Clipboard that allowed pinned items missing since S21 recent update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

First off I use Gboard instead of the Samsung keyboard, so I'm not sure if this particular clipboard was Samsung or Gboard. I still have access to the clipboard ON Gboard, the little clipboard icon, but I can no longer tap and hold on a text field and find the clipboard shortcut - that was the clipboard that I need, that allowed me to pin up to 20 items and saved other copied items forever (or until they were pushed off of the clipboard's available space by copying something new). This started as soon as my phone updated to the most recent update a few days ago.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Which firmware version are you referring to as "the most recent update a few days ago"? Was it BUK7? BUK9? Something else?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to the Gboard settings and make sure the Clipboard feature is activated in the first place.

smoky635

Nov 27, 2021
Visit site
Which keyboard u have as default?
Go to settings>general management>keyboard list and default>tap default which one you have as default?
We can start with this first .

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here, As a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

Gboard is my default and was also my default when I had the clipboard function as a shortcut on long press, the clipboard that let me pin 20 items

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that when you long-press any text, you don't see a Copy option appear? Or that when you long-press an empty text field, you don't get a Paste option?

If you're trying to paste a specific item saved to your clipboard, don't just long-press the empty text field. Tap it first to bring up Gboard, then tap the menu button on Gboard, then Clipboard.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Gboard is my default and was also my default when I had the clipboard function as a shortcut on long press, the clipboard that let me pin 20 items
You checked in gboard settings>clipboard are these toggle on ?
c02386d0b9d3316685cfdc8994bb435b.jpg

smoky635

Nov 27, 2021
Visit site
Are you saying that when you long-press any text, you don't see a Copy option appear? Or that when you long-press an empty text field, you don't get a Paste option?

If you're trying to paste a specific item saved to your clipboard, don't just long-press the empty text field. Tap it first to bring up Gboard, then tap the menu button on Gboard, then Clipboard.

I don't see a clipboard option when I long press the text field anymore. I had that as an option until this last update and it was a different keyboard than the Gboard clipboard. It allowed me to pin up to 20 items to it to save forever, and instead of deleting items from the clipboard after an hour, it would save them indefinitely until I copied something new that would replace the oldest unpinned item and kick it off the clipboard.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm a bit confused -- are you saying you're using a different keyboard app instead of Gboard, or that you're using Gboard and its clipboard feature seems to have changed?

In the Gboard clipboard, you need to pin items yourself in order to prevent them from being deleted. Otherwise, they get deleted after an hour. Are you seeing pinned items getting deleted anyway?

SPLASTiK

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
Sorry, I'm a bit confused -- are you saying you're using a different keyboard app instead of Gboard, or that you're using Gboard and its clipboard feature seems to have changed?

In the Gboard clipboard, you need to pin items yourself in order to prevent them from being deleted. Otherwise, they get deleted after an hour. Are you seeing pinned items getting deleted anyway?

I'm having the same issue as above. It disappeared with recent update. I'm not sure if this is Android, Samsung or Gboard issue but I've been using Gboard and the clipboard functionality has changed.

When you long press a field, the option to paste pops up and has an option for Clipboard next to it. Selecting Clipboard pulls up your clipboard history which you could also pin items. Clipboard is no longer there. It's different from the Gboard clipboard you select from the keyboard menu so I think it's maybe a Samsung UI thing?

Edit: on reddit there's some people with the same problem complaining about Gboard with the updates but the Clipboard Pop Up feature is there if you change your keyboard to Samsung's so some think it might be a new Android security permissions thing that Gboard hasn't addressed yet.

You can see a video of what it looks like here at the 55 sec mark: https://youtu.be/zTfQ4HBYXD0&t=55

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the explanation! Now that you describe it in more detail, I think I recall that as well. On my Pixel 6 Pro, I'm seeing the same as you. At this time, it looks like you have to bring up the keyboard and access the clipboard from there in order to paste a pinned item, rather than having that quick shortcut. I would send feedback to Google about this.

SPLASTiK

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
My clipboard right above the numbers why would i need to look shortcut in message field?

I prefer the other clipboard because it doesn't automatically remove entries after an hour. Sometimes I may not feel I need to pin something at that time but hours later it's something that would have been useful to have in my clipboard history.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I prefer the other clipboard because it doesn't automatically remove entries after an hour. Sometimes I may not feel I need to pin something at that time but hours later it's something that would have been useful to have in my clipboard history.
Ahh , i dont see that option like mentioned maybe they took it out .

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Mine had gone away also on BUK7 using the stick keyboard as well. I'm in BUK9 now. But, I think there should be a 3 dot menu (seems like that was what I did to fix it). Since I did that once, it seems to always show up now.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-clipboard-tips/

For what it's worth, the built in edge clipboard manager works better than gboard in my humble opinion. It keeps everything until you clear them all or individually delete. Screenshot_20211129-213549_Photo%20Editor.jpgSmartSelect_20211129-213016_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20211129-213833_Edge%20panels.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mine had gone away also on BUK7 using the stick keyboard as well. I'm in BUK9 now. But, I think there should be a 3 dot menu (seems like that was what I did to fix it). Since I did that once, it seems to always show up now.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-clipboard-tips/

For what it's worth, the built in edge clipboard manager works better than gboard in my humble opinion. It keeps everything until you clear them all or individually delete. View attachment 339408View attachment 339409View attachment 339410
Good thing you pointed that out , never used edge clipboard