Cheap protective case with cutouts for ALL buttons/ports?

ominousnimbus

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much looking for what the title says. I've been perusing Amazon and other sites looking at the most popular cases today, and I'm surprised at how none of them appear to meet my needs exactly.

The only reason I'm getting a case is to protect the screen in the event of a drop (say, from ear-level onto concrete, as a worst-case scenario). In other words, it needs to have a decent bezel on the front, preferably with a two-layer (soft+hard) design. As long as it accomplishes that, then the cheaper and smaller/thinner, the better. A plain, black design is preferable.

Now, a few of the ones I've browsed have come close. For example, the ACase Superleggera Pro. Unfortunately, the dealbreaker there is that the silicone layer covers the volume rocker and power button -- I definitely want those to be naked for maximum usability.

In all honesty, the two-piece rubberized snap-on designs like this appeal to me. Nice, thick bezel/frame protecting the screen (though, will a hard-shell alone prevent screen breakage on hard impact?). I may go with that if no one has any better suggestions, but ideally it would be similar to that, with a silicone layer beneath.

ominousnimbus

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: So I gave in and went with the ACase, despite my reservations about having the volume rocker and power button covered. It turns out that the silicon layer is thin enough that this isn't an issue, so I'm pretty happy overall.

On the other hand, I'm perplexed as to why the polycarbonate shell only grips the sides and not the top/bottom. This allows the silicon to be fairly loose in those areas, making me wonder how my screen would fare in the unfortunate event of a face-down drop that happens to land on the top/bottom first. I guess I'm just confused at how low a priority screen protection seems to be with the vast majority of popular cases. Do people really care more about fashion and protecting the throwaway-quality battery cover from scuffs than warding off a $200 screen repair?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796