"Common" complaints about the HTC One

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had some users complain about the thing being thin, and hard to hold and type on. Is that real or BS? Everybody seems to like the way the screen shows stuff, and of course the speakers. How's the camera? The other device I'm considering is the Motorola X, and the camera is its weakness. Thanks in advance (I realize that people differ on how the things are "in the hand", I get that.)

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
First off the camera is so so, better than others, worse than some. I dont find it does reds very well but it does get the blues which is much harder. The screen is wonderful, thats all I can say (except its the first phone I ever saw I could use in bright sunlight!) I have small hands and I havent had a problem holding it, any bigger yes but htis just makes it. I do find it easier with the case as the phone itself was a bit "slippery". (the seidio cases are great).Catch this babe while they are still giving it away for nothing in some places, well worth it!!!! I looked at the X too and Im not a big AMOLED screen fan so that shot it down for me.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Arguably still the best phone on the market.
Size is not an issue, battery is more than capable and the camera works fine for a "camera in a phone".
Sure there are newer phones with some shiny new widget or program (always will be) but fundamentally it does everything a smart phone should and more.
The speakers will spoil you and probably stop you from buying something with the standard speakers in back....(what a dumb idea now that I know better).
I have no negatives worth mentioning....well, actually I'm disappointed that it doesn't brew my coffee in the morning.
I always fall back on, you want a great camera...buy a camera. You want a tablet....get a tablet.
I want my smart phone to be a great phone first, smart everything else second.

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone. Best all around smartphone I've owned yet. But, you can't underestimate just exactly how terrible the camera is. I'm talking about the the quality of pictures. The app is fantastic. Zoe is revolutionary. But the camera is finicky with varying results of the same picture, taken at the same time, under the same conditions. The purple tint problem is very real. Then there are times that the camera really works and produces something beautiful. No consistency.

But the phone itself is hands down the best of 2013.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Great phone, love mine! I am absolutely spoiled by the front facing stereo speakers. It would be very hard to settle for less next time. The screen is awesome and just the right size, not to big, not to little. The camera is adequate. I am very pleasantly surprised by battery life. Coming from a razr Maxx I was spoiled, but the battery lasts me all day and then some. YMMV of course.
I did get an otterbox commuter case for it as I thought it needed something. I thought it a tad slippery to hold beforehand. One more comment is the RF seems to be outstanding and some of the best I've experienced. Better than my old moto Maxx and moto's are well known for their ability to pick up signal. I am very pleased with the ONE.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
For me the in hand thing isn't an issue of size or reach, for me the in hand thing is a matter of it's a hefty device and smooth as silk covered glass. I can't tell you how many times I almost dropped it just cause it wanted to slide out of my hand. A case solved that issue for me, otherwise I still fell it is the phone of the year. Battery could always be better, that goes for any device. I don't care for Blink Feed but that's not a flaw, that's personal. The camera does take pretty good pics, but you do, or at least I do, occasionally find myself needing to adjust the settings to get a better pic. That's apposed to just whipping out the phone and taking a pic, but like BB said if you want a camera... Otherwise it has been a really nice phone.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I had was the top speaker grill seal became worse over time. Got a replacement, everything is great. No complaints after my fix.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I had was the top speaker grill seal became worse over time. Got a replacement, everything is great. No complaints after my fix.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I've seen that on an awful lot of Ones. Did Verizon do a swap for you? It was something I worried about in getting this phone. I'm currently using an X, but the camera is really leaving a lot to be desired and I don't want to go to Samsung.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Speakers . Ya that's right. While clear it's not as laud as I thought it would be. At least on mine

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

droidbeat

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Best phone on the market. Just opportunities for improvement. Make it grippier. Give the audio a little more max volume. Reduce the bezel, increasing screen size without increasing phone size. Put nav buttons on-screen, so phone height can be reduced. Give the camera software more after-shot exposure editing tools. Make the buttons less flush.

droidbeat

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Love the camera. No longer need to constrain shots to just good lighting conditions. Color accuracy is better than my Droid DNA was. But the One needs the after-shot editing tools the DNA had.

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm into my second week with mine after retiring my trusty Thunderbolt and I absolutely LOVE this phone! The battery life is unbelievable. Fast. Wonderful screen.

My only concern is that the GPS seems to take a minute or two to connect with Waze.

Other than that, I'm sorry I waited so long to finally get it.

Posted via Android Central App

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I went to a store in Phoenix the other day and dicked around with it and the one I thought I was gonna love, the LG G2. That thing has an awesome big screen, and not such a big case. The side bezel is very thin. As much as I liked watching Youtube video on that screen I just don't watch much video on my phone. It's more of a gimmick. I really like the One's screen, it's not quite as big but looks as good. The speakers rock, and I use them. What's Blinkfeed, is that worth anything? I use Facebook (some), no Twitter. Txt, email, browse, and call. I've got maybe 20 apps, sports, NY Times, fantasy football. Does it help with that crap? I think this is the phone for me. The darn G2 was just a little too hard to hold and type on. It's sort of halfway between my Nexus and my wife's Note3.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I went to a store in Phoenix the other day and dicked around with it and the one I thought I was gonna love, the LG G2. That thing has an awesome big screen, and not such a big case. The side bezel is very thin. As much as I liked watching Youtube video on that screen I just don't watch much video on my phone. It's more of a gimmick. I really like the One's screen, it's not quite as big but looks as good. The speakers rock, and I use them. What's Blinkfeed, is that worth anything? I use Facebook (some), no Twitter. Txt, email, browse, and call. I've got maybe 20 apps, sports, NY Times, fantasy football. Does it help with that crap? I think this is the phone for me. The darn G2 was just a little too hard to hold and type on. It's sort of halfway between my Nexus and my wife's Note3.

Just to echo what the other replies have said. The ONE is still a great choice. I have relatively big hands and have no problem typing in landscape or portrait mode on it (I use the Thumbs Keyboard on mine which splits the keyboard in half making all keys easy to reach). The camera is tolerable to good. I prefer to keep my trusty Canon handy as often as I can but a great Forum poster once said "Any camera is better than NO camera when you really need one".

The sound is greatness (to those who want more volume, I turn Beats Audio OFF when listening to podcasts or anything using just voice. Also for Google Nav or Waze. The volume is MUCH louder without Beats which is actually doing sound equalization and suppresses mid-range frequencies and boosts bass and treble to get fat music playback range from the small speakers.) The screen is fabulous and, as was stated above, was a major selling point for me because it really is the only one I've seen so far that you can read in direct sunlight.

Excellent radios for both wifi and LTE. BlinkFeed is an odd duck but I added just a few sports, science, news and tech feeds to it and I find myself actually scrolling through the headlines more often than I thought I would and linking to articles of interest. So it may grow on you like it did me.

I won't knock other phones, not my style, and there is an embarrassment of riches on the market now, but I still recommend the ONE to anyone who asks about it.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using the Moto X and am still considering this phone. The screen, build, and camera (much better in low light than the X) are what is drawing me in. I have seen quite a few Ones from Verizon and all seem to have some gaps on the top of the phone - where the aluminum of the speaker meets the plastic/rubber in between the two aluminum pieces. I'm wondering how many people have seen this and if it gets worse over time or if you could just fight with Verizon until you find one without it.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using the Moto X and am still considering this phone. The screen, build, and camera (much better in low light than the X) are what is drawing me in. I have seen quite a few Ones from Verizon and all seem to have some gaps on the top of the phone - where the aluminum of the speaker meets the plastic/rubber in between the two aluminum pieces. I'm wondering how many people have seen this and if it gets worse over time or if you could just fight with Verizon until you find one without it.
I think that gap is not unusual in reading through this forum. I've seen others return their phones for the same reason.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I think that gap is not unusual in reading through this forum. I've seen others return their phones for the same reason.

Yeah, that's my problem with it. I'm so super anal about phones that I don't want to have to go through 15 before I get one that's just right. Other than that, I think this is probably the best Android phone on Verizon. Although I do love the X, just not enamored with the camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John H