or not constant. I never used wifi calling, because, I always ended up w/the problem we're experiencing. I've looked for the feature to disconnect it, but haven't located it as of yet. I don't believe a replacement is the solution. My wifi wasn't constant, so I disconnected it during calls, problem solved. If anyone finds a way of disconnecting wifi calling on the s5, a response would be greatly appreciated. TY!

Johnny Moore Cain

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok so much for the s5 being dust proof! If people cant hear you properly when you call them but you can hear them.... there is a tiny hole at the bottom of the phone on the left side of your charger part if you get a paper clip and poke it around in there it gets unblocked and works again and people can hear you clearly again

secualrhaze

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Same problem except it didn't start until about two weeks ago. For about three days no one could hear me at all unless on speaker. Within the next couple of days, it got a little better. It started cutting out as opposed to going completely out. Took it to the Samsung experience, or whatever, in Best Buy and the guy thought there might just be debris in there so he cleaned it out, as mentioned in the previous reply. He also did all the software checks that he could and everything came back normal. Worked for one call and then started cutting out again. Took it to Verizon a few days later and the guy did what he called, a soft reset. It worked normally for maybe three calls and cut out again. At this point, I can either yell into the phone or put it on speaker phone to get a clear call.

Sandra Andrew

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I am so glad I found this site. I also bought the galaxy S5 5 weeks ago and a few days ago just about every call I could hear the called or caller but they can't hear me. I have been trying everything to figure out what I did that caused my phone to do this. I will deal with this tomorrow.

Marci Lail

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I got my S5 when it first came out and started having this problem today. But a reboot seems to fix it. Hopefully it is a bug that will be fixed with the next update.

Posted via Android Central App

TenchiZ

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a Sprint Galaxy S5 I just purchased and have been experiencing the exact same problem. I don't even hear the ring tone with I call someone, but using speakerphone works. Turning Bluetooth off doesn't fix the problem; only resetting the phone does the trick. Frustrating. >.<

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I came here to post in the under water trial thread and ran across this one. I had the same issue today (4 day old phone). I got a call but couldn't hear the caller and they couldn't hear me. I called them back and same thing. I couldn't hear if their phone was ringing and if/when they answered. My first thought was maybe it was because I took my phone into the pool and I was kicking myself for testing the claim it was water resistant. I think the bluetooth is the culprit because I suddenly had trouble connecting to my car even though it was previously paired. I powered off, took out the battery to check for water and closed it all back up...turned it on and it worked just fine. I do hope there is a fix in the works.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I have the issue of "can't hear caller, they can't hear me" it has ALWAYS been when I took off my BT headset but forgot to turn it OFF and it is still in range.

I quickly hit "speakerphone" and all is good to go.

LeahG16

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I finally found a fix to the bluetooth portion, at least I believe I did as it worked for a couple of months. I had turned on Power Saving Mode and Block background data. When I turned this back off my phone and blue tooth worked properly again. HOWEVER, my son is borrowing my truck this weekend and my Bluetooth is in the truck and my phone started up again. Only way anyone could hear me is if I had my phone on speaker phone or my wireless Bluetooth headphones I have in the house. After trying several settings, restarting my phone, taking out the battery with no luck, I came back on here and saw the new comments with the same issues. So I tried putting a staple (versus small paper clip) in the small hole at the bottom to the left of the charger hole and it started working again. Let's see how long this lasts. I love this phone but this issue has got to stop!

Last edited:

beachbum40

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I think this has to do with water resistant properties. Both mics have a membrane inside the housing to keep water out. This is buffering the sound coming into both mics. This is why people can't hear you on speaker phone unless you speak directly into the mic in close range which defies even having speakerphone.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

angrypanda

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine was doing the same and it was making me mad, 2 weeks old. I restarted it and turned all the volumes from off/vibrate and tested a call and it started working. Not sure if it decided to stop being a POS or that was the reason. More testing is needed. :-\

Lorena Anoceto

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the Samsung S4 and started having the issue when I placed a call the called heard static and I could not hear anything. Speaker would not work, only thing that worked was the bluetooth.

I cleared the cache and it seems to be working. Below are the instructions. Hope this helps someone.

Samsung S4
Wipe cache partition : This reset will not delete any personal data saved on your phone. Wipe cache partition means wiping the most commonly files from the cache stored by system.These files won’t be deleted from your phone in general so it’s SAFE to wipe the cache partition in order to a fresh start of your phone. So how to do it?

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
Volume Up key
Home key
Power key
When the phone vibrates, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and theHome key.
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
Press the Volume Down key to highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
Press the Power key to select. The phone will automatically restart after the cache is wiped.

Lorena Anoceto

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I was unable to hear anyone and they could not hear me unless I used my bluetooth. After a week, the bluetooth started working but would stop working in the middle of the call. I restored my phone to factory reset and now it's working. I used Kies to backup and restore. It did not restore exactly how I had it before, and my ringtones were not restored.

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
My phone hasn't repeated this issue since the first time it occurred. I haven't had any more issues with the bluetooth in my car either. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't occur again.

drew_kaye

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I found out my problem, which may only help some.

But - I had bluetooth on in my car for phone calls. When I came home and made a call, it would only work on speaker phone. I've since disable bluetooth and shut down the phone/removed battery and it was back to normal. I think the bluetooth firmware has a glitch & was still trying to connect to my car (which isn't parked far away). I'm either going to have to deal with doing this each time or request a new phone. I travel a lot for work and constantly restarting/removing battery is tedious.

Is anyone else seeing similarities with their bluetooth and car coinciding with this issue? I'm narrowed it down to that for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord