CD car mount?

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone uses a car mount for their fold that uses the CD player to hold it instead of the vent or suction cup. The Fold 5 will be my first fold (I will have the S pen case) and I've had an Iottie for my notes/ultras that goes into the CD player and its been super solid for years.

Wireless charging is good, but no wireless charging is not a deal breaker, I can always plug in directly to the phone. I don't want anything in front of my vents, nor do i care for the suction mounts, thats why I am looking for a CD mount.

One thing I'm curious about. Most mounts seem to be 2 parts. the phone holder and then the part that clips to the vent on the part that clips to the vent there is a ball at the end that you put a "nut" over. the ball goes into the receptacle on the phone holder and then you tighten the nut. Does anyone know if that ball is a universal size or does each manufacturer have their own size? if it is universal or "industry standard", I could probably just use the part from the Iottie cd mount and connect it to the new phone holder. Picture below shows what I am talking about with the ball and such

mount.JPG

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The ball is usually universal. It's a 1" ball. I have a cd slot phone holder and I don't buy phone holders unless they have the swivel ball on them. I usually try to buy them on Amazon and look for a description of what size the ball is. A couple of times I took a chance not knowing what the size was and they have all fit.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The ball is usually universal. It's a 1" ball. I have a cd slot phone holder and I don't buy phone holders unless they have the swivel ball on them. I usually try to buy them on Amazon and look for a description of what size the ball is. A couple of times I took a chance not knowing what the size was and they have all fit.
I may try the one I like best and if its not the same size ball just return it. This is the answer i was looking for. Someone who has mixed brands before and had it work. At least i think thats what you are saying :)

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So I picked up the official samsung wireless car charger. The ball on the Iottie was much smaller than the ball on the samsung. However, the balls are removable so i was just going to switch the balls. Not so easy LOL Had to file down the post on the Iottie part to get the samsung ball to fit on it. Anyway got it working the way i wanted with a little modding. The samsung charger/holder with the iottie cd mount. The samsung charger is pretty slick.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
So I picked up the official samsung wireless car charger. The ball on the Iottie was much smaller than the ball on the samsung. However, the balls are removable so i was just going to switch the balls. Not so easy LOL Had to file down the post on the Iottie part to get the samsung ball to fit on it. Anyway got it working the way i wanted with a little modding. The samsung charger/holder with the iottie cd mount. The samsung charger is pretty slick.
I'm glad you got it to work. Sorry I gave you misinformation. I assumed that all the balls were the same size. That's what she...

• Haha
Reactions: MozartMan