Car dock and Car Charger Recommendations

brichter45

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey All,

Wanted to get some input on a Car charger and Dock for the HTC evo 4g. My phone arrives on Monday and I'm taking a 6 1/2 hour trip on Friday. Want to use the GPS for the trip and figure it's a perfect opportunity to try it with a dock!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Gekko i just bought an OEM sprint charger on Ebay for $10.00. Hopefully it works! Now i just need a car dock!

be careful on ebay. there are some fake "OEM" chargers out there.

IMO don't scrimp when it comes to charging your $700 device.

good luck.

RRM707

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
We're still waiting for a really good car dock. I ordered a couple, haven't gotten them yet.

ProClip Mounting System - AT&T Apple iPhone 3G - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel

& this one:
http://www.wiredforless.com/product_p/soundm2.htm

I will post my findings, once I try them. The adjustable iPhone Holder from ProClips looks to be a good one, as the adjustability will allow my Evo (in its case) to fit nicely. Also, both of these are supposed to work well in landscape mode,
which is what I prefer.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
At least you admit it's luck.

Honestly my last reply was more tongue in cheek as I don't believe its luck. I've never had an issue with ebay car chargers and I don't see how someone could sell chargers that don't work without getting a bad reputation first. Make sure the seller has a good rating and buy with confidence because I have purchased several from different vendors without any hiccup in quality. It sure beats forking over $20-$30 to a sprint store for that same charger that is probably sourced from the same Chinese factories that the ebay chargers come from.

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I bought this last week (for $5 more than it's current $29.99 price) from Amazon and I love it. The cigarette lighter gooseneck mount is just way more versatile that the suction cup or vent mount, plus it has a decent FM transmitter for audio (Pandora, Last.fm sound really good - and it's nice to be able to hear the Sprint Navigator over the car speaker, too)

Amazon.com: Advanced Car Mount System FM Transmitter & Charger for…

brichter45

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought this last week (for $5 more than it's current $29.99 price) from Amazon and I love it. The cigarette lighter gooseneck mount is just way more versatile that the suction cup or vent mount, plus it has a decent FM transmitter for audio (Pandora, Last.fm sound really good - and it's nice to be able to hear the Sprint Navigator over the car speaker, too)

Amazon.com: Advanced Car Mount System FM Transmitter & Charger for?

Looks nice, Unfortunately my Cig lighter is on the passenger side down by the legs. I doubt this gooseneck would be convenient for me. If i had a dif car then i would definitely look into it!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Amazon sells a Belkin USB charger that plugs into a lighter socket for about $10. Might be able to get it at someplace like Best Buy, too. Belkin makes high quality stuf. I have one, and it works perfectly.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
We're still waiting for a really good car dock. I ordered a couple, haven't gotten them yet.

http://www.wiredforless.com/product_p/soundm2.htm

Only issue I see with this one is that you have that disk stuck to the back of your phone all the time, even when not using the cradle. It's hard to tell from their photos and video how thick those little buggers are, but since I normally carry my phone in my pocket I don't need any extra thickness.

They probably interfere with many cases, too.

Gelst

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Amazon sells a Belkin USB charger that plugs into a lighter socket for about $10. Might be able to get it at someplace like Best Buy, too. Belkin makes high quality stuf. I have one, and it works perfectly.

I bought one of the USB car charger lighter plugs from Best buy and they work perfectly. It charges at 1k miliamps or whatever is the correct ampage for the EVO and I can use it for anything that I can plug in via USB. I just got back from 4.5k mile roadtrip and the charger worked just fine actually charging my phone while running Google navigation and everything else..

Also I bought a car windshield mount that I will post picutres of soon that worked with my EVO that has a seidio innocase 2.
Amazon.com: iGrip 1263 Extender Kit Universal Windshield Mount: Cell Phones & Service

The car windshield mount was perfect since I drive a big luxury boat, I was able to extend the phone so that I did not have to strain to touch the phone and the mount was very strudy. The car mount seemed like a solid build and the only thing I notcied was that since it stretches out there was definately some vibration as the phone bounced every so slightly as I was driving. I drive a luxury car so the vibration was not that bad, but I can imagine that if you were driving a truck with not so nice of a ride and had the car mount fully extended it would be bouncing all over the place. The windshield mount rotated 360 degrees and all the screws and knobs tightened very nice making one very solid and sturdy car mount. I definately recommend this car mount if you drive a larger vehicle.

OK here are car mount pictures!

182.jpg

181.jpg

180.jpg

183.jpg

Last edited: